Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-10-2018, 07:58 PM
DeepPurple's Avatar
DeepPurple DeepPurple is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
tried both sony and bose, sonys are just as good as bose, but for like half the price.

also, heard sony is coming out with the mother of all nc headphones soon

I have both. I got Bose (wired) NC headphones about 5 years ago. They are great, but I know they are pricey. But at least they have a fancy case.


I bought a $100 pair of Sony wireless NC for work. I just didn't want the Bose lying around the unguarded office. I think the NC and sound is a little better on the Bose, but not 3x better for 3x price.


To me the biggest difference is the batteries. My Bose uses AA's. As long as I have a fresh battery, I got sound. My Sony pair is rechargeable off of USB. When it goes dead, you aren't listening for a couple hours, but there's nothing to buy.
__________________
Come on. Let's go space truckin'. Come on!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-11-2018, 03:58 PM
panther panther is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,341
Default

Sony Continues to Drink Bose's Milkshake

https://gizmodo.com/sony-continues-t...ake-1828936849

Review of the Sony MH-1000XM3
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-11-2018, 04:42 PM
DeepPurple's Avatar
DeepPurple DeepPurple is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Sony Continues to Drink Bose's Milkshake

https://gizmodo.com/sony-continues-t...ake-1828936849

Review of the Sony MH-1000XM3

Sort of burying the lead here. Yes, the $350 Sony may be better than the $350 Bose, but most people buying Sony are buying one of MANY models significantly cheaper than $350.

The title implies that a $50 budget Sony sound better than Bose. NOT likely.
__________________
Come on. Let's go space truckin'. Come on!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-11-2018, 05:18 PM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 39,262
Default

Huh, I have a nice compact, foldable set of Sennheiser noice-cancelling headphones, but they don't seem to make them any more. They weren't the industry leader for either sound quality or noise cancellation, but they were way smaller than anything else on the market that isn't an ear-bud. (And I don't like crap in my ear, so I don't use ear buds.)

Anyway, I mostly use them on airplanes, where I can actually hear the dialog because of the NC feature. (and where "folds up small" is really nice.) Or just use them at home as ordinary headphones if I don't want to disturb Chuck. But they are good at cancelling background, white noise. I think they might make nearby conversations in an open office MORE distracting.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-12-2018, 12:29 AM
Gonzo's Avatar
Gonzo Gonzo is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: gonzo.
Studying for gonzo?
Favorite beer: gonzo!
Posts: 8,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Huh, I have a nice compact, foldable set of Sennheiser noice-cancelling headphones, but they don't seem to make them any more. They weren't the industry leader for either sound quality or noise cancellation, but they were way smaller than anything else on the market that isn't an ear-bud. (And I don't like crap in my ear, so I don't use ear buds.)

Anyway, I mostly use them on airplanes, where I can actually hear the dialog because of the NC feature. (and where "folds up small" is really nice.) Or just use them at home as ordinary headphones if I don't want to disturb Chuck. But they are good at cancelling background, white noise. I think they might make nearby conversations in an open office MORE distracting.
they have white noise apps for your phone (light rain, thunderstorm, evening lake, etc). you have to run white noise through your headphones in addition to nc in order to completely drown out office chatter
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-17-2018, 06:24 PM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepPurple View Post
Sort of burying the lead here. Yes, the $350 Sony may be better than the $350 Bose, but most people buying Sony are buying one of MANY models significantly cheaper than $350.

The title implies that a $50 budget Sony sound better than Bose. NOT likely.
I just bought the WH-1000X M3, the $350 things. Iíve never owned noise cancelling headphones before, for years Iíve used my big (wired) AudioTechnica ATX-M50 cans, which cover the ear and do block some noise. But, I travel a lot, hate the noise, and canít sleep on planes. Maybe these will help with that, got three trips over the next three weeks so we will see.

Tried the Bose QC35, and they are impressive. Given what I think about Bose in general, this is a huge complement. The QC 35 sound really good, the noise cancelling is first-class, and they certainly feel well-made.

And I tried some cheaper Sony options, the XB950-N1 are $250, and for a lot of folks I think itís a good option. Sound quality is good, though the Ďextra bassí feature makes them bloated (you can defeat it). The noise cancelling isnít quite as good, but for $100 less they are quite nice. I also tried some JBL (not bad) and some Skull Candy ($180, not comfortable on my big head).

But I found the Sony to be more comfortable than the Bose, YMMV obviously. Sound quality wise, itís hard to fully judge because I couldnít hook them up to my phone, just got to hear whatever the manufacturer had loaded up. The Sony app has more flexibility though, like an EQ, which I like.

At any rate, these new Sony things are pretty impressive. They donít quite match the sound quality of my AudioTechnica (even when wired instead of Bluetooth), with a bit of EQ I may close some of the gap. But they sound good, they are incredibly comfortable, and the noise cancelling is really, really good.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-26-2018, 03:01 PM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,148
Default

Bose QC25 are on sale at Amazon today for $110 shipped. They donít have Bluetooth, and use a AAA battery instead of a rechargeable lithium. But itís still a solid but, imo. Deal ends in 12 hours.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-26-2018, 03:02 PM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,640
Default

Bose QC25 are great well worth the 110 dollars. You can always buy an airmod for the QC25 for 60 and make them wireless.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-26-2018, 11:21 PM
WhatsGolden WhatsGolden is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Sony Continues to Drink Bose's Milkshake

https://gizmodo.com/sony-continues-t...ake-1828936849

Review of the Sony MH-1000XM3
I ordered a pair of these, should be here tomorrow. Excited to see how they compare to my ATH-M50X. Mainly was wanting to go wireless but didnít want to sacrifice, plus got them a lot cheaper then the QC35 so that pushed me to the Sonyís.
__________________
FSA
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-27-2018, 01:08 AM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsGolden View Post
I ordered a pair of these, should be here tomorrow. Excited to see how they compare to my ATH-M50X. Mainly was wanting to go wireless but didnít want to sacrifice, plus got them a lot cheaper then the QC35 so that pushed me to the Sonyís.
Curious to see what you think. I feel like the M50 are better from a pure SQ standpoint. But the Sony have amazing noise cancelling, and wireless is nice, so I donít regret the Sony purchase.

But for critical listening I will rely on my M50 or my old Grado SR60, which I still enjoy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.42599 seconds with 9 queries