Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-05-2018, 01:21 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post
144hz? not a connoisseur, but does that make a huge diff over 120? (then again, hard to find 120hz monitors also)
120 and 144 are pretty similar, but I mostly see 144hz in gaming monitors and 120 in TV's. There might be a science behind but but I'm not sure.

Also, getting 144fps with 4k resolution is extremely taxing on the system, so I would not suggest getting one of those monitors unless you have a new RTX 2080ti and a new i7-9700k at least.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
120 and 144 are pretty similar, but I mostly see 144hz in gaming monitors and 120 in TV's. There might be a science behind but but I'm not sure.

Also, getting 144fps with 4k resolution is extremely taxing on the system, so I would not suggest getting one of those monitors unless you have a new RTX 2080ti and a new i7-9700k at least.
The 144hz makes a difference when your within 3 feet of the screen like a monitor. With a TV you're at 3-5 times farther away.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelMustard View Post
The 144hz makes a difference when your within 3 feet of the screen like a monitor. With a TV you're at 3-5 times farther away.
I have never heard this before. Distance from the screen matters for resolution but I've never heard that it affects the FPS that your eyes capture. Do you have a source to back this up? A quick google didn't give me any good results.

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:29 PM
SOA

Thanks for the info. Did some basic research at lunch and have a bit better idea now. Essentially, Hz only matters based on what kind of FPS you get in games.

I just looked up my current monitor (thanks Amazon order history). It is an ASUS 23in 1920x1080 2ms response 60 Hz, first coming to market in 2011, and bought in 2013.

So thinking about the games I play, Rocket League and a couple other games I don't play that often right now could benefit from a 144Hz monitor, but other games like PUBG likely wouldn't based on my FPS.

My next question is how polarizing is the benefit from a 144 Hz monitor. For instance, I get around 100 FPS in PUBG these days, but my monitor only refreshes 60 FPS (if I'm understanding this all correctly). If I upgrade to a 144 Hz monitor would I notice significant differences in PUBG even though I get less than 144 FPS?
Old 11-05-2018, 03:32 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Thanks for the info. Did some basic research at lunch and have a bit better idea now. Essentially, Hz only matters based on what kind of FPS you get in games.

I just looked up my current monitor (thanks Amazon order history). It is an ASUS 23in 1920x1080 2ms response 60 Hz, first coming to market in 2011, and bought in 2013.

So thinking about the games I play, Rocket League and a couple other games I don't play that often right now could benefit from a 144Hz monitor, but other games like PUBG likely wouldn't based on my FPS.

My next question is how polarizing is the benefit from a 144 Hz monitor. For instance, I get around 100 FPS in PUBG these days, but my monitor only refreshes 60 FPS (if I'm understanding this all correctly). If I upgrade to a 144 Hz monitor would I notice significant differences in PUBG even though I get less than 144 FPS?
I notice a huge difference between 60 and 144 fps when playing action games (FPS), so I would say it's worth getting into. If possible, lower settings on PUBG to benefit from the whole 144fps
Old 11-05-2018, 03:55 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Word to the wise... some monitors have different inputs and not all of them are necessarily capable of performing at the highest refresh rate. For example, my monitor can only do 144Hz on the DVI port but not on HDMI.

I think this should only be an issue with older monitors but it's worth keeping an eye out for.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I notice a huge difference between 60 and 144 fps when playing action games (FPS), so I would say it's worth getting into. If possible, lower settings on PUBG to benefit from the whole 144fps

I paid about $275 for a samsung TV with 120hz refresh rate and 4k resolution that I use as a monitor.

How would this be inferior to previously mentioned $2000 monitor aside from the 144 vs 120hz refresh rate?
Old 11-05-2018, 03:58 PM
SOA

Quote:
Right, of course you feel a benefit from 60 to 144 FPS, my question is more aimed at would I feel a benefit from 60 Hz monitor to a 144 Hz monitor when I get around 100 FPS on lower settings already.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:00 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Ninja View Post
Word to the wise... some monitors have different inputs and not all of them are necessarily capable of performing at the highest refresh rate. For example, my monitor can only do 144Hz on the DVI port but not on HDMI.

I think this should only be an issue with older monitors but it's worth keeping an eye out for.
Is there an accessible resource for finding out this information? I wouldn't imagine it would be listed right in the Amazon product description specs.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:18 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Is there an accessible resource for finding out this information? I wouldn't imagine it would be listed right in the Amazon product description specs.
Most likely won't be on Amazon description. The product's manual that you can download from the manufacturer's website would be your best bet. Also keep in mind input lag specifications (measured in milliseconds) when buying a monitor.

Last edited by Fat Ninja; 11-05-2018 at 04:26 PM..