Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-25-2019, 01:04 PM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post

But the nest thing seemed super cool. Apparently internet as good as if you were hard wired, but wirelessly throughout because of the way the little ports work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post

Though it did seem to have cool features, typical of a Google device. Like ability to see how much volume any device is using, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
And the ability to pause internet to a group of devices at scheduled times. I've used that before with the kids.
All these features are also available with amplifi HD mesh.
The app is super useful and gives you very easy control over everything.

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Old 10-25-2019, 01:13 PM
SOA

Seems like Amplifi costs $340 for router + 2 points, and nest wifi is $350 for router + 2 points, but those points double as smartspeakers. Are there any important differences I don't know about that would be material in choosing Amplifi HD instead?
Old 10-25-2019, 03:11 PM
CAS

Studying for this space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Agree. Got a 3-pack on sale at CostCo iirc.
That's what I have - all the router setup stuff is in the basement and always struggled to reach the second floor until I bought these which work perfectly.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:19 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
My router was a netgear nighthawk 1750 (r6700v2), which worked pretty well as long as firmware was up to date. Tried to update it yesterday and about half way through it randomly got corrupted. Tried manually updating it through their FTFP instructions, but kept getting errors trying to ping the router so I'm led to believe it's somewhat dead.
There isn't a factory reset button that will set it back to the original firmware or its last good firmware?
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 10-28-2019, 12:15 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
There isn't a factory reset button that will set it back to the original firmware or its last good firmware?
Don't think so. I tried all the different methods of holding reset button for 10 seconds while powering on the router, etc. It will get into 'recovery mode' where the power LED flashes white, which supposedly allows me to manually push the firmware to it, but when I do that I can't seem to ping it successfully, so no luck getting firmware on it manually.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:42 PM
CAS

There are some router packages that have integrated powerline adapters. I think this is a nice technology.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:01 AM

I have the Tp Link Deco 5. Its a similar size as google wifi and I believe has internal guts (Qualcom kit) but different software. A 3 pack is frequently 150 or less.

I was amazed how quickly it set up and how stable its been. 3 months+ without a single issue. I have a two story and basement. In the past I used Powerlines (needed reset fairly often) and a MOCA bridge in the basement (this router fried which got me to try the DECO 5). The mesh setup is so much easier and more stable, highly recommend for anybody who has prior issues filling entire house with Wifi.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:26 PM
SOA

Do you all think Google will have black friday discounts for the their nest wifi that's released today? I want to believe they will, since last year saw deals for Pixel 3 that was released the month before too.

Normally waiting 3 weeks anyway would be no problem, but I'm borrowing a coworker's router for the time being and we're moving states in 2 weeks, so puts me in a slightly awkward time frame.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:43 PM

If you are going for a mesh wifi solutions, make sure it allows a wired backhaul since your house is wired up. I do not think all of them do. I have the Amplifi HD kit with an additional standalone Amplifi router. I connect the 2 Amplifi routers with ethernet, one functions as a wifi router. The other acts like a switch with wifi.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:35 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Dragon View Post
If you are going for a mesh wifi solutions, make sure it allows a wired backhaul since your house is wired up. I do not think all of them do. I have the Amplifi HD kit with an additional standalone Amplifi router. I connect the 2 Amplifi routers with ethernet, one functions as a wifi router. The other acts like a switch with wifi.
I haven't used Amplifi, but I've been using Unifi for years now. For the price, there really isn't a better performing system than Ubiquiti's gear, I don't think. I love their routers, switches, and access points. They typically do have a bit of a learning curve, but definitely doable for someone with medium technical skills.