Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-28-2018, 05:10 PM
Non-Actuary

"Most" Android phones? From what I see on their compatibility lists, it doesn't work on the vast majority of the sub-$200 Android phones out there, of which there are hundreds of models (including mine).
Old 11-28-2018, 05:58 PM
CAS

google has a 1 day sale of up to $999 back in gift card on purchase of qualifying merch

https://store.google.com/collection/offers

for me it would mean pixel 3 and $799 Delta airlines gift card
Old 11-28-2018, 07:01 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
If the carrier constantly switches are calls dropped a lot?
No. Voice quality isn't great, in my experience, but I've never had trouble with a call being dropped. Still, this is phone service for people who care more about data than about chatting on their cell phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsAPoissonProcess View Post
Coincidentally I started another thread today referencing leaving FI to go to Verizon. The FI service has been very poor in our area, although it is nice to be able to travel internationally without having to make arrangements for your mobile data.
Both Verizon and AT&T have better service where i live. But this is simple, cheap, streams well (something i couldn't do with my prior phone) and is awesome when i travel.

Last edited by PeppermintPatty; 11-28-2018 at 09:22 PM..
Old 11-28-2018, 07:03 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
google has a 1 day sale of up to $999 back in gift card on purchase of qualifying merch

https://store.google.com/collection/offers

for me it would mean pixel 3 and $799 Delta airlines gift card
I just took advantage of this. Upgraded to Pixel 3 XL from Pixel 2 and actually just switched over to Google fi a couple of weeks ago. This a pretty sweet deal. I went for all the bells and whistles, XL version and 128 gb to get the max rebate of $999.

Last edited by KernelMustard; 11-28-2018 at 07:06 PM..
Old 11-28-2018, 08:01 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelMustard View Post
I just took advantage of this. Upgraded to Pixel 3 XL from Pixel 2 and actually just switched over to Google fi a couple of weeks ago. This a pretty sweet deal. I went for all the bells and whistles, XL version and 128 gb to get the max rebate of $999.
yep, give away the hardware to get subscription service revenue plus more user data
Old 11-28-2018, 08:23 PM
SOA

Studying for golf

Really debating this, the Pixel3 for free deal is the best it'll be, but I'm not sure I can/want to rush port my number over by EOD. Also, my iPhone6S is still going strong, and now that Fi allows it maybe I'll keep it for a fourth year and get the cheap battery upgrade. Decisions, decisions, decisions

Though it also looks like you can port over a Google Voice number, which I would have to set up, but would give me some extra time to get my existing one sorted. eta - that probably wouldn't work since I think you need to have had the prior number for 3 months, alas!

Last edited by Numerical Neuroticism; 11-28-2018 at 08:36 PM..
Old 11-29-2018, 01:36 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical Neuroticism View Post
Really debating this, the Pixel3 for free deal is the best it'll be, but I'm not sure I can/want to rush port my number over by EOD. Also, my iPhone6S is still going strong, and now that Fi allows it maybe I'll keep it for a fourth year and get the cheap battery upgrade. Decisions, decisions, decisions

Though it also looks like you can port over a Google Voice number, which I would have to set up, but would give me some extra time to get my existing one sorted. eta - that probably wouldn't work since I think you need to have had the prior number for 3 months, alas!
i don't think you have to port number by EOD, but it's too late for that info now. i think you have 15 days from shipping to port
Old 11-29-2018, 09:24 AM
SOA

Studying for golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i don't think you have to port number by EOD, but it's too late for that info now. i think you have 15 days from shipping to port
Ah, it seemed like it had to be done during signup which I took to mean EOD I'll prob stick with my 6S for now, move it over to Fi in the next month or so, and keep an eye out for deals around Xmas

I'm also still debating the Pixels in terms of the lesser evil between having all data go to one overlord or it to be spread amongst several

Last edited by Numerical Neuroticism; 11-29-2018 at 09:28 AM..
Old 11-29-2018, 09:52 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
"Most" Android phones? From what I see on their compatibility lists, it doesn't work on the vast majority of the sub-$200 Android phones out there, of which there are hundreds of models (including mine).
I guess they exaggerate. Sorry.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:31 PM
CAS

i got the pixel 3 deal. Delta is our first choice for airlines given we're in ATL. we fly often enough anyway so the $799 Delta gift card makes sense, so it's essentially a free phone and possibly a lower phone bill.