Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 10-31-2019, 12:20 AM
SOA

Default CL with experience?

I began researching the AO this evening for information about the way to compose a CL for applicants with experience but instead found the following thread --> http://actuarialoutpost.com/actuaria...t=cover+letter in which the necessity of submitting a CL for experienced applicants was challenged. Is it a general consensus that CLs are immaterial with experience? If it is, I don't understand why and would appreciate an explanation. If it isn't, then I'd like to ask if anyone can offer insights about the best way to create an experienced CL. The AO contains an abundance of counsel about entry-level CLs but there was otherwise nothing available, which is part of the reason that the aforementioned discussion thread captured my attention.

Last edited by MegadethRules; 10-31-2019 at 12:39 AM..
Old 10-31-2019, 12:27 AM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks

CV<> cover letter.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:44 PM
SOA

Does no one have any input for this?
Old 11-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I'd think it would depend on how much experience you have and how closely your experience matches the requirements/desires of the hiring manager. (Or if there is something you feel you need to say that really can't be easily covered in the resume) If your experience really is an exact match for what they're looking for, a cover letter can be very effective, because it can be used to show how you exactly match what they're looking for in a very direct and succinct way.

The more apparent mismatch there is and the less experience you have, the less I'd expect the letter would help you.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 11-01-2019, 01:28 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
I'd think it would depend on how much experience you have and how closely your experience matches the requirements/desires of the hiring manager. (Or if there is something you feel you need to say that really can't be easily covered in the resume) If your experience really is an exact match for what they're looking for, a cover letter can be very effective, because it can be used to show how you exactly match what they're looking for in a very direct and succinct way.

The more apparent mismatch there is and the less experience you have, the less I'd expect the letter would help you.
cover letter was helpful (cant tell if needed) for my last job. I Could tell they had read it based on the interview conversation. I had 2-3 bullet points on resume that were highly relevant to new role and I wrote a CL to expand on those points. I was ~8 years experience.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:33 AM
SOA

Very good explanations thanks to both of you as I'm basing my decision to include CLs for my job applications on your feedback.

In that other thread, was the newly-minted FSA asking whether to include a CL because an FSA is assumed to have little competition and a ton of experience such that he doesn't need to convince anyone of his qualifications/expertise? Otherwise, what do you suppose he meant by his question?