Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:41 PM
SOA AAA

Default Valuation Actuary Symposium 2017

Bring an umbrella? Maybe a boat?

Any experienced travelers want to weigh in on how much rain might keep flights from landing in San Antonio?
Old 08-24-2017, 06:45 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Still planning to travel, hoping for the best. Thankfully, it's not in Houston.

I did get a notification today from American Airlines asking if I wanted to change flights, and that they'd waive the change fee.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Referral? clicky
Old 08-25-2017, 03:02 PM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

I was originally supposed to connect through Houston but got that changed. My plan right now is to monitor the situation tomorrow and Sunday morning (my flight doesn't leave til Sunday afternoon). If things look bad in San Antonio or if most/all flights are getting cancelled, I'll probably back out. My thinking is that after the storm hits land, we might have a better idea of how bad S.A. is going to be.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:41 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneGirl View Post
I was originally supposed to connect through Houston but got that changed. My plan right now is to monitor the situation tomorrow and Sunday morning (my flight doesn't leave til Sunday afternoon). If things look bad in San Antonio or if most/all flights are getting cancelled, I'll probably back out. My thinking is that after the storm hits land, we might have a better idea of how bad S.A. is going to be.
Pretty much.

I called the hotel, and they are waiving the cancellation cost if you cancel your reservation. The rep also mentioned that there have already been a number of cancellations due to Hurricane Harvey.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:41 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Rush River: The Unforgiven Amber Ale

I see this is now on the SOA website:

Update on the Valuation Actuary Symposium: Hurricane Harvey may reach landfall on the Texas coast by Saturday, followed by heavy rain in the San Antonio area this weekend. The safety of our members and attendees are of the utmost importance to us. At this time, the symposium will continue as scheduled. We are closely monitoring the weather and will provide further updates as necessary. We will refund registration fees for those who must cancel as a result of the weather in Texas.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:51 PM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat? View Post
Pretty much.

I called the hotel, and they are waiving the cancellation cost if you cancel your reservation. The rep also mentioned that there have already been a number of cancellations due to Hurricane Harvey.
My coworker is already there (went early for vacation....bet that's fun) and the hotel told her "don't worry, we have generators and we've never flooded. You'll be fine". My boss asked me how many days I would be out of the office next week. I said "Two...or maybe none...or maybe 5.....".
Old 08-25-2017, 06:18 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer

Email just went out from the SOA - final call will be made at 9am CST tomorrow.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:13 PM

Best case scenario I think - Harvey quickly weakens and largely misses San Antonio. Still lots of wind and rain though. Half of the people don't show - making the sessions essentially 45 minutes instead of 75.

Doesn't seem worth the risk of the worse scenarios right?
Old 08-25-2017, 07:19 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoucag View Post
Best case scenario I think - Harvey quickly weakens and largely misses San Antonio. Still lots of wind and rain though. Half of the people don't show - making the sessions essentially 45 minutes instead of 75.

Doesn't seem worth the risk of the worse scenarios right?
Hmm, I post this and minutes later it got cancelled. At least someone is listening to my risk presentations
Old 08-25-2017, 07:48 PM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

Cancellation was probably for the best (except for my two coworkers who are already there...they can hunker down in the hotel and eat all the conference food we would have eaten, they should be fine). Kinda glad I don't have to spend my entire Sunday now watching for flight updates and worrying I'll be stuck in my connecting city.