Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-05-2018, 04:44 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

James Woods's greatest movie, Billion Dollar Bubble, inspired me to take on the challenge of starting an even bigger scandal than he did but doing a better job of covering it up instead of blowing up in his face like it did in the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:05 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Mo View Post
the first appearance of "Actuary" in the Jobs Rated Almanac, I believe was in 1988.
I graduated college a few years after that.

I think, if you majored in math or stats, "actuary" was one of those things you could do with such a degree. this was before so many schools had actuarial programs.
I got my first actuarial gig a couple of years before that.

My dad introduced me to his squash buddy, the actuary. "I have no idea what he does, but he seems to have a lot of time to play squash".

I took a competitive math exam in high school sponsored by Prudential Life. The prize was an expensive calculator, a fancy dinner with the other kids in the top 20(ish), and a brochure urging me to consider being an actuary.

But I actually got into the field because I was unemployed and wondering what I wanted to do with my life, and my husband met a guy at a bridge tournament whose company was hiring, and who wanted the bonus for recruiting me.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:09 PM

My buddy got a job as an actuary. He told me what he made and I thought that might be better than delivering pizzas. I think it was.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:17 PM
SOA AAA

I heard about it in grad school. When I got tired of my dead-end IT job, I found an actuarial recruiter, and pivoted to the insurance industry, looking for better pay and co-workers who weren't complete nobs. I was only off by one.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens
Old 11-05-2018, 05:19 PM

Local insurance company had a ten-week program for all the local high schools, where the math dept was asked to send their best student to learn about actuaries, engineers, computer coding, etc.

Assuming I hadn't learned about it that way, and ignoring the comments above about jobs rated almanac, if you were a math major that didn't know what you wanted to do, you'd go to your advisor and ask what you should do, and they'd suggest academia if you were smart enough. If you weren't (for example, me), or you weren't interested in academia (also me), they would say "Have you heard of actuaries? Me neither, but I have a brochure under my desk somewhere if you want to look at it with me". <---May sound tongue-in-cheek, but roughly true.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:23 PM
CAS

your school did better job advising than mine. I was advised that if I didn't want to go the PhD route, I could go into investment banking, or, if I didn't want to do that (I didn't) I could always pick up a law degree, because you can always use a law degree.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:32 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
I heard about it in grad school. When I got tired of my dead-end IT job, I found an actuarial recruiter, and pivoted to the insurance industry, looking for better pay and co-workers who weren't complete nobs. I was only off by one.
I heard about it in undergrad, my stats professor asked me if I'd ever thought about becoming an actuary. Having never heard of an actuary, I had not thought to become one. He basically told me I could walk into any insurance company and get a high-paying, low-stress job on the spot.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:34 PM
CAS

i saw an alphabetized listing of professions for people who were good at math when i was in high school (1970's). accounting was a hard pass for me and i didn't know what an actuary was. then i got drunk and stayed drunk for a few years. then some years after that, i decided to look into this actuary thing (~1990). it wasn't until i was taking my first act sci class that i heard about these #1 job stories
Old 11-05-2018, 07:25 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
James Woods's greatest movie, Billion Dollar Bubble, inspired me to take on the challenge of starting an even bigger scandal than he did but doing a better job of covering it up instead of blowing up in his face like it did in the movie.
I, too, decided to pursue a career in the actuarial profession after seeing the same movie at the CAS Course on Professionalism.
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:28 PM

2 of my math college professors were going through exams. Convinced me to go that route vs accounting. Still got my accounting degree, however added the right math classes.
Nothing gay about mirin' another bro's gains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Want to become aware of my fist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddSox View Post
this might be my favorite thread on the AO