Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 12-03-2018, 02:32 PM
CAS

Studying for 7
College: KSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
So I played the original Assassin's Creed when it came out, and the only game I've played that made me feel more let down was GTA.

People seem to love the series, did the game play drastically change after the original? You weren't really an assassin in the original, most "assassinations" involved chasing some dude through crowded markets and murdering large numbers of enemies via standing in place holding down the "block everything" button and every once so often hitting counter until everything was dead. If I picked up Odyssey would I be completely confused by the story now?
Odyssey (and Origins) revamped the fighting, it is much better now. I've played all the games and I think Origins is my favorite. That's just me though. You wouldn't be confused playing Origins or Odyssey. At worst you'd just miss a few cool references to earlier games.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:14 PM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
So I played the original Assassin's Creed when it came out, and the only game I've played that made me feel more let down was GTA.

People seem to love the series, did the game play drastically change after the original? You weren't really an assassin in the original, most "assassinations" involved chasing some dude through crowded markets and murdering large numbers of enemies via standing in place holding down the "block everything" button and every once so often hitting counter until everything was dead. If I picked up Odyssey would I be completely confused by the story now?
the first AC is objectively the worst one. some of the gameplay elements you mention remain in Odyssey, but it's overall way more fun. I don't think you'd be horribly confused, the overarching story is the same... somebody taps into the DNA of somebody from a long time ago and relives the other person's memories in hopes of finding a historic relic. only so many ways to rinse and repeat that one.

if you're looking for a game where you have to sneak up on somebody, kill them, and escape undetected, I would suggest you try Hitman.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:42 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
the first AC is objectively the worst one. some of the gameplay elements you mention remain in Odyssey, but it's overall way more fun. I don't think you'd be horribly confused, the overarching story is the same... somebody taps into the DNA of somebody from a long time ago and relives the other person's memories in hopes of finding a historic relic. only so many ways to rinse and repeat that one.

if you're looking for a game where you have to sneak up on somebody, kill them, and escape undetected, I would suggest you try Hitman.
Agree -- the last one I played was III, and I think this game is not immediately recognizable as an Assassin's Creed game.

Another good stealth series is Dishonored.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:23 PM
SOA

Briefly hit Champ 3 Div 3 in 3v3 Rocket League again last night (although immediately dropped back to Div 2). #thegrindforGC

Played some PUBG the other night, some pretty crazy games as I joined a Discord server of a group of 3 people who knew each other with me as the random person. Holy cow these guys were so aggressive. Dropping in hot spots on Sanhok, getting immediate loot and looking for fight after fight after fight, no conservative movements at all. Chasing shots all over the place, going into the blue to try and take people out. Made for some really wild games. We had two wins in 5 games, the winning games our team had 27 kills and 30 kills!!!! Some of the highest I've been a part of. I was so behind their pace in the first game where I only got 1 kill, but kept up a bit more and got 7 kills in the 30 kill one.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:03 AM
CAS

Goddamit Nintendo, let me play the game.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
I think the climbing as a gameplay element was way better in AC1/AC2. I think they've made those less puzzles to solve and more just climb straight to the top.

Haven't played the two most recent ones. I got origins when it was on sale. Seemed like it was the time of year I don't have a lot of games I want to play and forgot how underwhelmed I was at just about every prior version of the series. Hear good things about the newest ones though.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:29 PM
SOA

Yeah, still need to buy Origins and Odyssey. Although part of me is wondering if I'm just playing them to play them, not as much because I really enjoy them these days. IDK, just gonna stay patient and buy them when I feel they are worth the cost to me. Not sure I've ever paid 50+ for an AC game, most of them I've been able to get for 20-30 or through bundle deals by not rushing to buy them for the first year.

Hit Champ 3 in 2v2 RL last night, now holding C3 in both 2s and 3s again. Starting to believe I can actually hit GC, I've been playing a pretty extreme amount in this push to try and get it before I start studying regularly again. Of course hitting GC and being able to get 10 wins there is quite the difference.

I'm hearing RAVE reviews about the new winter map on PUBG coming out soon (currently in the test servers). HYPE.

Last edited by dancran1220; 12-07-2018 at 01:45 PM..
Old 12-07-2018, 01:38 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Goddamit Nintendo, let me play the game smash.
ifyp
Old 12-07-2018, 05:08 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

DOH. I've apparently been subscribed to Humble Bundle for months now.

Uh. Does anyone want a bunch of random games, including Hollow Knight and 7 Days and some random AAA crap?
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one