Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:19 PM

Default Amazon FIRE TV

Today's Amazon.com front page advertisement, if you are interested:

Spoiler:
Dear Customers,

Today we are unveiling Amazon Fire TV.

Fire TV is a tiny box that plugs into your HDTV. It's the easiest way to enjoy Netflix, Prime Instant Video, Hulu Plus, WatchESPN, low-cost video rentals, and more. With instant access to over 200,000 TV episodes and movies, plus all your favorite subscriptions and streaming services, you can watch what you want, when you want. If you're a Prime member, you get unlimited access to thousands of popular movies and TV shows, including exclusives like Downton Abbey, The Americans, Alpha House, and Under the Dome.

Fire TV has voice search that actually works. The old way of searching with a TV remote—scrolling and clicking one letter at a time on an alphabet grid—is painful. With Fire TV you simply speak the title, actor, or genre into the remote and you're done.

Fire TV may be tiny on the outside, but it has huge hardware specs on the inside. It has a powerful quad-core processor, dedicated GPU, 2 GB of memory, and dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi. With a fast, fluid interface, high definition 1080p video, and Dolby Digital Plus surround sound, Fire TV looks—and sounds—amazing. We also added an exclusive new feature called ASAP that predicts what movies and TV episodes you'll want to watch and gets them ready to stream instantly. No one likes waiting for videos to buffer.

As a bonus, we also added games. With Fire TV you can play blockbuster titles like Minecraft, The Walking Dead, Monsters University, the Amazon exclusive Sev Zero, plus great free games. There are over a hundred titles to explore, with thousands more coming soon. These games are a great value—the average price of paid games is only $1.85.

Jeff Bezos
Founder & CEO

PS — Here's a preview of a fun new television ad for Fire TV that will begin airing soon. Enjoy.

Their TV ad for it is funny.

They're hoping Minecraft draws more interest to their gaming platform than Angry Birds did for Roku. It appears that this is an additional app store in addition to the Amazon appstore for their tablets. For example, would you have to buy Minecraft on both the Fire tablet and the Fire TV? It also appears that to play Minecraft (maybe all the games?) it requires a separate $40 controller.

The other items that appear unique to this device were not even listed in the front page letter and are listed last on the product's page:

Amazon FreeTime - this is like Kindle FreeTime on the Fire Tablets. You can put filters and time limits on content for kids.

Tablet mirroring - it only mentions the Fire HDX. It's not clear to me whether this would work on all apps. For example, if you had the Fire HDX and this box, would that work around the issue of the Fire TV not having mlb.tv or HBO GO?
Old 04-02-2014, 01:45 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

So, it's a "smart" blu-ray player, but without the blu-ray?
“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 04-02-2014, 03:29 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Four Peaks Kiltlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzookz View Post

For example, if you had the Fire HDX and this box, would that work around the issue of the Fire TV not having mlb.tv or HBO GO?
wrt mlb. tv I don't think so...right now you can watch mlb.tv on a kindle fire hd/hdx, but you can't even connect an hdmi cable from your tablet to a tv to watch the game on tv...which ticks me off
Old 04-02-2014, 03:56 PM
SOA

Studying for LP
Favorite beer: Cider

Question:

Is there anything special about Chromecast that enables it to work this way? Couldn't someone smarter than me create a ROM that you could load on any Android device (such as the Fire TV) to enable casting to it?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 PM

They really should have introduced it yesterday for the biggest prank-nonprank April Fools joke.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:37 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: too many to list here

you guys are going to be missing out on the most awesome device ever. it sucks to be you!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Weasley View Post
So, it's a "smart" blu-ray player, but without the blu-ray?
All this boxes work similarly to the "smart" part of the blu-rays and smart tv's. I recently bought a roku for a smart Vizio TV. I think the dedicated Roku box works better & has more channels that I watch, notably HBO GO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieFlyer View Post
wrt mlb. tv I don't think so...right now you can watch mlb.tv on a kindle fire hd/hdx, but you can't even connect an hdmi cable from your tablet to a tv to watch the game on tv...which ticks me off
It will be interesting to hear if this is also true for this setup.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:58 PM

Perusing the Fire TV app store, when I click on a game like Minecraft, it shows that I already own it. That would be a unique bonus for folks already in the amazon app store ecosystem.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for unpacking boxes
Favorite beer: Bombadier, London Pride, Any Samuel Smith Beer

I have a chromecast (2 actually) and a Roku 3.. Any reason I should buy this?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 AM
SOA

Studying for LP
Favorite beer: Cider

Yes. Because you're a and want to have the latests gadget.