Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 11-13-2019, 03:23 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
I loved Fallout 3. Picked up Oblivion and found it super boring. So, I figured the ES games weren't for me. Friend convinced me to get Skyrim and I loved it.
I liked Fallout NV better than Fallout 3, but that has a lot to do with it having at least some plants and color... Fallout 3 was very grey. I like FO4 better than either of those, especially with the "Simple Green" mod added on so not everything is dead.

The main story line in Oblivion was pretty boring imo... but the side quests (dark brotherhood, thieves guild, etc.) were excellent, and Shivering Isles DLC was awesome. The main story in Skyrim was better than the main story in Oblivion, but the side quests were not as good. Radiant quests in Oblivion seemed less repetitive to me than the radiants in Skyrim... on the other hand, however, Oblivion takes a lot more time to get moving than Skyrim did. It's really hard leave the Imperial City until you've leveled about 5 times or so - there's just too much that kills you fast. But at least there are a lot of things you can do in Imperial City and the surrounding island that aren't required for the main quest. It was easier to just go explore the countryside in Skyrim... but there were also pretty major parts of the game that are locked until you make progress on the main quest line - shouts and dragons being the biggest ones.

I like them all. But at the end of the day, I liked Oblivion more because the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests are really, really good. After the very first time, though, I tend to ignore the main story in both of them and do more exploring, side quests, and DLCs. That's fairly true for all Bethesda games for me - the main stories are okay, but are kind of weak.

Bioware's the opposite - Dragon Age and Mass Effect can get really repetitive and boring if you don't just skip a lot of the side quests, but their main stories are so well written and acted that I still love them.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:00 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale

Anyone try out Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order? I have never played a souls game but apparently the combat is similar. Trying to decide if it should be on my Christmas list even though I haven't finished my last 3 single-player games
Old 11-20-2019, 03:02 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by harb1sj View Post
Anyone try out Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order? I have never played a souls game but apparently the combat is similar. Trying to decide if it should be on my Christmas list even though I haven't finished my last 3 single-player games
I put it on my Steam wishlist... so am also curious haha
Old 11-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

CS:GO update. SSG back up to $3k. FAMAS & Galil down $200 ea.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:17 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
I'm playing it on default difficulty. Not too bad, but I know going up in difficulty it becomes really hard.

I would describe it more as a Tomb Raiderish metroidvania -- exploring, dungeons, backtracking, etc.

I'm like 5-6 hours in maybe, so I'm sure the combat gets harder, but I like the explore-y aspects of it, and I really like the story.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:26 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
Death Stranding is really weird but I'm digging it.

I find it satisfying in the same way that Harvest Moon is satisfying. For anyone still wondering, the core game play mechanic really is delivering packages to people. But they do the typical video game stuff to keep it somewhat interesting. i.e., you're presented with new obstacles and given new tools to work around them or make things faster. The asynchronous cooperation is what makes the game special though. And there's plenty of long, wacky, Metal Gear style story cut scenes to break everything up.

The cut scenes are an improvement over MGSV imo. In MGSV, Kiefer Sutherland's Snake hardly talks at all and all the scenes feel awkward. Norman Reedus's Sam isn't a talkative guy, but he participates in conversation where you would expect him to, unlike MGSV Snake.

It's reminiscent of the old Metal Gear games where most cut scenes have a character monologuing exposition at you, but the main character will jump in occasionally to answer questions, ask questions, or raise objections.
Will MGS fans like it though?
Old 11-20-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I own it, will hopefully get around to it soon. Unlike Souls games, this has difficulty settings. One of my understandings, is that the window of opportunity to attack is way bigger on lower levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
I'm playing it on default difficulty. Not too bad, but I know going up in difficulty it becomes really hard.

I would describe it more as a Tomb Raiderish metroidvania -- exploring, dungeons, backtracking, etc.

I'm like 5-6 hours in maybe, so I'm sure the combat gets harder, but I like the explore-y aspects of it, and I really like the story.
Can you change the difficulty mid-game or are you stuck with your choice from the beginning?
Old 11-20-2019, 05:39 PM

Finished the story of Control. I thought it actually had a good ending. I was worried if it would stick the landing.

Working on cleanup trophies for the platinum. I only have to kill more enemies and go find enough hidden areas to get enough skill points to max out my abilities. Gonna just use a video for the latter, so should be a quick platinum wrap up.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:49 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
I own it, will hopefully get around to it soon. Unlike Souls games, this has difficulty settings. One of my understandings, is that the window of opportunity to attack is way bigger on lower levels.

Can you change the difficulty mid-game or are you stuck with your choice from the beginning?
You can change it on the fly. It also shows you what variables are changing for each difficulty setting (and by how much, although that is graphically, not quantitatively).

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
You can change it on the fly. It also shows you what variables are changing for each difficulty setting (and by how much, although that is graphically, not quantitatively).
Sweet. One thing that is always annoying, is picking a difficulty that is too easy or too hard and not being able to change it in the middle of the game.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one