Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Professional Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 03-17-2017, 06:45 PM
CAS SOA

I'm currently a student and here are what I would like: Money AND housing. My current internship offers me lots of money, but it's in a high cost of living area, so I'm kinda bummed that if I want my own room, a quarter of my pay is gonna go away to housing and another quarter is prolly gonna go to taxes (im not sure about the taxes stuff). I'd much rather you dock my pay 20 or 25% and provide me housing because then atleast I'm taxed less (because I make less income).

Also the name of the company is pretty important in my opinion (atleast for me). Because you can't do anything about the name of your company, what you can do to compensate I would say is offer more perks (a sign on bonus, travel expense coverage, etc).

Me personally, I don't care about the project I do. As long as I'm not doing coffee runs (and that it's a legit actuarial internship), I prolly couldn't care much about the specific work I do. I might be different from most people my age... idk, but take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Spoiler:

"You have proven inferiority by displaying superiority in an inferior field" - me in real life.

Last edited by DansGinger; 03-17-2017 at 07:01 PM..
Old 03-17-2017, 06:51 PM
CAS

If only a quarter of your pay goes to housing it's not that high of a col area

VEE Econ VEE Corporate Finance

OC 1 OC2 COP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:01 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
If only a quarter of your pay goes to housing it's not that high of a col area
I'll say my internship pays very well... much higher than whats listed on glassdoor (or maybe I'm just a really cheap guy). Anyway a single bedroom near my internship goes for ~1200 a month ... not sure if thats the norm or not. Where I go to college, I share a room for ~350 a month.

Spoiler:

"You have proven inferiority by displaying superiority in an inferior field" - me in real life.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:18 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGinger View Post
I'll say my internship pays very well... much higher than whats listed on glassdoor (or maybe I'm just a really cheap guy). Anyway a single bedroom near my internship goes for ~1200 a month ... not sure if thats the norm or not. Where I go to college, I share a room for ~350 a month.
Haha is this Chicago? 1200 a month isn't bad at all.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:31 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Haha is this Chicago? 1200 a month isn't bad at all.
really? well maybe im just super cheap. how much are the places in new york/other expensive places going for for one bedrooms?

Edit: keep in mind I'm not renting an entire one bedroom apartment..... I'm subleasing a bedroom from a 3 bedroom house.

Spoiler:

Old 03-23-2017, 02:24 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Deep Ellum IPA

Quote:

Me personally, I don't care about the project I do. As long as I'm not doing coffee runs (and that it's a legit actuarial internship), I prolly couldn't care much about the specific work I do. I might be different from most people my age... idk, but take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Be careful what you ask for.

I think I was the same way starting out. But maybe it's still not a bad mentality to have. You will find out pretty quickly what you find interesting and what you don't

Though I have to admit, when I started out I used to get jealous of some of the assignments other noobies got. I felt I got stiffed on opportunities to gain some core and fundamental experiences. So I had to work extra hard to compensate for the lack of opportunities immediately presented to me. If I knew what I wanted to do at the time, I would have pushed to do other assignments. That's just me though.

Last edited by LifeContingent; 03-23-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Old 06-06-2017, 03:26 PM
SOA

Quote:
I'm currently a student and here are what I would like: Money AND housing. My current internship offers me lots of money, but it's in a high cost of living area, so I'm kinda bummed that if I want my own room, a quarter of my pay is gonna go away to housing and another quarter is prolly gonna go to taxes (im not sure about the taxes stuff). I'd much rather you dock my pay 20 or 25% and provide me housing because then atleast I'm taxed less (because I make less income).

Also the name of the company is pretty important in my opinion (atleast for me). Because you can't do anything about the name of your company, what you can do to compensate I would say is offer more perks (a sign on bonus, travel expense coverage, etc).

Any housing they provide you is treated as income and impacts your taxes accordingly. Due to my income being low enough I got a very large tax return due to the taxes paid on my housing for the summer.