Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:38 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for IFM
College: Postgraduate
Post Entry Level Resume Critique

Hi everyone! I'm currently applying for entry level jobs and would love a second set of eyes on my resume. Please be blunt; I can take it. A few things Iíve been wondering:
  1. Color or no color?
  2. Pdf or word doc? If I send it as a pdf will it interfere with keyword searches?
  3. Should my Technical Skills section be renamed as Programming Skills?
  4. Is there anything here or anything missing that's hindering my chances? Any area that would be concerning as a hiring manager?
  5. If I sound stupid or if any of my bullets are confusing please PLEASE let me know lol.

Thank you all in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Resume Review.pdf (77.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 11-07-2019, 01:54 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

It look a little cramped. A couple things that I think are contributing to that are the small margins (I'd try to keep a full inch, although you can probably get away with less on the left with the right aligned section headings) and the small amount of space between sections. That's especially bad near the top where you have 5 lines of section heading in 10 lines or so. It all just runs together.

I'd put the exam section first. I'd not list the exam topic. It's not necessary and just contributes to it looking dense. I'd put the passed/sitting as a left-aligned column fairly near the exam name. It's harder to read stuck over on the rhs. I'd keep only dates on the right margin.

I'd abbreviate months everywhere. It thins it out just a little, makes things line up a little more, and is easier to read.

I'd not use italics. It's harder to read.

I'd abbreviate B.S. "Cumulative" is not necessary. Dean's list is a reflection of GPA and since you've already listed that, there's no real point in dean's list imo. You don't really need the "graduated".

I think the first bullet is stronger without the "reporting". The idea is to keep the focus on how the work affects the business. Results are best, big picture next. An analysis framework seems to be much closer to this than a report.

Second bullet similarly starts with a task-y "tracked" when the point really is at the end of the bullet.

Third bullet is worse. Never mention "tasks" or "routine" or "such as". "Independently completed" seems to stress that you think it is a big deal to have done something independently.

First cashier bullet is BS hype. Everyone knows what a restaurant hostess/cashier does and there's no point in saying what everyone knows, and especially no point in trying to make it sound better than everyone knows it was. Get rid of it.

Second bullet starts with a very weak "assisted". If you assisted by training and supervising, say you trained and supervised. It's OK to have only one (or none, but this bullet is ok) bullet for a job.

I think a decent number of people have heard of the TIA course. I'd mention it, but I don't think I'd use so much space on it. Really, I think the TIA and projects part make it a lot harder to see the skills you list at the top of the section. They're almost hidden there, but I think it is more important.

"Member" and "attended" isn't particularly noteworthy imo. Again, it just tends to hide the more important/interesting stuff.

"Participated" is a lame start. "Performed" is WAY better. There's no point in "each semester" and "over several weeks".

I think I'd be inclined to include only the dance team in the section. Dance marathon was a one-time thing, apparently, and doesn't seem particularly noteworthy unless you raised a boatload of money (and in that case, how much you raised ought to be the point of the bullet). RA, maaayyybe. ALD member, no imo.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 11-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I personally find the color a little distracting, but part of that is being drawn away from the density of the non-color part.

Technical skills makes more sense to me, as I don't really think of Excel as programming necessarily.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 11-07-2019, 03:03 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for IFM
College: Postgraduate

Thank you so much for the input! This is really helpful. I also thought it might've looked kinda cramped. I'll definitely work on condensing the less important items like you said. Since I don't have much work experience, I was trying to elaborate on everything else I did have.

Quote:
That's especially bad near the top where you have 5 lines of section heading in 10 lines or so. It all just runs together.
Just to clarify, is this referring to my Education and Actuarial Exams sections being too long or my header taking up too much space?

If I can manage it, do you think I should increase the font size? It's currently at 10pt which I was worried was too small. Also, do you think it would help if my technical skills were bolded so they don't get as lost in everything?

Thanks again!
Old 11-09-2019, 12:05 AM
SOA

My thoughts:
  • I like modern looking resumes. More color/shapes (I quite like https://novoresume.com/)
  • Get rid of the technical skills paragraphs. Just say "Excel, VBA, Access, R, SQL, SAS, and Python" or maybe split it into Experience/Working Knowledge sections
  • More bullets on work experience and how it might relate to actuarial work
  • Don't be afraid of double spacing (or 1.x) in order to fill out the page
  • Move education under work experience
  • Add an objective line just below your contact information
Old 11-10-2019, 01:22 PM

I think the font size is fine - if anything I'd slightly reduce the font size currently used for your name.

Initially just listing "Excel, VBA, Access, R, SQL, SAS, and Python" tends to imply that your skill level is similar for all of them. Perhaps something like "intermediate knowledge of Excel, VBA, R" and "limited knowledge of Acess, SQL, SAS and Python" would be better?

Tags
resume, resume advice, resume critique, resume entry-level, resume help