Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:32 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Default Leaving school off resume

Do you think it would be okay for an experienced person (fellow) to leave their school and degree off their resume?

Nobody seems to have asked about or cared about where I went or what I studied, but for the jobs I've listed, people are very interested about those and ask me all sorts of questions about them. I figure leaving the education portion off my resume could free up 20% more space for more experience. At this point in time my work experience/# of companies is piling up and it's difficult to put on one page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:39 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Eleven years post-graduation, my college and degree are on one line at the very bottom of my resume. No GPA listed or additional detail. Doesn't take up much space at all.

I got the feedback from a resume building company a few years back that my education detail was no longer relevant as long as I was looking for a job in the industry I was already in.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:44 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Do you think it would be okay for an experienced person (fellow) to leave their school and degree off their resume?

Nobody seems to have asked about or cared about where I went or what I studied, but for the jobs I've listed, people are very interested about those and ask me all sorts of questions about them. I figure leaving the education portion off my resume could free up 20% more space for more experience. At this point in time my work experience/# of companies is piling up and it's difficult to put on one page.
I stopped following the one page rule a while ago.

I assume nobody will look past the first page, so I put the stuff I want them to see on there, but my full resume is 2 or 3 pages long.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:47 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
I stopped following the one page rule a while ago.

I assume nobody will look past the first page, so I put the stuff I want them to see on there, but my full resume is 2 or 3 pages long.
Oh yeah, I missed this bit the first time. I think the one page rule is completely bogus. My resume is 2 pages. Make it as long as it needs to be.

I agree with the part about putting the stuff you want them to see on the front. The second page is for less relevant previous jobs, education, volunteerism, and "other" experience. I will say, though, that I know people are reading that page because I always get asked about my secondment, and that's in the bottom half of the second page.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post

20%??? Put it on one line, at the bottom.

I'd wonder if you left it off. I might wonder legal things, like whether you have a degree, and I might wonder illegal things, like whether you are trying to disguise the fact that you are an 86 year old career changer.

A woman in another industry told me that in her field, it's becoming common to only list the last 10 years or so of your experience. If that were the case, you could, of course, leave off the education. But we are a conservative industry and that would be weird here.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:52 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post

I'd wonder if you left it off. I might wonder legal things, like whether you have a degree, and I might wonder illegal things, like whether you are trying to disguise the fact that you are an 86 year old career changer.
It takes up a little more than one line, since I have one line with a larger font indicating that it's the Education section, one line for the school name, and one line each for the degrees I earned there. And there needs to be whitespace between the sections. I've gradually removed stuff over the years like the thesis, GPA, and I think the next to go might be PBK. After that I could condense the degrees on one line but as we take this logic further the Education section might just disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:58 AM

Yeah, don't have an education "section", just list it someplace. I have two degrees and they take two lines. FCAS and MAAA are a third line. They're at the top of the resume, with no special formatting or section breaks, before you get to the meat of the resume.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:58 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post

A woman in another industry told me that in her field, it's becoming common to only list the last 10 years or so of your experience. If that were the case, you could, of course, leave off the education. But we are a conservative industry and that would be weird here.
If you left it off I'd be immediately wondering this, although would guess that it was space concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Oh yeah, I missed this bit the first time. I think the one page rule is completely bogus. My resume is 2 pages. Make it as long as it needs to be.

I agree with the part about putting the stuff you want them to see on the front. The second page is for less relevant previous jobs, education, volunteerism, and "other" experience. I will say, though, that I know people are reading that page because I always get asked about my secondment, and that's in the bottom half of the second page.
I'm definitely pro-1 page. The point of the resume is to get to a longer conversation, so in my view the 1 page is the top page of information about me. If you have 2 pages of information then that first page must be incredible and they'll hear all about the second page in the interview.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:59 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Eleven years post-graduation, my college and degree are on one line at the very bottom of my resume. No GPA listed or additional detail. Doesn't take up much space at all.

I got the feedback from a resume building company a few years back that my education detail was no longer relevant as long as I was looking for a job in the industry I was already in.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:59 AM
CAS

I do put Education after job experience though, since it's definitely less relevant.