Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-19-2017, 04:58 PM
SOA

If you want sports games, go the console route instead of the PC route.

From there - PS4 has the only baseball game if you want that. If you don't care about that, see which controller you like better and buy that one.

Also, the PC route will be harder to set-up and to sell down the road, whereas the console route you just buy it and play it.

If you were into Skyrim or Dark Souls type of games, I would recommend the PC, but for sports/fighting/COD just go the console route.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:08 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
I like the relative simplicity of a console.
I've gone console route because of the simplicity. The trouble that Diablo 3 had just getting it to launch (having to create a new admin account to launch the game, exit, delete the admin account, then launch from my main account - which was also an admin account) to play, I just don't have the time or interest to troubleshoot and tweak games to make sure that they play, let alone tailor a game to my exact preferences.

That is the biggest difference between PC and consoles. If you want control to exactly tailor a game to your personal specifications - you want a PC. If you want to sit down and just play - a console is a better choice.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:45 PM

Studying for your mom
Favorite beer: Schlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
Are you playing with yourself, or will others be playing, too?
by myself, with my old lady yelling at me, or helping the gardener for oddly long periods of time
Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 AM

Make sure that you have a reliable and efficient power supply if you're going to upgrade your video card. I'd recommend a power supply with at least a 80+ Bronze efficiency certification.

The wattage size of the power supply will depend on your system components (with the video card likely being your most significant contributor), but you'll probably want to be at or above 650W if you go with a 1080 Ti. The 1070 only needs a 500W PSU, for comparison's sake.

Sea Sonic actually has a slick PSU calculator where you can input your system specs and it'll spit out the system's estimated max load:

https://seasonic.com/psu-calculator/
Old 06-20-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
Seems most of my friends went the PS4 route. Go with what your friends do imo. It's more fun that way. If that's not a consideration, I don't think it matters much.
weren't they supposed to combine the systems for online play? I seem to remember hearing about that awhile back, maybe for FIFA. FYI, I don't have either system
Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
weren't they supposed to combine the systems for online play? I seem to remember hearing about that awhile back, maybe for FIFA. FYI, I don't have either system
There are a handful of games that you can play cross-platform. The biggest example is probably Rocket League. But I've heard Sony has used their market share to pull out of cross platform agreements, saying they must think of the children! (that's actually their excuse, that they can't control the experience and want to make it a safe space for kids). Microsoft has experimented with the idea some between Xbox and Windows, but they've said the competition isn't fair when you give one player a mouse and keyboard and the other a controller.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
the competition isn't fair when you give one player a mouse and keyboard and the other a controller.
this is absolutely true. I was referring to Playstation and XBOX (and maybe whatever Nintendo has out there?). again, I'm far out of this generation's console loop.