Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-07-2018, 12:13 AM
Non-Actuary

Default Database log file?

I'm not much of a database person, so perhaps these are some really dumb questions...

At work, we have an Access database that has multiple people entering data into it (which seems like really bad practice to me, and worries me a lot...). Is there some way of automatically logging who's changed what recently?

If this functionality doesn't exist in Access, does it perhaps exist in a different database program?

Is there some way of semi-automatically <not sure if this is the right way of calling it> maintaining the data in two separate states. Basically, older entries that have passed a QA/QC process and newer entries that still need to undergo a QA/QC process?
Old 12-07-2018, 12:20 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I can't say for access but real databases like sql server ought to have the feature. As for QA you might want to create a separate table that contains QA checks as a transaction. You can join the main table to it to check which entries have undergone a check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:32 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: too many to list here

if you are that worried about access control to this data, you should probably discuss with IT what can be done to maintain data integrity and design a robust solution for this data. this way they can also put some controls around the process, which really is required if you read the data quality asop closely. alternatively you can make the database read only and password protect it, that way if someone needs to make a change they need to go through you first.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by oedipus rex View Post
if you are that worried about access control to this data, you should probably discuss with IT what can be done to maintain data integrity and design a robust solution for this data. this way they can also put some controls around the process, which really is required if you read the data quality asop closely. alternatively you can make the database read only and password protect it, that way if someone needs to make a change they need to go through you first.
The problem is we have multiple groups of technicians entering data directly through various forms and then other technicians updating fields as they complete various tasks.

On top of that we're currently going through some staff turnover at the moment for a few different reasons including the person who was up until recently in overall charge of our group and who may or may not return to the position (some health issues). I'm a bit worried about people maliciously trying to damage the database, but am also worried about inadvertent errors given that I've already identified numerous errors.

I'm not familiar with the data quality asop, but note that this isn't actuarial work. Do you have a link? It could be useful reading. If I end up getting control of the database I may look at the SQL server option. We're having some broader division wide discussions about data management and software/code migrations as our SAS users are rapidly retiring and the new hires are more R or python users. It may be that I can push to a broader shift to SQL server...