Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 08-22-2018, 11:26 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
You won't "ruin" parts as long as you're not trying to bend things into place or eating soup while assembling it.
And it's like pumping gas, static discharge would be bad.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:36 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atfl View Post
And it's like pumping gas, static discharge would be bad.
You from Oregon or New Jersey?
Old 08-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
How often do you guys upgrade PC parts?
Do you guys ever get a bigger/better PC chasis?

I'm asking these questions because I want to build a computer that I know it can last and stay up to date in terms of performance. I feel like new graphics card, for example, come out once 1 to 2 years. Would the previous ones feel outdated when playing newer games that demand more power?
My current PC I bought in 2012.
I updated the memory (from 8gb to 16gb) a year or two after I got it.
I updated the video card two years ago.
Haven't done anything else and don't really think I'll be upgrading for a year or two.

I've been able to play most games on high settings, but not necessarily max.

Unless you are really looking at the most demanding games and needing to run them max settings you don't need to upgrade that often.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:53 AM
CAS

Studying for the credential

What are some games that demand the most power? I hear it's these FPS games that I don't mainly care about. True?

Old 08-22-2018, 12:04 PM
SOA

Quote:

I'm asking these questions because I want to build a computer that I know it can last and stay up to date in terms of performance. I feel like new graphics card, for example, come out once 1 to 2 years. Would the previous ones feel outdated when playing newer games that demand more power?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
I've been considering building my own PC. A few years ago I made a list of parts but never pulled the trigger. I have a mid-level laptop that plays games fine, but with some newer games I have to lower the graphics settings. I'll certainly need to make a new list, I'm sure everything is better now and I'm less concerned about price limitations now that I make FCAS money.

Seeing as how I've never built a PC, and don't really know much about the hardware, would people recommend not going crazy? How likely am I to ruin thousands of dollars of parts?
I've recently gotten the itch to build a pc, and now it's all i want to do. I HIGHLY recommend going to PC Part Picker and to r/buildapc for help.

I've watched a bunch of videos of how to build, and tips/tricks. I feel like it's not too hard as long as you take it slow and follow directions. Also, always ground yourself. You really don't want to fry your motherboard because your cat rubbed up against you while you're on your fuzzy carpet.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:10 PM
CAS

static discharge is the "don't swim for 30 minutes after eating" of pc building
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 08-22-2018, 12:23 PM
SOA

Quote:

I built my first PC in 2010 with a super budget (<$500, pretty mediocre), and with that build I upgraded RAM to 8gb after about a year and my video card to a GTX 460 around the same time, then only had to replace the power supply 3 years later due to my own fault while moving.

That lasted me until last year for esports titles. If I wanted to be playing the latest AAA single player games, it wouldn't have cut it. I upgraded a year ago and built a new PC with $1000 budget, which was so much faster, it blew me away. Then, after getting some insurance money in April this year, I decided to go all out and spent around 2.5k on my current build.

Feel free to talk to me about any questions if you want to do a new build. You technically never would have to get a new case unless yours broke in some way, but if I'm getting a new motherboard, I usually get a new case and do a whole new build and sell the old build on craigslist. Easier to sell it as a whole than to part it out.

So to your question about how often you upgrade, it depends on what you upgrade with and what games you play. My current build will probably last me 6+ years, depending on what is released (both games and PC parts). My first build, I think I could have upgraded more often.

Here's a link to my last two builds: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/djpimmy/builds/
Old 08-22-2018, 12:28 PM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
I built my first PC in 2010 with a super budget (<$500, pretty mediocre), and with that build I upgraded RAM to 8gb after about a year and my video card to a GTX 460 around the same time, then only had to replace the power supply 3 years later due to my own fault while moving.

That lasted me until last year for esports titles. If I wanted to be playing the latest AAA single player games, it wouldn't have cut it. I upgraded a year ago and built a new PC with $1000 budget, which was so much faster, it blew me away. Then, after getting some insurance money in April this year, I decided to go all out and spent around 2.5k on my current build.

Feel free to talk to me about any questions if you want to do a new build. You technically never would have to get a new case unless yours broke in some way, but if I'm getting a new motherboard, I usually get a new case and do a whole new build and sell the old build on craigslist. Easier to sell it as a whole than to part it out.

So to your question about how often you upgrade, it depends on what you upgrade with and what games you play. My current build will probably last me 6+ years, depending on what is released (both games and PC parts). My first build, I think I could have upgraded more often.

Here's a link to my last two builds: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/djpimmy/builds/
Your build is sooooo purrrrrtyyyyy

Old 08-22-2018, 12:28 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
What are some games that demand the most power? I hear it's these FPS games that I don't mainly care about. True?
FPS probably are the most demanding when it comes to power - because you want the ability to have as little limitations when trying to take down another player.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:37 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Here is the best way to think about the issue:

PCs offer the most variety, the most power, and the most options. That complexity is the downside, as manufacturers have to try to make sure that their software runs on so much variety - that you may have to spend time troubleshooting games to get them to work.

The consoles replace all that variety, power and options for simplicity. For the most part, start the game and go.

On the consoles, everyone is about equal in rigs - so if you get into multiplayer, you're not really going to be out performed by someone using significantly better hardware. On PC, you have the option of being the person outperforming others because of their rig.

----

So, given your specific situation:

Unless you have a lot of friends on the X-box, it is probably the console that I would recommend the least. Many of its exclusives run on PC - and you have a gaming PC that you could most likely run them on. It would probably be best to take the money you'd spend on the Xbox and sink it into improving your PC.

For consoles that leave the PS4 versus the Switch. For these, the best decider is the exclusives. The Switch is less powerful than every option - so there are games on the current gen that can't be ported.

Otherwise, improve you gaming PC.