Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MFE
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for $

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Disreputable Dog View Post
15 days

Candidly, I wouldn't worry about whether the exam will be bad or not. The only thing that can come of it is more worry. Focus on your plan for the next two weeks. That's what matters and what you can control. Make a plan and execute. It's clutch time!

My plan is the following:

For the last few weeks I've been skimming through each section of the ASM manual, rereading my notes, and redoing most of the practice problems. This has been good to just freshen things up in my memory.

There are two weeks left, and I've got about half the sections left to go doing this. I'm going to work on it up until July 1st or 2nd, then I'm going to take most of the remaining days to really hammer on the sections where I know I'm weak(er) (Monte Carlo, exotic options, calculating Greeks, and probably some interest rate trees).

I'm going to do two more practice exams, one this weekend, and one the following weekend just to keep practicing my timing.

Fun times! What's everyone else doing for the next two weeks?

And after the exam I have a nice beer saved (some kind of barrel-aged Narwhal from Sierra Nevada). I also plan to take at least one mega-nap over the weekend. It's going to be awesome!

EDIT: I take that back. If people want to talk about the exam being friendly and fun because of the new syllabus - I'm all for that. Positivity and confidence are what we all need!
My enthusiasm has waned somewhat and I feel I'm dragging my feet through this last mile of the marathon. I'll try to do as many practice questions I can in this last 2 weeks.

Just committed to the October Exam S today. I think this motivates me a little, to just get through MFE and get it over with.
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Haven't started practice problems yet. I finish studying the material on Sunday then I have 2 weeks to do practice problems. I'm sprinting right now. Got rid of all of my social obligations and will take some personal days soon.
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE
Favorite beer: free

Quote:
15 days

Candidly, I wouldn't worry about whether the exam will be bad or not. The only thing that can come of it is more worry. Focus on your plan for the next two weeks. That's what matters and what you can control. Make a plan and execute. It's clutch time!

My plan is the following:

For the last few weeks I've been skimming through each section of the ASM manual, rereading my notes, and redoing most of the practice problems. This has been good to just freshen things up in my memory.

There are two weeks left, and I've got about half the sections left to go doing this. I'm going to work on it up until July 1st or 2nd, then I'm going to take most of the remaining days to really hammer on the sections where I know I'm weak(er) (Monte Carlo, exotic options, calculating Greeks, and probably some interest rate trees).

I'm going to do two more practice exams, one this weekend, and one the following weekend just to keep practicing my timing.

Fun times! What's everyone else doing for the next two weeks?

And after the exam I have a nice beer saved (some kind of barrel-aged Narwhal from Sierra Nevada). I also plan to take at least one mega-nap over the weekend. It's going to be awesome!

EDIT: I take that back. If people want to talk about the exam being friendly and fun because of the new syllabus - I'm all for that. Positivity and confidence are what we all need!
my plan --
10 question ADAPT quizzes (difficulty 4-7), section by section, until I am able to reach 90%+, then move on to the next section. today I am starting this for section 10 so three more to go. I am hoping to finish this by Sunday. then I will begin smashing practice exams for the the following two weeks up until exam day - July 12.

I will probably take some advice from your plan and focus on weak areas if I start to notice any spots where I'm reeeeeaaalllllyyyy struggling. right now my main weak area is not a specific topic, but finishing the exam within the 3 hours. so that is my main focus for now!

Old Today, 02:15 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

CoachingActuaries just added a video on "Calculating Option Greeks." I'll go watch it after work.
Old Today, 02:30 PM
CAS

Studying for MFE

hmm SOA sample problems are kinda trickier than I expected..especially the ones that doesn't involve a lot of calculation
CPCU (5/8)
Old Today, 04:54 PM
CAS

Studying for prelims
College: Somersby School
Favorite beer: Worldwide Stout

14 days

Was this the second set of sample problems that was tricky?
Old Today, 05:08 PM
CAS

Studying for MFE

Quote:
14 days

Was this the second set of sample problems that was tricky?
No...the first set. I was shocked that I couldn't even get the first problem (about zero-cost purchased collars) right. I still don't understand the solution to this one I think I'm fine with previous MFE materials.
CPCU (5/8)
Old Today, 05:28 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE
Favorite beer: free

Have y'all done the SOA sample problems? I've seen mixed thoughts on how helpful they are. I guess if time allows..... \_(ツ)_/

Tags
guinea pigs