Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > VEE > Finance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 04-03-2018, 09:42 AM
SOA

College: LSU Undergraduate, Texas A&M Graduate
Default Considering ACTEX

The main argument I've seen used against CA is that the lesson are taken out of context from a CFA course. Therefore, if you don't have the sufficient background it's quite a chore to complete the course.

After a little research, ACTEX appears to be a decent standalone course. I currently prefer it over going the CPCU 540 route. Just wondering why it hasn't gotten more love here and even if it could be a better option than CPCU540. Has anyone taken this course before? Thoughts?
APC
Old 05-31-2018, 08:20 AM
SOA

College: LSU Undergraduate, Texas A&M Graduate

Just to update, I just finished this course. Took me about 4 weeks with about 25-30 hours of study time.

I would highly recommend to anyone who has passed P and FM and especially anyone about to take IFM. You start out going through basic balance sheets, but the next three modules focus on option pricing and betas of security. You even get a nice intro to Black-Scholes and Binomial Trees.

There are 4 assignments, each worth 10% of your grade, and the final, which is very similar to these assignments, is 60%. The video lectures are informative and concise, and the assignments/course notes are just as good. Plus you don't have to go to a Prometric center like you do for CPCU540.

Of the three VEEs, I definitely got the most out of this one. I'd highly recommend ACTEX for Corporate Finance
APC
Old 05-31-2018, 03:53 PM
Non-Actuary

College: UMass Amherst
Favorite beer: Coors Light

Hello Dalek23. Thanks for your review and recommendation of the ACTEX VEE Corporate Finance course. It is a very popular course and consistently receives highly favorable feedback in the post-course survey.

We are fortunate to have extremely talented and responsive instructors who've painstakingly crafted their course to focus specifically on what Actuaries will need to know. Drs. Johnny Li and Andrew Ng are the authors of the ACTEX IFM (formerly MFE) Study Manual so they definitely know their Finance!

Thank you again for your praise of our VEE Corporate Finance course. ACTEX Learning exists to help people become Actuaries. It's not easy by any measure, but we'll make sure you're ready for what comes. What can we do to help you?

Click to view our Actuarial eLearning Offerings:
Webinars | Exam Prep | VEE Courses
Old 10-28-2018, 03:02 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalek23 View Post
Just to update, I just finished this course. Took me about 4 weeks with about 25-30 hours of study time.

I would highly recommend to anyone who has passed P and FM and especially anyone about to take IFM. You start out going through basic balance sheets, but the next three modules focus on option pricing and betas of security. You even get a nice intro to Black-Scholes and Binomial Trees.

There are 4 assignments, each worth 10% of your grade, and the final, which is very similar to these assignments, is 60%. The video lectures are informative and concise, and the assignments/course notes are just as good. Plus you don't have to go to a Prometric center like you do for CPCU540.

Of the three VEEs, I definitely got the most out of this one. I'd highly recommend ACTEX for Corporate Finance
How much time do you get to complete one of the 4 homework assignments once you begin working on it?
Old 10-29-2018, 10:14 AM
Non-Actuary

Lightbulb ACTEX VEE Corporate Finance On-Demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
How much time do you get to complete one of the 4 homework assignments once you begin working on it?
Hello RJC and thanks for your question. The ACTEX VEE Corporate Finance course is an on-demand course that allows you to set your own pace for the completion of assignments and taking the final exam. Once you purchase the course, you get 180-days (six months) to finish the course on your own schedule.

I am always happy to extend enrollment for those who need more time. We understand that life happens and the unexpected can have an impact. At ACTEX Learning, we care more about people than dates. So I hope you will enroll and get VEE Corporate Finance credit with the SOA before the requirements change on July 1, 2019.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am happy to be of service. Thank you, Alan

Old 10-29-2018, 12:37 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan.Actex View Post
Hello RJC and thanks for your question. The ACTEX VEE Corporate Finance course is an on-demand course that allows you to set your own pace for the completion of assignments and taking the final exam. Once you purchase the course, you get 180-days (six months) to finish the course on your own schedule.

I am always happy to extend enrollment for those who need more time. We understand that life happens and the unexpected can have an impact. At ACTEX Learning, we care more about people than dates. So I hope you will enroll and get VEE Corporate Finance credit with the SOA before the requirements change on July 1, 2019.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am happy to be of service. Thank you, Alan
I actually enrolled in the class over the weekend and was getting ready to start the first assignment after having gone through the videos and readings.
I was just wondering if I started the assignment and then had to stop for some reason.......can I resume it and finish it later or is it that once you start an assignment you have to finish it right away?

I didn't want to click on it on the website until I knew for certain. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Non-Actuary

Lightbulb Reply to your question -- better late than never!

Hi RJC, thank you for the question. I have just changed my settings here in the AO to subscribe to my own posts with notifications so this kind of miss doesn't happen again. I apologize for the very late reply!

I spoke with our instructors and they assure me that you can start and stop and resume the assignments with no problem. The assignment must be submitted to close and finalize them.

If there were to be a technical glitch, then I would review the assignment attempt and reset the assignment so another attempt would be permitted, however, if the assignment was obviously completed but was unsatisfactory, I would have to ask the instructors for guidance.

We take academic integrity very seriously here at ACTEX Learning. The fact is that our courses are of the highest quality and our VEE instructors are all university professors who have created these courses to approximate a one-semester course in college.

I hope that answers your question, if you are still in the course and ever need assistance, please email me: alan@actexmadriver.com and I will respond in a much more timely manner. Thank you! Alan