Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:33 AM
Non-Actuary

Still enjoying my QC15s about 7 years after I've bought them though I've had to replace the ear pads and should maybe replace the head cushion.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Curious to see what you think. I feel like the M50 are better from a pure SQ standpoint. But the Sony have amazing noise cancelling, and wireless is nice, so I don’t regret the Sony purchase.

But for critical listening I will rely on my M50 or my old Grado SR60, which I still enjoy.
Initial thoughts without head to head listening, but I think you’re spot on. The NC is ridiculously nice, but I think the ATH-M50X has a slightly better SQ. The comfort of the M50s is better too.

I will really like these for what I got them for, which is travel and daily work use where I hate being tied to my laptop.

I wish that I could match my UE TripleFi in a quality wireless headset. I like the sound out of those even more than the M50 but I don’t like earbuds like that for work purposes. Simply more work than I want getting the seal perfect for the number of times they go in and out of my ear.

I’ll give you some more impressions tomorrow after going head to head a bit.

Oh, and I keep reiterating to myself that I much prefer my speaker setup than headphones. Just hard to beat the full immersiveness of a quality speaker setup.

Last edited by WhatsGolden; 11-27-2018 at 08:48 PM..
Old 11-27-2018, 09:07 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsGolden View Post
Initial thoughts without head to head listening, but I think youíre spot on. The NC is ridiculously nice, but I think the ATH-M50X has a slightly better SQ. The comfort of the M50s is better too.

I will really like these for what I got them for, which is travel and daily work use where I hate being tied to my laptop.

I wish that I could match my UE TripleFi in a quality wireless headset. I like the sound out of those even more than the M50 but I donít like earbuds like that for work purposes. Simply more work than I want getting the seal perfect for the number of times they go in and out of my ear.

Iíll give you some more impressions tomorrow after going head to head a bit.

Oh, and I keep reiterating to myself that I much prefer my speaker setup than headphones. Just hard to beat the full immersiveness of a quality speaker setup.
I was on a flight Sunday and another today. Totally digging the Sony for travel, so I think you made a good call. I need to play around with the EQ on the Sony to see if I can find any improvements, havenít done much with it.

Agree on liking speakers much more than headphones. Iíve never spent a ton on headphones because if Iím at home I donít use them. How is the Seaton sub working out for you? Iíve heard a ton of subs and itís definitely one of the best.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:15 PM
SOA

Quote:
I was on a flight Sunday and another today. Totally digging the Sony for travel, so I think you made a good call. I need to play around with the EQ on the Sony to see if I can find any improvements, havenít done much with it.

Agree on liking speakers much more than headphones. Iíve never spent a ton on headphones because if Iím at home I donít use them. How is the Seaton sub working out for you? Iíve heard a ton of subs and itís definitely one of the best.
I love the Seaton. It integrates well with my other sub. Both have Eminence drivers that arenít too different. The Seaton wins in overall output but the CS actually seems like it does a bit better at digging to lower frequencies. I have them set up to take advantage of that, cutting off the CS at about 65hz and boosting it from about 15-30 and letting the Seaton run naturally up through the JTRs (think I have it set at 80hz but donít remember rolloff).
Old 11-28-2018, 10:37 AM
SOA

Bose QuietComfort 35 II are a must when flying. Definitely worth the price tag.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Initial thoughts without head to head listening, but I think youíre spot on. The NC is ridiculously nice, but I think the ATH-M50X has a slightly better SQ. The comfort of the M50s is better too.

I wish that I could match my UE TripleFi in a quality wireless headset. I like the sound out of those even more than the M50 but I donít like earbuds like that for work purposes. Simply more work than I want getting the seal perfect for the number of times they go in and out of my ear.

Iíll give you some more impressions tomorrow after going head to head a bit.

Pretty much spot on after some back and forth between the Sonyís and the M50. The SQ in the M50 tops the Sony, but the wireless and NC in the Sony is awesome.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:55 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Pretty much spot on after some back and forth between the Sonyís and the M50. The SQ in the M50 tops the Sony, but the wireless and NC in the Sony is awesome.
I think we're on the same page. Keep the AT on hand, but the Sony are pretty darn slick.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:58 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I love the Seaton. It integrates well with my other sub. Both have Eminence drivers that arenít too different. The Seaton wins in overall output but the CS actually seems like it does a bit better at digging to lower frequencies. I have them set up to take advantage of that, cutting off the CS at about 65hz and boosting it from about 15-30 and letting the Seaton run naturally up through the JTRs (think I have it set at 80hz but donít remember rolloff).
Oh, you kept the old one. Yes, multiple subs is the way to go. I have a sorta similar thing going, my JTR sub is a bit fat, but I have the 18" Aurasound that rolls off around 30Hz, and the Submersive is pretty flat. So with just a bit of EQ they sum to a flat response to about 13Hz in-room.

What do you use for crossover/EQ? I just use my Yamaha receiver, which offers parametric EQ but I can't EQ them independently. I've considered adding a Dayton 0408 DSP for $150 so I have the flexibility.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:48 PM
SOA

Quote:
Oh, you kept the old one. Yes, multiple subs is the way to go. I have a sorta similar thing going, my JTR sub is a bit fat, but I have the 18" Aurasound that rolls off around 30Hz, and the Submersive is pretty flat. So with just a bit of EQ they sum to a flat response to about 13Hz in-room.

What do you use for crossover/EQ? I just use my Yamaha receiver, which offers parametric EQ but I can't EQ them independently. I've considered adding a Dayton 0408 DSP for $150 so I have the flexibility.
For the Seaton, nothing. The CS has a Dayton plate amp with some simple EQ. Nothing fancy at all.