Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-05-2018, 09:09 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximally Qualified View Post
I, too, decided to pursue a career in the actuarial profession after seeing the same movie at the CAS Course on Professionalism.
lol my manager said that when they played The Big Short at the FSA, she didn't even want her fsa anymore.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

I heard about it at my undergrad institution. Some of the profs told me about the actuarial-related courses they taught (I used to hang out with the math profs), and though I never took those courses, I remembered about the profession in 2002, when I was casting about for a new profession. I looked up the exams online, and signed up for a couple.

It was not a great time to be seeking a job in Manhattan, and actuarial wasn't the only thing I applied to.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 11-05-2018, 10:35 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for ACA
College: Graduate of hard knocks
Favorite beer: Cold Smoke

Not sure what you mean about graduating in 2000. I graduated high school in 2001, had no clue about actuarial work until I interviewed at an insurance company after getting my graduate degree in math. Wasn’t really mentioned in my math program at a heavy engineering school.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:39 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: An icy cold one in a glass bottle

I heard about the profession in the mid-'70s. I was in 8th grade and it was one of those typical "what do you want to do when you grow up" things. Actuaries showed up high on the list back then. That list was "glorifying the high demand, high salaries" back then.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
your school did better job advising than mine. I was advised that if I didn't want to go the PhD route, I could go into investment banking, or, if I didn't want to do that (I didn't) I could always pick up a law degree, because you can always use a law degree.
This probably says more about our schools than advisors. IB from a middle-tier-or-slightly-better state school isn't all that realistic, so it was never mentioned. I did have a number of people (not my advisors) suggest a law degree for that same reason lol - I don't think people suggest that any more, or at least it seems less common.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:22 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

No one ever suggested law school to me.

hmmm

LinkedIn Profile
Old 11-06-2018, 01:34 AM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Ugrad had some profs who pushed it. I deferred and went to grad school. grad school had an act sci program, and I had a colleague or two who were on the patht o being actuaries, but I switched in when an alum came and spoke at the time I was finishing my research and looking for work. she made it sound interesting and I applied.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:19 AM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneGirl View Post
U.S. News and World Report magazine was naming Actuary the #1 profession back in the 90s (yes, we had magazines back in the 90s!). My dad (a math teacher) saw the magazine at the grocery store, brought it home, and said "hey, here's a good career for people who like math. You should do this."
I should add that I initially resisted because I didn't want to just do what my parents said. Then I took one of those career aptitude tests during my junior year of high school and it said "you should be an actuary or an accountant".
Old 11-06-2018, 10:31 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
This probably says more about our schools than advisors. IB from a middle-tier-or-slightly-better state school isn't all that realistic, so it was never mentioned. I did have a number of people (not my advisors) suggest a law degree for that same reason lol - I don't think people suggest that any more, or at least it seems less common.
The clueless part wasn't the IB suggestion -- that was completely realistic, and there were lots of companies on campus recruiting. For reasons that still seem good to me, I didn't want to do that. The clueless part was the "get a law degree".

So maybe your advisors weren't any better than mine.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:45 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneGirl View Post
I should add that I initially resisted because I didn't want to just do what my parents said. Then I took one of those career aptitude tests during my junior year of high school and it said "you should be an actuary or an accountant".
oh yeah, i took one of those aptitude test too with similar results. had forgotten about that