Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-09-2019, 08:04 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshChicago View Post
Should flip the question to "is it possible to have a good career WITH finishing the exams?"

A credential puts a ceiling on you lots of places - too many stereotypes keep actuaries out of the c-suite.
I think you are confusing cause and effect. I think enough credentialed actuaries have traits that lead to those stereotypes that it is less common for them to rise to the top. But i think a credentialed actuary who has CEO potential without exams advances his odds with the exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
[emoji38]. Fixed.
oh, so emoji 38 is a laughing face? I'd wondered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedpianoman View Post
ifyp
Old 01-09-2019, 08:51 AM
SOA

Studying for FSA Module & Exam
Favorite beer: Summer Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
I figured almost all SOA candidates would have their FAP requirements fulfilled by the end of college.
I think you are confusing FAP with VEE. Most candidates have VEE requirements fulfilled with college credit. As someone else mentioned, FAP costs a lot without having to retake any parts or get an extension. Most college students don't have that extra money. FAP is normally one of the last requirements one finishes before becoming an ASA.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:11 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley7491 View Post
I think you are confusing FAP with VEE. Most candidates have VEE requirements fulfilled with college credit. As someone else mentioned, FAP costs a lot without having to retake any parts or get an extension. Most college students don't have that extra money. FAP is normally one of the last requirements one finishes before becoming an ASA.
Sorry, was trying to make a crude joke in response to Marcie's snarky comment.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:05 PM
CAS

Studying for Mo' Money
Favorite beer: Red Oak

I would agree that I haven't seen many senior-level actuaries that aren't credentialed, I do think that's the exception and not the rule. There was one actuarial VP at my last job that wasn't credentialed and had a really good reputation, but that has been the only exception in the actuarial departments I've seen in 3 mid-to-large size firms.

All of my direct managers (7 in total) have been credentialed. With them it's been a mixed bag though - some of them had great technical and soft skills, others were good number-crunchers but didn't have much in the way of soft skills, some were lifers who weren't above-average in their work but got by through good networking internally, and one was very poor on the job and survived by throwing subordinates under the bus.

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani Sitake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshChicago View Post
Should flip the question to "is it possible to have a good career WITH finishing the exams?"

A credential puts a ceiling on you lots of places - too many stereotypes keep actuaries out of the c-suite.
I'd be interested in what you've seen to prompt this statement.
Still interested. Loads of folks have called your statement crap. I'm still willing to hear your own evidence that the credential itself is a stigma.