Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:55 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
I read somewhere that there's some kind of relationship between ATI and Outlaw. Maybe they use similar components? Same engineers? Can't remember.

I need to stop spending for a while, after I figure out whether I'm keeping the SVS elevation speakers, or replacing them with the JBL SCS-8's. But I'm sure, at some point, I'll want to add more amps to the monoblocks you sold me. And some time after that, I'd like to add one or two more subs and run them (together with my 2 current subs) through a mini-DSP to come up with some seriously optimized bass. But that's probably my next two years of upgrades.
I'm gonna go google ATI after this post!

Maybe I posted this before, apologies if so. If not, give this a quick read: Link. It's the Earl Geddes white paper on why multiple subs is the way to go. His punchline is you get a flatter response, and I totally agree with it. The other benefit is, at a given SPL, multiple subs will be at lower excursion, and therefore lower distortion. Also, more bass!

Second, if you want a DSP I'd recommend at least taking a look at this guy. I had a MiniDSP and it was kind of buggy, had a lot of issues connecting to my PC, others have reported similar issues. I've heard anecdotally that this has improved over time. And while the MiniDSP can do a few things the Dayton cannot, for subs I think the Dayton is all you'd ever need. And for ~$30 you can add a Bluetooth dongle to the Dayton and control it with your phone, it's slick and super easy to use. I installed the Dayton in my Chevy and I've had zero issues or complaints.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:53 AM
SOA AAA

ATI builds amps (per the Internet) for Outlaw, Theta, and Monoprice, among others. Iím sure they are built to spec for each, so probably not true that Monoprice = Theta, but the build house matters. That is a pretty fun fact, thanks Egghead!
Old 11-21-2019, 01:37 PM
SOA AAA

A friend has made me an interesting offer. Two 21" Eminence drivers, plus CNC cut flat-pack boxes, for somewhere around $1,500 shipped. I'd need an amp, so let's say $2k all-in. The drivers have 34mm Xmax, and in these boxes (16 feet each, vented) the F3 is 15Hz.

That's not cheap, but I'm betting the Eminence will be nice and musical, and that is a ton of displacement. Except at ~12Hz and below this would push more SPL than a JTR Captivator 4000, which I think is the king of the hill right now.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:53 PM
CAS

so much ITT for me

i just want to rock out to my killer tunes, man

except i don't anymore, but you get the idea
Old 11-21-2019, 02:03 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
so much ITT for me

i just want to rock out to my killer tunes, man

except i don't anymore, but you get the idea
In a nutshell, I'm contemplating buying so much bass that the ATF should probably regulate it.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:25 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
In a nutshell, I'm contemplating buying so much bass that the ATF should probably regulate it.
i hear that it's all 'bout that
Old 11-22-2019, 01:17 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
I'm gonna go google ATI after this post!

Maybe I posted this before, apologies if so. If not, give this a quick read: Link. It's the Earl Geddes white paper on why multiple subs is the way to go. His punchline is you get a flatter response, and I totally agree with it. The other benefit is, at a given SPL, multiple subs will be at lower excursion, and therefore lower distortion. Also, more bass!

Second, if you want a DSP I'd recommend at least taking a look at this guy. I had a MiniDSP and it was kind of buggy, had a lot of issues connecting to my PC, others have reported similar issues. I've heard anecdotally that this has improved over time. And while the MiniDSP can do a few things the Dayton cannot, for subs I think the Dayton is all you'd ever need. And for ~$30 you can add a Bluetooth dongle to the Dayton and control it with your phone, it's slick and super easy to use. I installed the Dayton in my Chevy and I've had zero issues or complaints.
I can't remember if you posted that Geddes piece before or not. I'll have to read it. But I've read a number of articles about why multiple subs are better, including a chapter out of that Floyd Toole book I liked so much.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:17 AM
SOA

I got my first pair of JBL SCS8's today. I'm worried how they might look in the family room, and wondered if I made a mistake buying them. My wife wisely suggested I hook them up and just listen to them before drilling huge holes in my ceiling to hang them. So I put them on some bookshelf speaker stands I had, and placed them in the surround back position.

I just gotta say, these things blend beautifully with my 590 towers. In fact, I put on the Hans Zimmer "Live in Prague" blu-ray recorded in Dolby Atmos, as I think music is a tougher test than movie sound effects. Not only did I really like them, but I think I prefer them over the 530 bookshelf speakers from the same line as the 590s, which is saying a lot!

Tomorrow, I'll go pick up some lag screws and hang the SCS8's up to see if I like them so much more than the SVS prime elevation speakers that they justify the added cost and the significant downgrade in visual aesthetics. I suspect I will. In fact, I like them so much, I'm already tempted to replace my bookshelf speakers in the rear with another pair of them!

Last edited by Egghead; 11-22-2019 at 06:24 AM..
Old 11-22-2019, 11:52 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
I got my first pair of JBL SCS8's today. I'm worried how they might look in the family room, and wondered if I made a mistake buying them. My wife wisely suggested I hook them up and just listen to them before drilling huge holes in my ceiling to hang them. So I put them on some bookshelf speaker stands I had, and placed them in the surround back position.

I just gotta say, these things blend beautifully with my 590 towers. In fact, I put on the Hans Zimmer "Live in Prague" blu-ray recorded in Dolby Atmos, as I think music is a tougher test than movie sound effects. Not only did I really like them, but I think I prefer them over the 530 bookshelf speakers from the same line as the 590s, which is saying a lot!

Tomorrow, I'll go pick up some lag screws and hang the SCS8's up to see if I like them so much more than the SVS prime elevation speakers that they justify the added cost and the significant downgrade in visual aesthetics. I suspect I will. In fact, I like them so much, I'm already tempted to replace my bookshelf speakers in the rear with another pair of them!
I looked up the SCS8... not the most handsome speaker on the market. Would you be willing to paint them to match the ceiling? Or maybe make wooden brackets to replace the stamped steel ones?
Old 11-22-2019, 01:13 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I bought my first set of 'real' speakers this week. Klipsch bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer with amp. I also picked up a copy of The Complete Guide to High-End Audio to educate my self on the subject.

They sound great, my only regret is not doing this sooner. They take up more space on my desk so I bought a clamp mount for my monitors to replace my stand which was hogging up a lot of space, which I also regret not doing sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.