Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 11-03-2014, 09:01 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I agree with clarinetist that lacking an MS (or more) specifically in statistics makes it more difficult.

Honestly though, when I look at what many statisticians do, their work sounds pretty boring. I'm not sorry I didn't end up there.
I've seen a few cases, and I'm sure there are many more, where statisticians have opportunities to work on something that's truly meaningful to them; such as cancer research, genetic statistics, or wildlife endangerment, and I imagine an overwhelming majority of actuaries do not feel the same way.

Then again, it might be one of those adverse selection things that Ke$ha loves to talk about where people become actuaries because they are passionless drones who need donkey chow for sustenance.

Last edited by AbedNadir; 11-03-2014 at 09:05 AM..
Old 11-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

I agree on the notion that a M.S. is usually a requirement for most statistician positions. However to back up CS, I do believe that this can be overcome but I don't believe it is necessarily the norm.

As for the main difference between the roles, my opinion is that the technical skill set is much higher on the statistician/data side. On average, a much wider knowledge of programming/computers/databases needed for the data jobs and a much wider knowledge of math/statistics needed for the statistics side.

-Riley
Old 11-03-2014, 09:47 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

For a typical school to employment path, statisticians currently, and prior to "big data", enter the workforce after earning their Master's degree.

As to the "requirement", every professional position I held prior to getting into the insurance industry required a Master's degree, and I don't have one. However, no one who has worked with me IRL has ever accused me of being typical.
“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 11-03-2014, 10:51 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Alpha King

SOA is coming up with a specialty track in Big Data. So why go another route when you can go into actuarial, take exams, but then use your big data skills in any industry out there as a leading candidate.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:57 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post
SOA is coming up with a specialty track in Big Data. So why go another route when you can go into actuarial, take exams, but then use your big data skills in any industry out there as a leading candidate.
Not sure if serious.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
Not sure if serious.
I sure hope (s)he's not serious.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: C
Old 11-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
"Who knows how big data will impact the world of business? We do."
Old 11-03-2014, 11:12 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

"Uniquely qualified" FTW

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: C
Old 11-03-2014, 11:14 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

A lot of coders are getting into big data, but they're just creating tools for analysts to use. If you have a CS degree, you can just mess around with Big Data tech in your spare time and get a big data job at a startup. That's not data science though, and if you've invested your undergrad time in an Act Sci degree and exams, you don't have the software engineering skills to get these jobs.

I would think bona fide data science it's not a field you can just teach yourself in your spare time. If you actually want a career in the field, you're going to have to get experience, and that's more than just knowledge of the tools. That means being in an academic setting, which is essentially a vehicle for you to run wild and mess around with different problems. A company isn't going to hire you and let you run wild on their dime while you learn stuff when there are hundreds of MSci and PhDs who've already done that.

Quote:
SOA is coming up with a specialty track in Big Data. So why go another route when you can go into actuarial, take exams, but then use your big data skills in any the insurance industry out there as a leading one of the multitude of candidates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary

Tags
data cuckold, data envy