Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-28-2018, 02:30 PM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 39,311
Default Google Fi now available on most Android phones

email I got from Google, today:

Introducing Google Fi

After 3 years of growing with you, our Project Fi community, we're excited to announce some big news: Project Fi is now Google Fi. Your service and billing won't be impacted, but you'll notice a new name, logo, and look-and-feel in places like your Google Fi app and your Google Fi account.

You can now also bring most Android phones and iPhones to Google Fi. While these phones get most of the Google Fi features you know and love, only phones designed for Fi, like the Moto X4 you have, unlock all of Google Fi's
unique features, including seamless switching between cellular networks and automatic connection to secure Wi-Fi hotspots. Since you're already on the best Google Fi experience, you don't need to take any action for your own account. Feel free to share the news with friends or family who might be interested in bringing a phone to Google Fi.

Finally, if you're looking for a new phone, we're celebrating our big day with one-day offers on all phones designed for Fi, from the Pixel 3 to the Moto G6. Everyone is eligible for these offersówhether you're looking for a phone for yourself or know someone you'd like to refer to Google Fi.

Today's update is just the start, and we can't wait to bring you more from Google Fi. As always, please reach out if you have any questionsówe're here for you 24/7.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-28-2018, 03:18 PM
Fat Ninja's Avatar
Fat Ninja Fat Ninja is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Studying for FSA
Posts: 156
Default

I've been looking into FI lately since AT&T coverage sucks where I live. This offer is actually really good. "When you purchase a qualifying device on fi.google.com, you can redeem a travel gift card in the amount you paid for the device, excluding taxes (details below)."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-28-2018, 03:22 PM
act_123 act_123 is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,665
Default

How does google fi work exactly?
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-28-2018, 03:34 PM
act2106 act2106 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
How does google fi work exactly?
I wondered the same thing. https://fi.google.com/about/faq/ Just the first two or three questions there will give you a good idea of the basics.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-28-2018, 03:40 PM
act_123 act_123 is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,665
Default

Thanks cuz
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-28-2018, 03:41 PM
yoyo's Avatar
yoyo yoyo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 22,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
email I got from Google, today:

Introducing Google Fi

After 3 years of growing with you, our Project Fi community, we're excited to announce some big news: Project Fi is now Google Fi. Your service and billing won't be impacted, but you'll notice a new name, logo, and look-and-feel in places like your Google Fi app and your Google Fi account.

You can now also bring most Android phones and iPhones to Google Fi. While these phones get most of the Google Fi features you know and love, only phones designed for Fi, like the Moto X4 you have, unlock all of Google Fi's
unique features, including seamless switching between cellular networks and automatic connection to secure Wi-Fi hotspots. Since you're already on the best Google Fi experience, you don't need to take any action for your own account. Feel free to share the news with friends or family who might be interested in bringing a phone to Google Fi.

Finally, if you're looking for a new phone, we're celebrating our big day with one-day offers on all phones designed for Fi, from the Pixel 3 to the Moto G6. Everyone is eligible for these offersówhether you're looking for a phone for yourself or know someone you'd like to refer to Google Fi.

Today's update is just the start, and we can't wait to bring you more from Google Fi. As always, please reach out if you have any questionsówe're here for you 24/7.
rumor has it that some OnePlus phones will be added to Fi
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-28-2018, 03:42 PM
act_123 act_123 is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,665
Default

If the carrier constantly switches are calls dropped a lot?
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-28-2018, 04:19 PM
CuriousGeorge CuriousGeorge is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
rumor has it that some OnePlus phones will be added to Fi
The compatibility page says my unlocked OnePlus 3 would work.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-28-2018, 04:23 PM
Entropy Entropy is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Earth...ish
Favorite beer: The Meddler
Posts: 9,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
If the carrier constantly switches are calls dropped a lot?
It only switches when there is a stronger signal.
__________________
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMO View Post
I'll tell you straight up that I think my religion is better than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Outside the context of my faith, I am not intolerant of you ... If anything here, you're being a bit of a bigot towards me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I thought that's what I was saying, exactly. One day I (or people like me) will be thought of exactly as you and I think of racists in the deep south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
I put the whole cob in my mouth and suck the kernels right off in one swift motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
What 6-year-old boy didn't occasionally stick his junk between his legs during bathtime just to say, "Look, Mommy, I'm a girl!" as a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett Cake Pan View Post
I can see having a discussion about magic potions vs. pharmaceuticals in a chemistry class. I think that's a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-28-2018, 04:35 PM
LifeIsAPoissonProcess's Avatar
LifeIsAPoissonProcess LifeIsAPoissonProcess is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Studying for 7
Favorite beer: Bourbon County
Posts: 6,502
Default

Coincidentally I started another thread today referencing leaving FI to go to Verizon. The FI service has been very poor in our area, although it is nice to be able to travel internationally without having to make arrangements for your mobile data.
__________________
Quote:
And you should be the best Actuary not the worst Actuary. - Latitude 30
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.17165 seconds with 9 queries