Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Professional Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-17-2017, 06:45 PM
DansGinger DansGinger is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 157
Default

I'm currently a student and here are what I would like: Money AND housing. My current internship offers me lots of money, but it's in a high cost of living area, so I'm kinda bummed that if I want my own room, a quarter of my pay is gonna go away to housing and another quarter is prolly gonna go to taxes (im not sure about the taxes stuff). I'd much rather you dock my pay 20 or 25% and provide me housing because then atleast I'm taxed less (because I make less income).

Also the name of the company is pretty important in my opinion (atleast for me). Because you can't do anything about the name of your company, what you can do to compensate I would say is offer more perks (a sign on bonus, travel expense coverage, etc).

Me personally, I don't care about the project I do. As long as I'm not doing coffee runs (and that it's a legit actuarial internship), I prolly couldn't care much about the specific work I do. I might be different from most people my age... idk, but take my opinion with a grain of salt.
__________________
Good Life Quotes:

Spoiler:

"You have proven inferiority by displaying superiority in an inferior field" - me in real life.



Last edited by DansGinger; 03-17-2017 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-17-2017, 06:51 PM
redearedslider's Avatar
redearedslider redearedslider is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10,255
Default

If only a quarter of your pay goes to housing it's not that high of a col area
__________________
P FM MFE C 5 S 6 ACAS MAAA 7 8 9 FCAS FSA MBA CPA CFA CERA MS PhD

VEE Econ VEE Corporate Finance

OC 1 OC2 COP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-17-2017, 07:01 PM
DansGinger DansGinger is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
If only a quarter of your pay goes to housing it's not that high of a col area
I'll say my internship pays very well... much higher than whats listed on glassdoor (or maybe I'm just a really cheap guy). Anyway a single bedroom near my internship goes for ~1200 a month ... not sure if thats the norm or not. Where I go to college, I share a room for ~350 a month.
__________________
Good Life Quotes:

Spoiler:

"You have proven inferiority by displaying superiority in an inferior field" - me in real life.


Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:18 PM
hjacjswo hjacjswo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
College: About to be a super senior
Posts: 974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGinger View Post
I'll say my internship pays very well... much higher than whats listed on glassdoor (or maybe I'm just a really cheap guy). Anyway a single bedroom near my internship goes for ~1200 a month ... not sure if thats the norm or not. Where I go to college, I share a room for ~350 a month.
Haha is this Chicago? 1200 a month isn't bad at all.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-21-2017, 02:31 AM
DansGinger DansGinger is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Haha is this Chicago? 1200 a month isn't bad at all.
really? well maybe im just super cheap. how much are the places in new york/other expensive places going for for one bedrooms?

Edit: keep in mind I'm not renting an entire one bedroom apartment..... I'm subleasing a bedroom from a 3 bedroom house.
__________________
Good Life Quotes:

Spoiler:

"You have proven inferiority by displaying superiority in an inferior field" - me in real life.


Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-23-2017, 02:24 PM
LifeContingent's Avatar
LifeContingent LifeContingent is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Favorite beer: Deep Ellum IPA
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGinger View Post

Me personally, I don't care about the project I do. As long as I'm not doing coffee runs (and that it's a legit actuarial internship), I prolly couldn't care much about the specific work I do. I might be different from most people my age... idk, but take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Be careful what you ask for.

I think I was the same way starting out. But maybe it's still not a bad mentality to have. You will find out pretty quickly what you find interesting and what you don't

Though I have to admit, when I started out I used to get jealous of some of the assignments other noobies got. I felt I got stiffed on opportunities to gain some core and fundamental experiences. So I had to work extra hard to compensate for the lack of opportunities immediately presented to me. If I knew what I wanted to do at the time, I would have pushed to do other assignments. That's just me though.

Last edited by LifeContingent; 03-23-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-06-2017, 03:26 PM
FunActuary FunActuary is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGinger View Post
I'm currently a student and here are what I would like: Money AND housing. My current internship offers me lots of money, but it's in a high cost of living area, so I'm kinda bummed that if I want my own room, a quarter of my pay is gonna go away to housing and another quarter is prolly gonna go to taxes (im not sure about the taxes stuff). I'd much rather you dock my pay 20 or 25% and provide me housing because then atleast I'm taxed less (because I make less income).

Also the name of the company is pretty important in my opinion (atleast for me). Because you can't do anything about the name of your company, what you can do to compensate I would say is offer more perks (a sign on bonus, travel expense coverage, etc).

Me personally, I don't care about the project I do. As long as I'm not doing coffee runs (and that it's a legit actuarial internship), I prolly couldn't care much about the specific work I do. I might be different from most people my age... idk, but take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Any housing they provide you is treated as income and impacts your taxes accordingly. Due to my income being low enough I got a very large tax return due to the taxes paid on my housing for the summer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.23242 seconds with 9 queries