Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 1/P - Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 PM
SOA

College: Santa Clara University (B.S. in mathematics); University of Washington (M.S. in statistics)
Default Exam P / CAS 1 study manual from Actuarial AdvantEDGE

For those of you who are looking for a study manual for the probability exam, you do not need to look further than Actuarial AdvantEDGE's new study manual, available at www.ActuarialBookstore.com and www.actexmadriver.com.

Please see a sample copy of this manual (attached in this post). I am confident that a comparison of this sample manual with that of my competition will reveal that this manual is superior in its presentation, readability, clean and clear solution write-ups, tons of exam-caliber practice problems, and informative figures and graphs.

My experience as a math professor for three years challenged me to break down difficult topics into an accessible format for a lay audience. As an actuarial student, I learned how to solve exam problems efficiently and methodically. I have incorporated this skill set into the writing of this manual. I passed all 5 ASA exams and both FSA exams on the first sitting, with an average exam score of 9.4. I passed the probability exam with a 10. You too can achieve similar success with the right work ethic and exam resources, which is where my study manual can be highly valuable!

If you have any questions about this manual, feel free to contact me at P@ActuarialAdvantEDGE.com.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Actuarial AdvantEDGE (Sample Manual).pdf (574.2 KB, 3696 views)

Get the edge with Actuarial AdvantEDGE!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 PM
CAS SOA CCA AAA ASPPA COPA Non-Actuary

College: columbia university

plese advice what material do i study for exam P and where to get them please.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nuke View Post
Here is the pdf I used for reviewing for Exam P. I can't upload the raw tex as it exceeds the upload limit by a few K. If you want it, send a message or email and I'll be happy to provide it.

Cheers!
-Don
Hello could you please email me your raw notes? my email is kcravens@utk.edu I am taking the exam soon and am gathering everything! Do you have any more suggestions?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 AM
SOA

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteacher View Post
I typed up these tables to help me memorize the discrete distributions. I started each study session by filling in everything I could remember, then reviewing the things I didn't remember. I did the same with the continuous distributions, but I can't find the file

I found that knowing all the distributions like the back of my hand was somewhat helpful during the exam, but not nearly as helpful as having done tons of problems.
Good sharing!!! I found it a bit difficult too. I try to understand its concept and the formula. Hope to pass the exam on January!!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:28 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Northern Iowa

Coaching Actuaries just authored a brand new study manual for exam P/1, and we put together this review of the prerequisite math you should know as you begin preparing for exam P/1:
http://www.coachingactuaries.com/res...erequisite.pdf

In the past, we used to get a lot of emails from new exam candidates who are rusty on their math skills (especially career-changers) and who were looking for a review of the calculus and math needed for P/1. Hopefully this will be a useful review for those who need it.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for GED
Favorite beer: Scieoclean

ListOfProbDists.xlsx (go to view->normal)

in the excel sheet, i have notes on ways i considered to help me recall the different distributions and facts.

i have a word document with a filled in table using the more appropriate mathtype, but i'm having trouble uploading it, see below.

When I try to attach a word document, it tells me invalid file type. It's docx, i think meaning word 2010. it has a lot of equations written in math type. if i save it as 97-2003 format, it saves equations as images, and then the file size is all of a sudden too large.

here is a sample of the word document i am trying to attach

ListOfProbDists.pdf

i had an idea on how to organize my notes for the more general subject of probability (not just distributions above). this might give you an idea for how to organize them for P:

ProbNotes.pdf

make paragraph symbols visible to keep track of where boxes are anchored ( in word, not pdf)

Here's how i ended up filling those boxes:

ProbNotes2.pdf

(i think i had a better final version, but may have deleted hastily upon moving on to FM.)

again, i would love to attach the originals, but would think the word 2010 format would be best, while converting to 97-2003 format seems to make file sizes too large, since equations seem to be converted to images.

Any input on the matter?

Last edited by algebrat; 02-03-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

This distribution chart I made was extremely useful for when I took P. Let me know what you think of this and if there are any typos!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Exam P.pdf (405.3 KB, 4900 views)

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition
Old 03-20-2013, 02:10 AM
SOA

Can someone tell me how I'm looking for my upcoming sitting?

I'm taking P on 3/25 (this coming Monday). I used the TIA course to learn everything. So far, I've taken 4 of the practice exams and scored 22, 25, 23, 26. I'm going to start doing the 150 or however many problems from the SOA/Be An Actuary website next, then maybe a couple days of ADAPT, then back to the last TIA exams perhaps.

Do I seem to be going at a passing rate? How did the real thing compare to TIA exams?

Thanks for any advice!!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:11 PM
SOA CCA

Studying for P/1 Exam
College: Graduated 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebs520 View Post
Can someone tell me how I'm looking for my upcoming sitting?

I'm taking P on 3/25 (this coming Monday). I used the TIA course to learn everything. So far, I've taken 4 of the practice exams and scored 22, 25, 23, 26. I'm going to start doing the 150 or however many problems from the SOA/Be An Actuary website next, then maybe a couple days of ADAPT, then back to the last TIA exams perhaps.

Do I seem to be going at a passing rate? How did the real thing compare to TIA exams?

Thanks for any advice!!
So, did you pass?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:57 AM
CAS SOA

Favorite beer: Long Hammer IPA

Thanks!!