Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:32 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
"Most" Android phones? From what I see on their compatibility lists, it doesn't work on the vast majority of the sub-$200 Android phones out there, of which there are hundreds of models (including mine).
Maybe they mean most individual phones and not most models.

I'm raising money for children's cancer research by getting my head shaved again - my 11th year!!! - at a St Baldrick's event. Please help out by making a donation! Any amount helps!

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Or if you're in the area, you can come out to the event and say hi, see me get shaved, have a beverage or two, and see an appearance by Stark Raving Dad. It's at the Kerry Piper in Willowbrook, IL on Sunday, March 17th, 2019 probably from about 11AM to 3PM. If you show up, you'll get a chance to hear me sing Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's "Almost Cut My Hair".

Please help this great cause and make a donation!
Old 11-29-2018, 01:07 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
If the carrier constantly switches are calls dropped a lot?
In order to take advantage of the seamless switching between carriers, you have to have a Pixel or newer Nexus phones (6P, 5X). If you don't have those phones, I'm not sure if it has to drop the signal from one to get the other or what. My Pixel just says "Fi Network" in the corner, so I have no clue which carrier I'm on.

For the data only SIM, it only uses T-mo, so maybe unsupported phones only use that.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:09 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
Maybe they mean most individual phones and not most models.
This. They added support for Samsung phones which is a huge portion of the market. Not sure if that gets it to a majority or not. I probably would have used another word than "most."
Old 11-29-2018, 01:53 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsAPoissonProcess View Post
Coincidentally I started another thread today referencing leaving FI to go to Verizon. The FI service has been very poor in our area, although it is nice to be able to travel internationally without having to make arrangements for your mobile data.
Traveling is for suckers.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:18 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
In order to take advantage of the seamless switching between carriers, you have to have a Pixel or newer Nexus phones (6P, 5X). If you don't have those phones, I'm not sure if it has to drop the signal from one to get the other or what. My Pixel just says "Fi Network" in the corner, so I have no clue which carrier I'm on.

For the data only SIM, it only uses T-mo, so maybe unsupported phones only use that.
Huh, they used to use both T-mobile and Sprint. Or have those two now consolidated into "T-mobile"?

I have the Moto X4. It's never dropped a call, even when I am in a car or something and moving from signal to signal.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:43 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Huh, they used to use both T-mobile and Sprint. Or have those two now consolidated into "T-mobile"?

I have the Moto X4. It's never dropped a call, even when I am in a car or something and moving from signal to signal.
To clarify, they do use both T-mobile and Sprint if you use a fully supported phone (X4, v20?, Pixel, or Nexus 6P/5X). If you use a data only SIM in any device, you can only use T-mobile.

If you use a phone other than listed above, it says you don't get seamless handoff, but it is unclear what that means. I think it means if you are on a call or need a continuous data connection, you can't switch between T-mobile/Sprint without dropping the connection, but that is just a guess.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:13 PM
CAS

So is Tmobile's phone call reception bad on a traditional Tmobile plan? Or is it just not great on Google Fi?
Old 11-29-2018, 06:00 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
So is Tmobile's phone call reception bad on a traditional Tmobile plan? Or is it just not great on Google Fi?
My husband's was bad on T-mobile, too. But it may be worse now? The Google Fi phone reception isn't terrific on WiFi, either.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:12 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelMustard View Post
I just took advantage of this. Upgraded to Pixel 3 XL from Pixel 2 and actually just switched over to Google fi a couple of weeks ago. This a pretty sweet deal. I went for all the bells and whistles, XL version and 128 gb to get the max rebate of $999.
did your XL ship? my non-XL appears to be on back order - "Your shipment was delayed. We're working to get it to you soon and will email you when it's on its way."
Old Yesterday, 01:10 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
did your XL ship? my non-XL appears to be on back order - "Your shipment was delayed. We're working to get it to you soon and will email you when it's on its way."
Mine shipped Nov. 30 and it arrived Dec. 7. I ordered mine around 5-6pm EST on the day of the promotion.