Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 10-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

May have a chance against procrastinator. One OK bid and very well played* hand, but he may match it. One terrible result when I wasn't sure about the meanings of some bids but he might end up with a bad result, too. One unfortunate bidding decision where he might do the same but will likely do better.

ETA: * No, in retrospect should have been played better, but my line worked and some lines fail. The improvement on my line would not have produced any more tricks on the actual lie of the cards.

Last edited by Steve White; 10-09-2019 at 06:00 PM..
Old 10-09-2019, 09:17 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
Aargh! I may have just had my worst round ever against Klaymen. Some terrible plays, mostly just costing extra overtricks or undertricks. One poor bidding decision in a game vs part score auction. Then to top it off, a misclick leading to a contract down 6. I wasn't even contemplating that bid, just trying to find out the meaning of various bids (not including that one) but selected it. (The previous bid I checked on was that number of tricks, the bid I "chose" was the denomination I was now interested in checking, even though I thought it extremely unlikely to have a meaning I could use.

I even "survived" one absolutely horrible defense by CHO which should have cost an overtrick, with 0 risk to declarer by playing for the overtrick, but declarer handed it back.
Lost by 19. 10 on the poor decision on game vs part score. 11 for being in the wrong game, which I think is more the CHO's fault than mine. Or maybe mine. I hold
S-762 H-AJ9863 D-KQJ C-Q. Opps silent.
Presumably it is automatic to start 1H - 1S - 2H, at least Klaymen did also. What do you bid now after bot bids 3C?

And the misclick? Down 6 declaring 4D, while Klaymen was -110 defending 3D. 5 imps away. Good thing nonvul.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:23 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lost by 6 to procrastinator. Somewhat of a surprise how I lost 10 on board 3. I held S-AKQJxx H-Axx D-KQx C-x.
Both vul, 2D by LHO, P, P to me.

I elected to bid 3S, was very disappointed when CHO passed. 4S and 4H are both excellent, 4H better. I expected procrastinator would insist on game, probably by bidding 4S over 2H.

No, he bid 2S, which looks like it has the same meaning as 3S: 19+ points, rebiddable spades. His CHO naturally rebid 3H on his 6-card suit, raised to game.

I did pick up 12 imps from the bots. Even though I made a long-suit game try in spades, LHO led a spade on opening lead from J98 through dummy's K10xx, and RHO chose to play the Q from Q5, since I suppose LHO could have underlead the A. Anyway, that gave me a game, whereas without that lead and play procrastinator's 4H had no chance.

So much for that well played slam. Yes, it was, but procrastinator played it better than my actual line or even my improved line, for a push.

Other bad stuff be me too, including miscounting and opening 1NT on an 18 count missing a game.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:44 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW, per bots convention card:
Quote:
It's difficult to describe precisely how GIB defends. It doesn't use rules and guidelines, like humans often do. It simulates hands based on the auction, using double dummy analysis to determine the average result of each defensive play, and chooses the one with the best average.

GIB doesn't interpret your signals or make many inferences from the play, it uses simulations based on the auction. However, it's usually able to figure out that when you lead an honor, it's part of a sequence.
That may explain why LHO played the Q in that hand against procrastinator, or why CHO tried to give up an overtrick against Klaymen. In that case, against LHO's 5 club contract, I had led the heart 3. Declarer wins the A in dummy from AKJ7, pulls trump, plays the heart 10 to the K (4 from me) and leads the 7. CHO, who started with Q965 and thought he could afford the 9 as a signal at trick 1, decides he needs to play the Q, lest declarer have the 8 left, despite not taking the finesse and requiring me to have led the 3 from 43 doubleton.

But as the explanation of bot defense says, CHO wouldn't consider either of those.

I'll issue new 2-way challenges tomorrow, and a new 5-way after the current one is over (will expire around 3PM tomorrow even if not everyone has finished).
Old 10-10-2019, 04:09 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oirg wins the 5-way (only finished by 4) with the low score of +8 imps. He was the only one with +imps, so a pretty good margin of victory.

New 5-way challenge issued.

I'm cautiously optimistic in the 2-way against Klaymen, where I don't remember any serious mistakes. Some as-usual gifts to the opps by CHO, but maybe those will get pushed.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:35 PM
CAS

Studying for this space for rent

14 push boards against Steve, but he wins. I went for -500 and had the bots made 3NT I would have won.

3 tables into the group match and I was +30.5. Dare you to beat that.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:37 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
14 push boards against Steve, but he wins. I went for -500 and had the bots made 3NT I would have won.
They probably would have made it against me but this was finally a time when CHO's second hand high worked.

Quote:
3 tables into the group match and I was +30.5. Dare you to beat that.
I probably won't start that one until tomorrow. Meanwhile, looking bleak in the 2-way against procrastinator. Some awful defense by me early and little promise for pick-ups.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:19 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

11-11 tie vs procrastinator. Lost 11 imps when he overbid by at least 8 HCP. Per system agreements, which are a little strange. 1C (by LHO) - 1D - 1NT - Dbl. What does his double show? 18-19 HCP, which got him to a making 4H. I suspect he didn't look to see what Dbl would mean.

Meanwhile I challenged a star again, and won by 14-2, with the only swing more than 1 imp when I played a game better than he did. Well, I made it anyway, and would have made it if his play would make it, though double dummy I could have been beaten.

Meanwhile both the star and I avoided a potential trap, on exactly the same auction, on that hand. We held S-x H-AJxxx D-AQ9x C-Axx. We dealt and opened 1H:

1H 1S 2H P
3C 3S 3N P
?

Knowing that partner has values in spades, I'm wishing I hadn't even invited, but now what? I decided that even with 2 spade stoppers we might not have 9 tricks, and if his spades were A or K, that might be enough to let me make 4H. Star also bid 4H.

Good move. CHO's spades, despite the 1S and 3S bids, were only Qx.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:46 AM
CAS

In the multiway challenge, robots again defended atrociously on the first 2 boards, letting a slam and a game come in. On the the slam hand, robot was looking at AKQJx of hearts in dummy, and discarded a heart from 10xxxx to let the slam make. A similarly brutal misdefense in board 2 also. It was so bad it almost felt intentional.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You certainly seem to get the worst from bots. I hope you do. I haven't played those hands yet, and may get the same.

This spade suit in defending 5C was a push in my latest against Klaymen. Exact same play at both tables.
CHO has 9653. My LHO (declarer) has J10 Dummy (my RHO) has AK74. CHO has 9653. I have Q82. Actually one can argue that this misdefense cost nothing, given that the hand was likely to make on an endplay once CHO had failed to lead the heart suit I had opened the bidding with.

Anyway, declarer cashed the AK of spades (CHO dropping 65) and led the 7, covered by the Q, ruffed, and CHO decided he should drop the 9, establishing the 4 as the game-going trick.

Last edited by Steve White; 10-11-2019 at 10:16 AM..