Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-15-2017, 07:07 AM
AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
Recruiter sent me a very personal email for a position the other day.

Suppose (for the sake of example) I work for "Liberty Mutual".

Greeting was "Hello, Liberty - "

Important to note that my first name is not Liberty. Will have to follow up to learn more about this exciting opportunity. And others.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
Recruiter sent me a very personal email for a position the other day.

Suppose (for the sake of example) I work for "Liberty Mutual".

Greeting was "Hello, Liberty - "

Important to note that my first name is not Liberty. Will have to follow up to learn more about this exciting opportunity. And others.
Well, they sent the email to the entire company.

It reads differently when you hear it like a broadcast over a PA system.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
I got an ad in the mail for an insurance textbook. The pitch was addressed to "Ms. Mary Maineiac, FSA, MAAA". The salutation was "Dear Ms. Maaa:"
This made my day
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:57 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

(No salutation)

Good afternoon. I am a recruiter for Lazyass Recruiters. I saw your resume today (its very possible we have had contact in the past (but I couldn't be bothered to look it up)) and would like to know if you are open to looking at a long-term/remote Actuary role for a very good client of ours (even though the background and technical skills required for this position have no resemblance to anything on your resume that I saw today and, perhaps, previously).

(I really put a lot of effort into this. I hope that I can collect a commission.)

Last edited by 1695814; 11-05-2017 at 12:36 PM..
Old 11-04-2017, 04:35 PM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo

Day 1 - "Hi XXX, I知 reaching out from YYY to discuss a new position I am working on. It is a position that I think you値l be very interested in hearing about. Please give me a call back to discuss the role in further detail at blahblahblah." My response was (in summary) "No thanks, not looking currently, thanks for reaching out though and would like to stay connected."

Day 3 - "Hi XXX, I知 reaching out from YYY to discuss a new position I am working on. It is a position that I think you値l be very interested in hearing about. Please give me a call back to discuss the role in further detail at blahblahblah." Me: "..."

Day 1 Next Week - "Hi XXX, I知 reaching out from YYY to discuss a new position I am working on. It is a position that I think you値l be very interested in hearing about. Please give me a call back to discuss the role in further detail at blahblahblah." Me: "Off to the blacklist you go."

Old 11-05-2017, 11:53 AM
CAS

College: ITT Tech

- i had a recruiter message me in linkedin, which i ignored because it was not actuarial and the message sounded very boilerplate
- then she emailed my work email, which i ignored
- then she called my work phone, which i ignored

- she called AGAIN the next day, which i picked up:
+ she first asked me how i'm doing at my current position, am i happy with my career path, and if i was looking for opportunities. "no, i'm happy where i am" (this is all while my coworkers around me are listening)
+ then went on a spiel about this one position she had. "i am an actuary and i'm only interested in actuarial positions"
+ then she started asking if i knew anyone would would be interested in the position. "no"
+ then asked if i found anyone who might be if i would give her reference "ok maybe"
+ then gave me all her contact info which i didn't write down
Old 11-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
- i had a recruiter message me in linkedin, which i ignored because it was not actuarial and the message sounded very boilerplate
- then she emailed my work email, which i ignored
- then she called my work phone, which i ignored

- she called AGAIN the next day, which i picked up:
+ she first asked me how i'm doing at my current position, am i happy with my career path, and if i was looking for opportunities. "no, i'm happy where i am" (this is all while my coworkers around me are listening)
+ then went on a spiel about this one position she had. "i am an actuary and i'm only interested in actuarial positions"
+ then she started asking if i knew anyone would would be interested in the position. "no"
+ then asked if i found anyone who might be if i would give her reference "ok maybe"
+ then gave me all her contact info which i didn't write down
Thanks for "the referral"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

I've gotten two in-mails thru LinkedIn from a recruiter at a well-known life company in Nebraska (one guess which one). The first one was a few weeks ago, and I ignored it, because, my profile clearly says I'm a P&C actuary.

Got another message (actually, same word-for-word as the first one) last week. Could not ignore it. This guy is representing a company, badly. My response was something along the lines of - "hey, you work for a life company, and I'm a p&c actuary. Perhaps it's in your best interest to learn something about the positions you're recruiting for"
- I was nicer than that, but the point was, you're an idiot, go away.

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...0&postcount=10 So does Westley!
Old 11-06-2017, 10:18 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Mo View Post
I've gotten two in-mails thru LinkedIn from a recruiter at a well-known life company in Nebraska (one guess which one). The first one was a few weeks ago, and I ignored it, because, my profile clearly says I'm a P&C actuary.

Got another message (actually, same word-for-word as the first one) last week. Could not ignore it. This guy is representing a company, badly. My response was something along the lines of - "hey, you work for a life company, and I'm a p&c actuary. Perhaps it's in your best interest to learn something about the positions you're recruiting for"
- I was nicer than that, but the point was, you're an idiot, go away.
any reply?
Old 11-06-2017, 10:43 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I got emailed by a recruiter on Saturday and when I didn't respond by Sunday he got mad and said it was rude for me not to reply.

Duuuude it's the weekend. Go have a barbecue or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.