Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-06-2019, 09:28 PM
SOA AAA

One would hope that a recruiter has done some research.
A simple test question to ask them is, "Where do I work?"
Old 04-01-2019, 02:54 PM

This isn't bad behavior so much as just a bit of a facepalm.

I've been out of the actuarial work space for over 3 years, working at a company not faintly related to insurance. I just got a call from a recruiter on my cell phone. I was intrigued, since I think my skill set would actually be very interesting to an insurer at this point.

But no, they still thought I worked at the same company I was at last time we talked 4 years ago (despite linked in, SOA registry being updated) and promptly ended the call as soon as they found out my current work wasn't actuarial.

On the upside, they never struck me as particularly helpful, and I'm kinda glad not to have to talk to them again.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:50 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
This isn't bad behavior so much as just a bit of a facepalm.

I've been out of the actuarial work space for over 3 years, working at a company not faintly related to insurance. I just got a call from a recruiter on my cell phone. I was intrigued, since I think my skill set would actually be very interesting to an insurer at this point.

But no, they still thought I worked at the same company I was at last time we talked 4 years ago (despite linked in, SOA registry being updated) and promptly ended the call as soon as they found out my current work wasn't actuarial.

On the upside, they never struck me as particularly helpful, and I'm kinda glad not to have to talk to them again.
no assurances they won't call again.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:45 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Here's a new recruiter question: Would you find it odd if your recruiter was using a fake name? What about if all of the recruiters at a firm were using a fake name?

There was a recruiter who used to contact me ALL THE TIME on LinkedIn who suddenly went quiet although her LinkedIn profile was still active. For some reason I took it upon myself to search LinkedIn to see if she had another profile (unique enough first name that this was doable). She has a different last name now - cool, probably got married, but I also found it interesting that she'd started a whole new LinkedIn profile.

Well now this gets internet stalker-ish, but for some reason I decided to look up another recruiter who used to work there - same thing, totally different name now. Then I go down a rabbit hole and realize that almost all the recruiters at this place have very generic last names and they may all be made up. They seem to go back to their real last names when they switch firms. Maybe this is to make them seem approachable, to keep their personal lives private, kind of like a stage name - or maybe it's almost like a built-in non compete, they can't use their recruiter names from this place if they switch firms?

Weird or normal?

It obviously doesn't have an impact on how good at recruiting they are but for some reason strikes me as a little odd so I'm wondering how common this is. Because I'm so intrigued by this I then looked up someone who is probably my go-to recruiter if I were looking for a job, they're at a totally different firm, and it was easy enough to figure out that they're using a fake last name too.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:50 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
Here's a new recruiter question: Would you find it odd if your recruiter was using a fake name? What about if all of the recruiters at a firm were using a fake name?

There was a recruiter who used to contact me ALL THE TIME on LinkedIn who suddenly went quiet although her LinkedIn profile was still active. For some reason I took it upon myself to search LinkedIn to see if she had another profile (unique enough first name that this was doable). She has a different last name now - cool, probably got married, but I also found it interesting that she'd started a whole new LinkedIn profile.

Well now this gets internet stalker-ish, but for some reason I decided to look up another recruiter who used to work there - same thing, totally different name now. Then I go down a rabbit hole and realize that almost all the recruiters at this place have very generic last names and they may all be made up. They seem to go back to their real last names when they switch firms. Maybe this is to make them seem approachable, to keep their personal lives private, kind of like a stage name - or maybe it's almost like a built-in non compete, they can't use their recruiter names from this place if they switch firms?

Weird or normal?

It obviously doesn't have an impact on how good at recruiting they are but for some reason strikes me as a little odd so I'm wondering how common this is. Because I'm so intrigued by this I then looked up someone who is probably my go-to recruiter if I were looking for a job, they're at a totally different firm, and it was easy enough to figure out that they're using a fake last name too.
I knew a few who used fake names, always honest about it if asked, but some just wanted simpler - easier name to use.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:36 PM
Non-Actuary

Got a LI message for a job that required specific product experience (which I don't have) as well as an ASA or FSA. At the end of the message the recruiter has a definitions section to define ASA & FSA. I guess that is in case the people with that designation forgot what it meant.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:37 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Got a LI message for a job that required specific product experience (which I don't have) as well as an ASA or FSA. At the end of the message the recruiter has a definitions section to define ASA & FSA. I guess that is in case the people with that designation forgot what it meant.
Apparently I missed the best part of the definition the first time through.

Quote:
ASA = Associate in the Society of Actuaries (3/4 actuary)

Old 04-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Should be 3/5, shouldn't it?

I'm raising money for children's cancer research by getting my head shaved again - my 11th year!!! - at a St Baldrick's event. Please help out by making a donation! Any amount helps!

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Or if you're in the area, you can come out to the event and say hi, see me get shaved, have a beverage or two, and see an appearance by Stark Raving Dad. It's at the Kerry Piper in Willowbrook, IL on Sunday, March 17th, 2019 probably from about 11AM to 3PM. If you show up, you'll get a chance to hear me sing Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's "Almost Cut My Hair".

Please help this great cause and make a donation!
Old 04-10-2019, 01:31 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
Should be 3/5, shouldn't it?
Ouch.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:27 PM
COPA

Studying for FAP (hehehe nice)

Got an unsolicited email from XX with Random Recruiter that I put straight into my junk bin. I get a follow up email like 10 minutes later with the following :

image removed

Totally gonna stop using DWS and switch to this guy now imo!

Last edited by Moderator37; 04-12-2019 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: remove name/company of recruiter