Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-03-2018, 02:53 PM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 39,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytuttle View Post
I sometimes play with these scammers and tell them that I have several computers, so which one is having the service issue.
I used to do that, until one of these guys actually convinced my MIL to download some software and give him her credit card number. That was a mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
I got one of those calls a few months ago, from a live person (not a recording). I decided to give him a morality lesson, making clear that I thought he was a thief. Strangely, that offended him.
Yeah, now I ask them if their mother knows they are cheating elderly people on the internet for a living. They typically curse me and hang up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i'm the an old fart ITT and don't answer calls from unknown #s
I get a decent number of real calls from unknown numbers. The bookstore or the dry cleaner calls to tell me something is ready to pick up. Yesterday I got a call from someone related to an event I had organized. Playing phone tag is a drag, and I don't want to enter all those numbers into my phone. And I don't mind hanging up.

I got the one about windows being broken yesterday, too.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-03-2018, 03:00 PM
BG5150's Avatar
BG5150 BG5150 is online now
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Favorite beer: the one you're buying me
Posts: 20,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I used to do that, until one of these guys actually convinced my MIL to download some software and give him her credit card number. That was a mess.
What does you playing around with the scammers have to do with your mom-in-law being a victim?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-03-2018, 09:00 PM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 37,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
What does you playing around with the scammers have to do with your mom-in-law being a victim?
If more people played the same game as JT, the callers would not have as much time available to call gullible mothers in law.
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Kenny's Avatar
Kenny Kenny is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
If more people played the same game as JT, the callers would not have as much time available to call gullible mothers in law.
Except PP said she stopped after her MIL was scammed.
__________________
I am a scientist. I am sorry to disappoint you but I have never seen an elf or a troll. But who am I to exclude their existence? - Arni Bjoernsson
You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil. ... Dumb students are educated stupid. - timecube.com
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto


Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-04-2018, 03:02 PM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 39,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
What does you playing around with the scammers have to do with your mom-in-law being a victim?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Except PP said she stopped after her MIL was scammed.
Yup. After she was scammed, I was too annoyed with them to waste MY time playing around with them. And if I can shame the occasional call-center employee into quitting, I am increasing the costs of the scammers. Probably more than you are by wasting the time of the call-center people.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-04-2018, 03:32 PM
glassy glassy is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I get a decent number of real calls from unknown numbers. The bookstore or the dry cleaner calls to tell me something is ready to pick up. Yesterday I got a call from someone related to an event I had organized. Playing phone tag is a drag, and I don't want to enter all those numbers into my phone. And I don't mind hanging up.
They won't leave a voicemail if you don't answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Probably more than you are by wasting the time of the call-center people.
But probably less than just not answering unknown numbers. If no one answered unknown calls, scammers would be forced to abandon this practice.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-04-2018, 04:20 PM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 39,262
Default

I don't like voicemail.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-04-2018, 06:26 PM
1695814's Avatar
1695814 1695814 is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root
Posts: 35,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
They won't leave a voicemail if you don't answer?
They just use automatic dialers that just dial and dial and dial and dial until someone picks up. They don't leave vm. That's why there's usually a big ol' pause between the time you say "Hello" and the time they respond with "This is Richard Smith from Microsoft Technical Support..."
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-04-2018, 06:58 PM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 39,262
Default

glassy meant to ask if the real callers don't leave voicemail. I suppose they mostly do. I don't. I hate voicemail. If I didn't reach someone and have something I need to communicate now, I will usually text them. If I just called to chat with a friend, and they don't pick up, I will hang up and try next week. If it's a business, and they don't pick up, and my need isn't urgent, I'll try calling back later. Or not.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-04-2018, 07:19 PM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
glassy meant to ask if the real callers don't leave voicemail. I suppose they mostly do. I don't. I hate voicemail. If I didn't reach someone and have something I need to communicate now, I will usually text them. If I just called to chat with a friend, and they don't pick up, I will hang up and try next week. If it's a business, and they don't pick up, and my need isn't urgent, I'll try calling back later. Or not.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.18587 seconds with 9 queries