Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 08-24-2018, 07:03 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
But that's my point... I'd rather spend $400 than $2000 lol
If you want to go cheaper on the hardware, a console is probably much better choice. You won't feel the pressure to improve the hardware that you will feel with a PC.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:42 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
If you want to go cheaper on the hardware, a console is probably much better choice. You won't feel the pressure to improve the hardware that you will feel with a PC.
Even though I'm 100% a PC gamer, I agree with the point made here. However, again, it all comes down to the games you want to play. If you want to play games that are available on console, then it's cheaper to play them on console, but your experience will be different. I'd never recommend people play Diablo 3 or Overwatch on console, but if your choice is to play it there or not play it because it would cost $600-$800 to build a budget gaming PC for those games and that's too much, then there's your answer.

If you only play single player and the game is on console, I'd vote for that. If you want to play other games (WoW, starcraft, good VR, etc.) that you really can't play on a console, then let's start planning out a build! I know you mentioned that you can spare the money for a good build if that's what you decide to do, but I've made several builds with different budgets, so there can always be a balance.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:37 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Maybe you can directly compare its specs to a current gen console. I bet it's already pretty close.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
dude you're a childless, unmarried FSA. you can afford to spend money for a computer if those are the games you really want to play
Old 08-27-2018, 11:03 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
dude you're a childless, unmarried FSA. you can afford to spend money for a computer if those are the games you really want to play
Jeesh. Maybe I just have priorities...

I went ahead and got the PS4 and I think it's a good choice. Played the remastered Crash Bandicoot for a while.

Also bought Mortal Kombat X, Persona 5, FF15. We'll see what else I get.

Being able to lay on the couch and game is pretty sweet. Thing is with PC you more or less need to be at a desk. Never found gamepad play on PC to be great.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:18 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: The Meddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
Even though I'm 100% a PC gamer, I agree with the point made here. However, again, it all comes down to the games you want to play. If you want to play games that are available on console, then it's cheaper to play them on console, but your experience will be different. I'd never recommend people play Diablo 3 or Overwatch on console, but if your choice is to play it there or not play it because it would cost $600-$800 to build a budget gaming PC for those games and that's too much, then there's your answer.

If you only play single player and the game is on console, I'd vote for that. If you want to play other games (WoW, starcraft, good VR, etc.) that you really can't play on a console, then let's start planning out a build! I know you mentioned that you can spare the money for a good build if that's what you decide to do, but I've made several builds with different budgets, so there can always be a balance.
Hey, I like Diablo 3 on PS4. I also prefer gamepad over keyboard and mouse since I dislike sitting so close to the screen for extended periods of time. That said, it really does come down to what games you prefer and who you'll be playing with (if anyone).

I also chose the wrong time to build a budget gaming PC since video card prices went all crazy for crypto mining. From what I hear I might be able to get a reasonable card now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMO View Post
I'll tell you straight up that I think my religion is better than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Outside the context of my faith, I am not intolerant of you ... If anything here, you're being a bit of a bigot towards me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I thought that's what I was saying, exactly. One day I (or people like me) will be thought of exactly as you and I think of racists in the deep south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
I put the whole cob in my mouth and suck the kernels right off in one swift motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
What 6-year-old boy didn't occasionally stick his junk between his legs during bathtime just to say, "Look, Mommy, I'm a girl!" as a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett Cake Pan View Post
I can see having a discussion about magic potions vs. pharmaceuticals in a chemistry class. I think that's a good idea.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:23 PM

My cousin is talking about building himself a computer, and asked him to build two. Now I'm rethinking. I play Rocket League and Fortnite. Right now I have a "gaming laptop" (HP from Best Buy) and "high-speed internet" (200 MBs I think), and it works pretty well.

Thinking of getting a separate gaming PC, partially so my wife can use the home laptop on demand, and partially because I play a decent amount and would like to optimize the experience. Advice on if I should trust my cousin (very smart, tech-savvy guy, but doesn't do PCs for a living or anything) or just buy my own? And in which case, what should I get and where? Budget is less of a concern that price/value payoff. If $3k is 3x more valuable than a $1k computer I can build, or if the $1k version wouldn't be much different than the gaming laptop I have, then I would lean toward doing the $3k version or not getting anything.

Also, I currently play on wifi. Am I crazy? I'm not sure how feasible it is to get a wired connection into my office. Is it really that different?
Old 10-30-2018, 01:11 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

I have an Alienware 18, and absolutely love it. I swapped the GPUs to twin 980Ms a year or so ago. Might swap the processor at some point, cuz they're not making the 18 inch anymore. But eventually I won't be able to upgrade. Maybe I will at least be able to use the chassis and rebuild something into it. It's basically a desktop replacement. I use it as a laptop, but it's big and heavy.

Got my kids decent Alienwares for Christmas last year, and they were a bit cheaper ($1500 each) with some Cyber Monday deals. I think they are 15 inch.

If you go this route, you want the fastest processor you can afford, I prefer the i7. You want at least 16GB of RAM (and more is probably not needed). SSD definitely is a worthwhile upgrade. M2 for the OS and a big SSD for everything else is a good way to go.

I use mine on wifi most of the time, and it's fine. But I don't play online PvP, like Rocket League. Wired would be more stable, but if it's working, don't worry about it.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Actuary View Post
My cousin is talking about building himself a computer, and asked him to build two. Now I'm rethinking. I play Rocket League and Fortnite. Right now I have a "gaming laptop" (HP from Best Buy) and "high-speed internet" (200 MBs I think), and it works pretty well.

Thinking of getting a separate gaming PC, partially so my wife can use the home laptop on demand, and partially because I play a decent amount and would like to optimize the experience. Advice on if I should trust my cousin (very smart, tech-savvy guy, but doesn't do PCs for a living or anything) or just buy my own? And in which case, what should I get and where? Budget is less of a concern that price/value payoff. If $3k is 3x more valuable than a $1k computer I can build, or if the $1k version wouldn't be much different than the gaming laptop I have, then I would lean toward doing the $3k version or not getting anything.

Also, I currently play on wifi. Am I crazy? I'm not sure how feasible it is to get a wired connection into my office. Is it really that different?
As with most answers for PC builds, it depends.

How comfortably does your gaming laptop run RL (max with 100+ FPS no problem or no?). Maybe tell us your GPU in the laptop, I don't know as much about them to judge your current laptop capabilities.

I think the answer mainly depends on how comfortably you run your current games and how important getting a PC to free up the laptop is. You definitely don't need to drop 3k (or even close to that) on a rig, especially if you likely aren't going to be playing games that are too graphically intensive in the near future.

I found learning about the PC build interesting, as I did my own research and bought the parts individually and then assembled it. Doesn't seem like you want to go this route (but I do recommend considering it, you don't need to be a PC wizard). Would your cousin be assembling it for you or were you both thinking of buying prebuilt rigs?

Playing on WiFi isn't the end of the world, just depends how much you care about it. You probably get a tiny delay vs a hard wire and could be more prone to blips in connection (but you would know that from your current setup already).
Old 10-30-2018, 12:25 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

The PS4 I bought doubles nicely as a media box, too. My Sony Bravia is a smart TV but the interface is so slow and kinda clunky.

Frankly they serve different purposes. Sometimes I'll play single player games on the couch, and sometimes I'll play MMOs/MOBAs at the desk. Or surf the web.