Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 2/FM - Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-16-2017, 10:50 PM

Studying for P/1
College: M.S. University of Texas; B.S. Trinity University
Default Calculators

Do you all recommend taking two calculators (e.g., BAII Plus and 30XS) to exam FM or just one? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JimF; 12-18-2017 at 10:41 PM..
Old 12-17-2017, 12:02 AM
SOA

Iím definitely an outlier, but I found the financial calculator so frustrating that I used the TI-30XS exclusively and just became quick with entering annuity formulas. I had no problems doing this. In the rare case you need to solve the roots of a high degree polynomial (solving for an interest rate) you can use the table button and plug in the choices to see which solves it.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:11 AM
CAS

Both
Old 12-18-2017, 01:25 AM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo Alumni

Always take two just in case one stops working. Make sure you get them early so you have time to practice with them lots before exam day.
--
Fellowship Exams
Exam Analysis Cheat Sheet - The #1 way to set your studying priorities (Shows you which readings are historically tested most often)
Old 12-18-2017, 02:54 PM
SOA

Bring 2: the financial calculator, and literally any other calculator. If you don't have the TI 30XS Multiview, I suggest getting that. It took me maybe a week to get used to, and I never plan on using a different calculator again because it's so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3ta View Post
Iím definitely an outlier, but I found the financial calculator so frustrating that I used the TI-30XS exclusively and just became quick with entering annuity formulas.
I absolutely hated the financial calculator, the Ba II plus or whatever. I think I used it for like 2-3 questions (probably just 1, now that I'm remembering) on the exam. I used my other calculator for the rest of the questions, and I don't remember having issues with it. I probably would have been just fine without the financial calculator.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:43 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaliere View Post
Bring 2: the financial calculator, and literally any other calculator.
You better mean "any other approved calculator". Many others would be fine for doing the calculations, but if the calculator isn't on the approved list, you cannot use it for the exam.
Quote:
If you don't have the TI 30XS Multiview, I suggest getting that. It took me maybe a week to get used to, and I never plan on using a different calculator again because it's so good.

I absolutely hated the financial calculator, the Ba II plus or whatever. I think I used it for like 2-3 questions (probably just 1, now that I'm remembering) on the exam. I used my other calculator for the rest of the questions, and I don't remember having issues with it. I probably would have been just fine without the financial calculator.
Yes, almost all the problems could be done without a financial calculator. There could be some which cannot, especially "solve for the interest rate" questions. Even "solve for the interest rate" problems might be doable, since the exam is multiple choice, by just trying the various answer choices and seeing which one fits best.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:07 PM
AAA

I don’t understand why the HP-12c isn’t approved and I don’t understand why newer calculations have such mushy keys and such crummy layouts.

With the HP-12c, I can feel it in my bones when I miskey something but with the newer models I find I have a much higher unrecognized error rate.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:42 PM

Studying for P/1
College: M.S. University of Texas; B.S. Trinity University

Thank you all for your input.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:14 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscreteAndDiscreet View Post
I donít understand why the HP-12c isnít approved and I donít understand why newer calculations have such mushy keys and such crummy layouts.

With the HP-12c, I can feel it in my bones when I miskey something but with the newer models I find I have a much higher unrecognized error rate.
CFA Institute allows the HP12c. I wonder why the SOA doesn't.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:18 AM

SOA and CAS only allow some Texas Instruments calculators.