Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 04-16-2019, 05:07 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
Regarding the math stuff: knowing how to calculate outs (and the probability of hitting those on the flop/turn) and understanding pot odds are ESSENTIAL to playing correctly, so do not gloss those over. They're simple and for a math-brained person, easily understandable in probably 10 minutes time.

The deeper level math of combinatorics and figuring out opponents' ranges is also important if you want to get "really good". Phil Gordon's Little Gold Book is available for free and has a good 50 page or so primer. I'm sure you would pick it up quickly also, and I recommend it as a base. Will you use this stuff often? Probably not right away. But it will help you start understanding some of the meta-game that you mention at the end there.
I hadn't heard about the gold book. I've read the green one, which is pretty good for a starter.

Not sure what you mean by "free."
Old 04-16-2019, 05:09 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
1. He's before me so is on a tighter range presumably
2a. More likely to play a wider set of hands if risk of ruin is impending.
2b. A deeper mutual stack relative to BB increases implied odds on 'sleeper' hands (like a pair made into a set or a straight) and like you said, flushes in multiway are dangerous, likely to be bullied out before turn or beaten by a higher flush
3. Assume 1/2 players are looser and play more prospective hands. Would take larger bets to get folds on big hands (therefore not that worthwhile)
4. 5xBB is pretty big for a SB/BB to call for value. Those 2.5x-3x BB bets not so much but the blinds will probably play with hands as big as mine and not gamble on prospective stuff. Seems like fold or reraise but little in between would be optimal.
5. Same logic, I'll go over the top with something big but even if I think I can bust the guy on a draw the risk of a reraise down the line would entice me to fold much else. Being on button I might call to see a flop on something like a suited connector (hoping for a well priced cont bet or a free card on a made slowplay).

Am I sorta getting it?
Good analysis. Should be able to do this in a few seconds or so at the table.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:22 PM
SOA

Johnathan Little put out some good ones on audio for tournaments.

Crush Live Poker is good for low limit live cash. I believe there are still some older Bart Hanson podcasts that are free to download.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:41 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
1. He's before me so is on a tighter range presumably
2a. More likely to play a wider set of hands if risk of ruin is impending.
2b. A deeper mutual stack relative to BB increases implied odds on 'sleeper' hands (like a pair made into a set or a straight) and like you said, flushes in multiway are dangerous, likely to be bullied out before turn or beaten by a higher flush
3. Assume 1/2 players are looser and play more prospective hands. Would take larger bets to get folds on big hands (therefore not that worthwhile)
4. 5xBB is pretty big for a SB/BB to call for value. Those 2.5x-3x BB bets not so much but the blinds will probably play with hands as big as mine and not gamble on prospective stuff. Seems like fold or reraise but little in between would be optimal.
5. Same logic, I'll go over the top with something big but even if I think I can bust the guy on a draw the risk of a reraise down the line would entice me to fold much else. Being on button I might call to see a flop on something like a suited connector (hoping for a well priced cont bet or a free card on a made slowplay).

Am I sorta getting it?
Regarding 2b, I typically only think about implied odds before the flop regarding pocket pairs. Hitting a set is highly disguised, and if your opponent has a monster stack (effective size), your implied odds go up.

Regarding 4, 5x seems like a standard raise at most 1/2 tables so don't assume blinds will fold for this amount.

Overall though, it sounds like you're on the right track! Good job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I hadn't heard about the gold book. I've read the green one, which is pretty good for a starter.

Not sure what you mean by "free."
I just meant you can download it for free on your phone/iPad/etc
Old 04-17-2019, 01:42 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure 8 View Post
Accumulation of poker hands experienced is a huge factor in how good you become, imo.

Sounds like a good plug for the AO poker league