Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:11 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB89 View Post
Wait nvm, I think the book you linked to is the good one, CS. I vaguely recall the one I linked to being a set of ridiculously hard exams that felt more like a bunch of problems way harder than what was on the test.
too bad they're so ugly

Would totally not have that on my bookshelf purely for aesthetic reasons. It goes in the drawer underneath my desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Non-Actuary

You can throw it out after you're done with the test.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:16 PM
CAS

Quote:
You can throw it out after you're done with the test.
yeah, my bookshelf only has leather bound books you know

my cube is filled with the scent of rich mahogany

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:20 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Dear Col S,

I too fantasize about getting into a PhD program. I'd have trouble getting academic reference letters, though. Nobody remembers me probably.

My local state U has a pretty low-stress program but if I move or something... yea. And night course availability is an issue.

What am I going to do after FSA?

inb4 MBA
Old 02-06-2014, 01:22 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domingo Montoya View Post
Sounds like a good deal. How many classes are you able to realistically take and survive at work (and exams).
I'm not sure about the exams as I'm studying for my first right now.

However, I did my masters degree in 15 months. I was taking 3-4 Graduate level Aerospace Controls/AMATH courses (not having studied Aero/Astro in undergrad), teaching/grading ~ 30 hours a week, trying to maintain my relationship with my wife, and have something of a personal life (kayaking/paddle boarding on the weekends when it was nice enough & hiking). Most times the having a life suffered because I'd run out of time and just end up at a pub in town instead.

I'd say it mostly depends on the class and your exposure to the material before, but I'd say you could probably get 2 courses a term done while working 40/wk. You'd have to study for exams here and there, so your progress would probably slow down.

Again, it depends on your personal time management skills and level of experience with course material.

One of my AMATH classes was a MATLAB programming class where the entire grade was based on submitting code online and if it ran & gave the answer fast enough you'd get 100% otherwise 0% (5 tries per submission). On the other hand the hardest course I took I regret taking it with any other courses because it was such a pain (20 pages of homework per wk minimum). It's often a crap-shoot, if I were taking them online I'd sign up for more courses than I planned on taking and see what a week was like and keep the ones that I could manage/were most interesting.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherCareerChanger View Post
Are you wanting to go PhD or MS?

If you're thinking Applied Math MS, University of Washington offers one that is purely online. Their distance education setup is pretty darn good too. I know because they'll let you watch all the lectures as an on campus student.

Pros of distance:
- Don't have to move & can keep current job
- Can watch morning lectures in the afternoon/evening
- Most professors hold online skype/google chat office hours for the distance people, if you like those sorts of things

Cons of distance:
- Testing requires you set up a proctor with the Distance Learning People
- Turning in assignments can be a pain depending on the professor
- No TA to offset the tuition/fees

It's a top 20 school in applied math. As far as the degree itself they have business tracks, scientific computing tracks, and bio-math tracks. fwiw.

They also have a top 10 CS school that you can take a few classes from to satisfy MS requirements for AMATH without trying to get in to the computer science program.
Colonel Smoothie isn't looking to get a noob degree.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
But not sure why you'd take the Math GRE if not doing a math program. If you're doing CS, not sure if you'd really like doing a PhD or Master's in CS or if you just like being a programming nerd.
Colonel Smoothie was a math major in undergrad from a non-target school. The large majority, if not all, of the computer science PhD candidates at UIUC are math monsters. They were better in math in high school than most actuarial entry levels were graduating college.

Also, a lot of the computer science PhDs will have math major undergraduate degrees. PhD computer science can be very mathematical, and showing the admissions committee that Colonel Smoothie is an elite candidate will help him gain entrance. Any noob can show up with a 4.0 GPA from a non-target school. A lot of noobs can even bink the regular GRE math section. Zero noobs can crush the math gre subject test.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:33 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
Colonel Smoothie isn't looking to get a noob degree.
To each their own.

Imo, you're getting the exact same education as anyone else getting an MS in Applied Math from UW. They literally film the lectures with live crews and you can stream them from anywhere you've got internet (or download them if you want). I had classes I did online because I had to teach during them, and they were no different than the ones I went to live (Other than I had to wear pants and couldn't watch a movie while in lecture)
Old 02-06-2014, 01:35 PM
CAS

so like, is it possible that a top tier CS program doesn't consider its own undergrad CS body as a target school?

asking, for a friend

Quote:
Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

$32,000?!? *dies*

Just kidding bachelor's is fine