Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #691  
Old 05-07-2019, 09:26 PM
Egghead's Avatar
Egghead Egghead is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,817
Default

So, before dropping another $1k on speakers, I decided to test something. I figured the easiest experiment I could do would be to pull out the old DCM TF600 speakers, place them in front of my existing side surrounds, rerun Audyssey XT32, and see if there was a deterioration in sound. If not, then there is no reason to buy a 6th and 7th JBL.

Well, I was surprised to find that, not only was there no drop-off in quality, but I actually preferred the DCM's for my surrounds! Those rear-firing tweeters have contributed to me having a VAST soundstage. And yet, imaging is still really nice.

I'm surprised that there's no drop-off in quality. The tweeters are very different technology between the DCM and JBL towers. Yeah, the DCM's can't reproduce the snap of the compression drivers in the JBL's. But somehow, that's not a problem. It's almost like the quality of the sound from my side surrounds is what my brain expects to hear coming from the sides, if that makes any sense.

Regardless, I spent no money, got a setup I like better, and my wife is happier because two of the bigger, uglier speakers are now replaced by smaller, less conspicuous ones.

Last edited by Egghead; 05-14-2019 at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #692  
Old 05-07-2019, 09:46 PM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,688
Default

Thatís a win! I love horns, the dynamics are just amazing. But for surrounds, youíre typically at much lower volume, so youíre not getting the power compression. And I agree that diffuse sound can really add spaciousness. For mains, I have mixed feelings, though I do like Magnepans, so.

I really need to chomp through a few projects so I can finish my Chevy install. No real plans to change anything at home. I donít recall if I mentioned it or not, I bought some NHT towers for the living room and Iím still really liking them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Butt-chugging seems like the best solution.
Reply With Quote
  #693  
Old 05-08-2019, 12:56 AM
Egghead's Avatar
Egghead Egghead is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,817
Default

Which NHT did you get? I've never heard those. I'm assuming one can only find those in stores that sell to audiophiles?
Reply With Quote
  #694  
Old 05-08-2019, 10:58 AM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Which NHT did you get? I've never heard those. I'm assuming one can only find those in stores that sell to audiophiles?
I got the Evolution T5, pic below. 12" sub in the base of each tower (sealed box) with a 250w amp to power them, then some three-way things that sit on top. I think they are circa 2005 or so, before NHT went bust, more or less. They are back, and they have some dealers where you can audition them... looks like there is one sort of near you. I haven't heard the new stuff and don't know a ton. In the past they mostly used Peerless mids/woofers and some (like mine) had an LPG tweeter. I don't know what the 12" woofers are in mine, I took one out and couldn't discern what the heck it is.

The T5, and most NHT stuff, is tuned close to neutral, I think the T5 might have juuuuust a slight bump in the treble, but it's not at all what I'd call 'bright.'

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Butt-chugging seems like the best solution.
Reply With Quote
  #695  
Old 05-09-2019, 12:54 AM
Egghead's Avatar
Egghead Egghead is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,817
Default

Interesting design. Makes me think somewhat of the Golden Ears Triton speakers, with the powered subwoofer built in. Surprisingly, I preferred the highest priced Triton that lacked the subwoofer. But maybe the dealer had the subs pumped up too much, to make sure potential buyers could tell what a difference they made.
Reply With Quote
  #696  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:08 AM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Interesting design. Makes me think somewhat of the Golden Ears Triton speakers, with the powered subwoofer built in. Surprisingly, I preferred the highest priced Triton that lacked the subwoofer. But maybe the dealer had the subs pumped up too much, to make sure potential buyers could tell what a difference they made.
Did you like the Tritons? I've not had a chance to hear them but I know they are well-regarded. I keep thinking they'll pop up at Rocky Mtn Audio Fest, but so far I haven't run into them.

