Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:52 PM
CAS SOA

Smile Internship resume critique

I know my biggest issue with getting an internship at the moment is my lack of exams. However I am currently a sophomore, so that's something I can change by the next application season. I tried making it with as little padding as possible, but I'm unsure if I made it too...cold.

I transferred colleges recently and I'm not sure if I should list both schools or just the current one. Since this is my first semester at the new University I don't exactly have a GPA there yet. Would listing the transfer GPA be enough?

Thank you so much in advance to anyone that answers
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Internship Resume.pdf (97.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-28-2019, 12:10 PM
SOA

College: University of Wisconsin

There is no need to list your GPA twice. It would be better to list the GPA that has been earned for 2 semesters at the University.

As far as the resume, there is nothing that jumps out. You could clean up the experience bullets. It is typically best to start with an action verb. So instead of "In charge of training new employees," simply state "Trained new employees". Avoid verbs that make you seem a passive member of the job (i.e. helped).

For the projects, it is best to talk about conclusions/recommendations or prove that you have the computer skills listed on your resume.

Overall, the GPA is good. However, you'll need to pass at least 1 exam and more likely 2+ exams to get internship consideration.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:36 PM

I find the layout a bit confusing. Perhaps move the horizontal lines up a line, as otherwise the headings ("Experience", "Projects", "Computer Skills" etc) tend to read as through they are part of the previous section.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:58 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
I find the layout a bit confusing. Perhaps move the horizontal lines up a line, as otherwise the headings ("Experience", "Projects", "Computer Skills" etc) tend to read as through they are part of the previous section.
Yeah, it looks like you're trying to fill the page with vertical spacing. It's not just the headings. You've spread what's in the sections out, too. I think you're better keeping it a little tighter so the format stands out more. Don't sweat it if you have a few extra lines at the bottom.

You can leave a little more (which probably means the amount you have now, once you've tightened the rest up) space between jobs and projects.

I'd indent all text under the section headings a little. It also helps to make the format stand out more.

If you're trying to fill space, don't make all the contact info in the heading horizontal.

I'd put "Exam" before FM/2. It reads better. Also, rather than centering Sitting, I'd put it fairly near the exam name.

I'd put the dates on the right margin. Right now the rhs looks more ragged.

I'd use month and year for the education dates, too. You don't need the "Graduation:" and "Graduated:"

I'd make the first tutor bullet "Taught..." and get rid of the "students in".

"Helped" is a weak start to a bullet.

"Coursework requiring use of" is awkward.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE