Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
do they?
The explanation was definitely weak, basically saying that some actuaries sometimes use slightly larger than medium-sized data. But they sure do love them some overstatements when they're going for IMPACT.

Maybe they're actually planning on rolling out an FSA-Marketing track so they can corner the credential market for making ridiculous claims in flashy brochures.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:23 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
I've seen a few cases, and I'm sure there are many more, where statisticians have opportunities to work on something that's truly meaningful to them; such as cancer research, genetic statistics, or wildlife endangerment, and I imagine an overwhelming majority of actuaries do not feel the same way.

Then again, it might be one of those adverse selection things that Ke$ha loves to talk about where people become actuaries because they are passionless drones who need donkey chow for sustenance.
I thought the biggest consumer of big data are marketing companies now, which is hardly meaningful work. Do I just have a skewed perspective being in NYC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 11-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral Omen View Post
I would think bona fide data science it's not a field you can just teach yourself in your spare time. If you actually want a career in the field, you're going to have to get experience, and that's more than just knowledge of the tools. That means being in an academic setting, which is essentially a vehicle for you to run wild and mess around with different problems. A company isn't going to hire you and let you run wild on their dime while you learn stuff when there are hundreds of MSci and PhDs who've already done that.
There are probably very few people with an M.S. in Data Science. I'm not aware of any PhD tracks. There are a slew of classes you can access online about the subject as well as plenty of places to get your hands dirty, such as Kaggle. There are also some certification exams that can be taken through Cloudera, which seems to be a leader in this type of thing.

-Riley
Old 11-03-2014, 11:53 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
There are probably very few people with an M.S. in Data Science. I'm not aware of any PhD tracks. There are a slew of classes you can access online about the subject as well as plenty of places to get your hands dirty, such as Kaggle. There are also some certification exams that can be taken through Cloudera, which seems to be a leader in this type of thing.

-Riley

Yeah data science seems like a trap degree, mostly created to capitalize on the fad. I think it's better to get a Math or CS masters degree. If you're doing Math you better be doing your fair share of programming and if you're doing CS you better be doing your fair share of math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:54 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
I thought the biggest consumer of big data are marketing companies now, which is hardly meaningful work. Do I just have a skewed perspective being in NYC?
I was just referring to statisticians since I know next to nothing about big data
Old 11-03-2014, 11:55 AM
CAS

Big Data would be more aptly described as a fad than a bubble. It's not like crazy stock valuations are being driven by big data nor are people putting their life savings or taking out huge loans in the name of big data. I don't think any recessions will be caused because people wanted too much big data.

I think what'll happen is that companies will overhire statisticians and once they find out they're not getting the results promised by big data marketing they'll need to lay some off. This will be a slight blip in the news and the only people who will really be hurting are the statisticians.

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
I was just referring to statisticians since I know next to nothing about big data

If you are an actuary, then you know how Big Data will impact the world of business. Didn't you get the memo?
Old 11-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Yeah data science seems like a trap degree, mostly created to capitalize on the fad. I think it's better to get a Math or CS masters degree. If you're doing Math you better be doing your fair share of programming and if you're doing CS you better be doing your fair share of math.
Big Data positions feel much closer to CS than Math at least from what I've been seeing in the courses and books.

-Riley
Old 11-03-2014, 12:25 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Kwak

Quote:
Big Data would be more aptly described as a fad than a bubble. It's not like crazy stock valuations are being driven by big data nor are people putting their life savings or taking out huge loans in the name of big data. I don't think any recessions will be caused because people wanted too much big data.

I think what'll happen is that companies will overhire statisticians and once they find out they're not getting the results promised by big data marketing they'll need to lay some off. This will be a slight blip in the news and the only people who will really be hurting are the statisticians.
My naive understanding is the statisticians in "Big Data" try to find patterns in data using the same set of statistical tools and without much theory tailored to the specific problem. "Let's throw a lot of data at a problem and see what happens". For example, if we didn't know newtonian mechanics, big data scientists would measure a bunch of ball trajectories, put the resulting data through a computer, and report the resulting models. They would then proceed on to the next problem, maybe medical billing. But they wouldn't unify their results into a separate field like Physics and dedicate their time to studying the models within that field.

It works in fields like Advertising and Billing, where nobody will bother academically studying models. But Act Sci has a set of models we've identified, so it's not a data science field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
you are a visionary
Old 11-03-2014, 12:26 PM
CAS

Quote:
My naive understanding is the statisticians in "Big Data" try to find patterns in data using the same set of statistical tools and without much theory tailored to the specific problem. "Let's throw a lot of data at a problem and see what happens". For example, if we didn't know newtonian mechanics, big data scientists would measure a bunch of ball trajectories, put the resulting data through a computer, and report the resulting models. They would then proceed on to the next problem, maybe medical billing. But they wouldn't unify their results into a separate field like Physics and dedicate their time to studying the models within that field.

It works in fields like Advertising and Billing, where nobody will bother academically studying models. But Act Sci has a set of models we've identified, so it's not a data science field.
that doesn't sound very scientific

Quote:

Tags
data cuckold, data envy