Totally random, one pair of speakers I loved at RMAF last year were the Elac Debut 2.0, looks like they're up to $800/pr now, I seem to recall them being $700/pr at the time. They aren't world-class, but I listened to them and was pretty impressed... I sort of assumed they were in the $1,500 range. I'd want a sub with them for sure, but for a budget system I think they are tough to beat.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Butt-chugging seems like the best solution.
Reply With Quote
  #697  
Old 05-13-2019, 09:28 AM
Egghead's Avatar
Egghead Egghead is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Did you like the Tritons? I've not had a chance to hear them but I know they are well-regarded. I keep thinking they'll pop up at Rocky Mtn Audio Fest, but so far I haven't run into them.
My favorites were the Triton Fives, which is interesting because they're second from the bottom of that lineup. The Ones, Twos and Threes were all "+" models, meaning that they had the powered subwoofers in them.

I said in a post above that I wondered if the store had the internal subs boosted artificially. That's possible, but now I wonder if it had more to do with room resonances. I guess I'll never know. But the Golden Ear Fives hit a nice sweet spot. Not as airy as the Magnepans, but better than most speakers, while still preserving some very nice imaging.

Quote:
Totally random, one pair of speakers I loved at RMAF last year were the Elac Debut 2.0, looks like they're up to $800/pr now, I seem to recall them being $700/pr at the time. They aren't world-class, but I listened to them and was pretty impressed... I sort of assumed they were in the $1,500 range. I'd want a sub with them for sure, but for a budget system I think they are tough to beat.
Reviews indicate those 2.0 models are a nice upgrade from the previous model. I played with the idea of getting some of their surround speakers at one time, but that was before I got matching towers.

Last edited by Egghead; 05-14-2019 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #698  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:46 PM
Egghead's Avatar
Egghead Egghead is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
I just ordered the 5.1 version of Dark Side of the Moon. For that, I'll want to put the "wides" behind me, to get something more like the original "quad" sound. But it seems that 5.1 SACD's are going the way of the dodo, so maybe that shouldn't factor into my decision too much.
My "Dark Side of the Moon" 5.1 SACD finally showed up today (shipped from Portugal.) Holy cow, it's amazing. The sound effects at the beginning of "Money" each come from their own speaker, which bounces around the room. The toms solo in "Time" not only benefits from the more immersive soundstage, but as some reviews indicate, the remastering really cleaned it up and made everything "richer," for lack of a better term.

I didn't realize this, but the whole clock intro was something Alan Parsons recorded simply as a demo for what quad sound could do. Apparently the band liked it, and baked it into the album.

It's a darn shame the 5.1 SACD format didn't catch on more than it did. Then again, not every implementation of it is good. For example, I absolutely despise the 5.1 version of Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms."

But Dark Side was originally envisioned as quad rock, and it just really works.
Reply With Quote
  #699  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:56 AM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
My "Dark Side of the Moon" 5.1 SACD finally showed up today (shipped from Portugal.) Holy cow, it's amazing. The sound effects at the beginning of "Money" each come from their own speaker, which bounces around the room. The toms solo in "Time" not only benefits from the more immersive soundstage, but as some reviews indicate, the remastering really cleaned it up and made everything "richer," for lack of a better term.

I didn't realize this, but the whole clock intro was something Alan Parsons recorded simply as a demo for what quad sound could do. Apparently the band liked it, and baked it into the album.

It's a darn shame the 5.1 SACD format didn't catch on more than it did. Then again, not every implementation of it is good. For example, I absolutely despise the 5.1 version of Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms."

But Dark Side was originally envisioned as quad rock, and it just really works.
Oh dang, if I ever head your way I need to hear this. Dark Side is epic enough without surround-sound enhancements, that would really take it to 11.

Now you need to get Zaireeka from the Flaming Lips in 5.1. It was intended to be a quadraphonic album but someone mixed it to 5.1.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Butt-chugging seems like the best solution.
Reply With Quote
  #700  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:43 AM
Egghead's Avatar
Egghead Egghead is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Oh dang, if I ever head your way I need to hear this. Dark Side is epic enough without surround-sound enhancements, that would really take it to 11.

Now you need to get Zaireeka from the Flaming Lips in 5.1. It was intended to be a quadraphonic album but someone mixed it to 5.1.
Come on down!

Yeah, I was surprised how much difference it made to Dark Side. I see a lot of people say that the two other albums that most benefit from the 5.1 treatment are:

Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here"
Beck's "Sea Change"

I'm not sure I'm enough of a Beck fan. But I may have to pick up WYWH.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.15590 seconds with 10 queries