Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments > Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-16-2018, 10:00 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

I have sort of a related problem, or maybe you can tell me if it's related - I'm hovering around $100k in cash-like assets (not including Roth) at age 30 (I started maxing out 401k sorta late) and yet I don't own a house at all. My only debt is a $7k car loan @ 1% I'm not paying off.

I invest most of it in the market but part of me thinks I should use credit/income to my advantage and try to get into real estate either for myself or purely for investment as a sort of leverage.

The risk is a little off-putting and as Egghead mentions, the stress as well. I'm not sure I'd clear enough to make the venture worthwhile.

For myself, though, I sure do pay a silly amount in rent.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:46 AM
CAS

Studying for AINS 21 & 22

I wouldn't want to be buying a house now; house prices have run up a bit and as the interest rates climb, monthly payments are going to climb with them, presumably lowering or suppressing price appreciation - at some point.

How soon before a recession? 2 years? If that's the case I'll bet you get a better deal in 3-4 years. Is there a way to pay a less silly amount of rent in the meantime? I know you aren't exactly in a low COL area.

I wouldn't buy unless I either planned to stay there 10 years or thought the next job would relocate me.

You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Psalm 16:11)
Old 10-16-2018, 11:28 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
I have sort of a related problem, or maybe you can tell me if it's related - I'm hovering around $100k in cash-like assets (not including Roth) at age 30 (I started maxing out 401k sorta late) and yet I don't own a house at all. My only debt is a $7k car loan @ 1% I'm not paying off.

I invest most of it in the market but part of me thinks I should use credit/income to my advantage and try to get into real estate either for myself or purely for investment as a sort of leverage.

The risk is a little off-putting and as Egghead mentions, the stress as well. I'm not sure I'd clear enough to make the venture worthwhile.

For myself, though, I sure do pay a silly amount in rent.
maybe consider REITs? no landlord hassles
Old 10-16-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
I wouldn't want to be buying a house now; house prices have run up a bit and as the interest rates climb, monthly payments are going to climb with them, presumably lowering or suppressing price appreciation - at some point.

How soon before a recession? 2 years? If that's the case I'll bet you get a better deal in 3-4 years. Is there a way to pay a less silly amount of rent in the meantime? I know you aren't exactly in a low COL area.

I wouldn't buy unless I either planned to stay there 10 years or thought the next job would relocate me.
Cases against waiting to buy:

1.) Real estate is local. The last recession, which brought home prices down across the board, was due to a failure to understand correlated risk. This risk has now been studied for more than a decade.

2.) even in the last recession, it took ~6 years for the Case Shiller index to bottom out. So do we wait 2 years? Or 6-8 years? Such are the perils of market timing. We have to call bottoms.

3.) MM lives in a high demand part of the country.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Old 10-16-2018, 11:33 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
I got burned holding some cash in a REIT for a couple years. The ones I've seen are largely commercial and some of the biggest holdings were mall companies, etc. which are doing very poorly.

I'll throw it all in Sears, it's a bargain.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:43 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
Cases against waiting to buy:

1.) Real estate is local. The last recession, which brought home prices down across the board, was due to a failure to understand correlated risk. This risk has now been studied for more than a decade.

2.) even in the last recession, it took ~6 years for the Case Shiller index to bottom out. So do we wait 2 years? Or 6-8 years? Such are the perils of market timing. We have to call bottoms.

3.) MM lives in a high demand part of the country.
Haha, calling bottoms.

Sorry.

Chicago's CS index is barely at 2008 levels again finally while nationally this has been surpassed ~15-20%. Drilling down to my current neighborhood (somewhat higher-end) this is consistent. Some neighborhoods I imagine did not fully recover (back home, certain lower income places experienced high levels of foreclosure shutting down areas never to recover).

The city has unique problems that make me hesitant. An efficient market would tell me that this extra risk is all priced into rents and whatnot. That I'm not so sure of.

Part of me says "find a condo for $70k, pay cash" haha
Old 10-16-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Part of me says "find a condo for $70k, pay cash" haha
$70K!? That must be in the ChiRaq that Kanye was telling me about...

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Old 10-16-2018, 12:30 PM
CAS

13 years later the house I sold in 2005 is once again worth what I sold it for. My house is DSM is up 22%.

Wasn't sure how different Chicago would be. Lots of condos to choose from...

You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Psalm 16:11)
Old 10-16-2018, 12:33 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
$70K!? That must be in the ChiRaq that Kanye was telling me about...
Maybe 70K is the annual property taxes.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:49 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
REIT's are essentially a stock and behave accordingly.