Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-31-2017, 11:14 AM
Patience's Avatar
Patience Patience is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: a kinder, gentler place
Favorite beer: Scotch
Posts: 48,713
Default

I have been getting a lot of LinkedIn requests for headhunters, found it interesting that the one I got today had "analyst" in his title.

Needed to double check if he really was a headhunter. I wonder if this is a new approach
__________________
"I've been through the desert on a horse with no name...
In the desert you can remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-31-2017, 11:26 AM
Hartke Hartke is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,416
Default

I had an internal recruiter from one of our competitors reach out to me via LinkedIn a few years back. Her description of the opening was vague, but I kinda knew it was for low level pension analyst (yuck). I responded with a 'thanks but im looking for XYZ. Feel free to reach out with such openings'.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-31-2017, 11:38 AM
NormalDan's Avatar
NormalDan NormalDan is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,316
Default

I had a bunch of trouble with the internal recruiter for my own company when I was interviewing for positions to rotate into. I didn't start in actuarial (2.5 years in data analysis for a marketing company before switching over) so I'm a little more experienced than my 2 years (at the time) of actuarial experience implied, although the internal guy repeatedly told me any non-actuarial experience is worth 0. Ended up telling me to not apply for one role (which I now work in) because I wasn't experienced enough and to instead apply for another, entry level, role for which I was a good fit.

I ended up rotating into the one role because I knew a guy in the unit and he recommended me and interviewing for the role the recruiter recommended and not proceeding because the hiring manager said I was too senior...

I think this guy has a pretty bad reputation internally though.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-31-2017, 12:06 PM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 37,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I have been getting a lot of LinkedIn requests for headhunters, found it interesting that the one I got today had "analyst" in his title.

Needed to double check if he really was a headhunter. I wonder if this is a new approach
Well, it occurs to me that there aren't any exams out there to prepare headhunters for their work.
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-31-2017, 12:42 PM
NormalDan's Avatar
NormalDan NormalDan is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Well, it occurs to me that there aren't any exams out there to prepare headhunters for their work.
Careful, the SOA has ears everywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-31-2017, 12:57 PM
Locrian Locrian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,785
Default

One thing I learned quickly was to not provide information that made me uncomfortable. I got more than a few calls that I realized later were really just scoping my department out.

For first time conversations, the rules I would follow:
  • Do not tell them anything that wasn't on my resume.
  • Do not give them names of anyone I knew at work or otherwise.
  • Be friendly, and be willing to say goodbye and hang up at any time, for any reason.
  • Try to maintain a reasonable them/me question ratio (it should be more than one, but maybe not that much more).
Towards the end of my time working as an actuary, if I really felt petulant, I'd just ask them to tell me what the first three questions they were going to ask me were. If none of them showed any sign they gave a hoot about me (such as "where do you see your career", "where do you want to work" etc.), I'd say I'm not interested, goodbye and hang up.
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-31-2017, 01:00 PM
Locrian Locrian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,785
Default

The second recruiter call I ever had I fell for the dumbest trick in the book.

Me: I primarily work on X and Y.
Them: Oh well you must work for John Smith then!
Me: Noooo I work for Jane Doe. . . . Wait, who's John Smith??

I wish that was the last time in my life I was ****in dumb.
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-31-2017, 01:18 PM
Westley Westley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 28,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
One thing I learned quickly was to not provide information that made me uncomfortable. I got more than a few calls that I realized later were really just scoping my department out.

For first time conversations, the rules I would follow:
  • Do not tell them anything that wasn't on my resume.
  • Do not give them names of anyone I knew at work or otherwise.
  • Be friendly, and be willing to say goodbye and hang up at any time, for any reason.
  • Try to maintain a reasonable them/me question ratio (it should be more than one, but maybe not that much more).
Towards the end of my time working as an actuary, if I really felt petulant, I'd just ask them to tell me what the first three questions they were going to ask me were. If none of them showed any sign they gave a hoot about me (such as "where do you see your career", "where do you want to work" etc.), I'd say I'm not interested, goodbye and hang up.
Pretty good advice here. Definitely think the ratio is relevant - if it's just them asking you for info and telling you what you should do, then (click)

And def agree on your third bullet. This was in one of my other threads - the recruiting one I think but could be in the interviewing one. If they keep asking your current salary or your salary expectations, and you don't want to answer, just say "Look, there's lots of recruiters out there and lots of people to recruit - doesn't seem like this is a good fit but good luck to you" (click).
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-31-2017, 06:21 PM
Niccalis Niccalis is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
The second recruiter call I ever had I fell for the dumbest trick in the book.

Me: I primarily work on X and Y.
Them: Oh well you must work for John Smith then!
Me: Noooo I work for Jane Doe. . . . Wait, who's John Smith??

I wish that was the last time in my life I was ****in dumb.
Maybe a naive question, but what was wrong with mentioning you work for Jane Doe?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-31-2017, 06:31 PM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 37,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccalis View Post
Maybe a naive question, but what was wrong with mentioning you work for Jane Doe?
The recruiter was looking for names o co-workers, and he gave one unintentionally. If the recruiter calls Jane Doe, and says "I got your name from Locrian," that's certainly not what Locrian wants the boss to hear.

And recruiters who don't know how to use the Actuarial Directory don't deserve any help from you. Actually they need to get into some other speciality.
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.41500 seconds with 9 queries