Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 11-06-2018, 10:54 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
oh yeah, i took one of those aptitude test too with similar results. had forgotten about that
Question 60: I prefer the smell of

A) Gasoline
B) French fries
C) Bank customers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:02 AM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Question 60: I prefer the smell of

A) Gasoline
B) French fries
C) Bank customers
I was a little leery of mine because after telling me to be an actuary it also said "however, you clearly do not like school or studying, so perhaps a career that doesn't require a degree is better suited for you". I don't know how it got that; I was a straight A student nerd who LOVED studying.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:23 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICENSED TO ILL View Post
2 of my math college professors were going through exams. Convinced me to go that route vs accounting. Still got my accounting degree, however added the right math classes.
Did they finish their exams?
Old 11-06-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnLevel View Post
Did they finish their exams?
One did get FSA, however he's not in the directory as of today. I know he retired from the college.
The other at least got her ASA (again, I cannot find her via the actu directory however).
Nothing gay about mirin' another bro's gains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Want to become aware of my fist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddSox View Post
this might be my favorite thread on the AO
Old 11-08-2018, 09:35 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I saw it on a rock carving in my cave one day.
I might have been the one to carve it

I was a true math geek. Someone spoke to my HS class about actuarial and if I wasn't going to be the official statistician for the Mets, I felt that was a good fall back
Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Colorectal Exam
College: SUNY Alumni
Favorite beer: #1 - Free; #2 - Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I took a competitive math exam in high school sponsored by Prudential Life. The prize was an expensive calculator, a fancy dinner with the other kids in the top 20(ish), and a brochure urging me to consider being an actuary.
We also had a competitive exam in HS (early 70's) which I believe had multiple sponsors, including the SOA. There was a big snowstorm the morning of the test and I wound up getting in too late to take it. I didn't think much of it but I remember my math teacher was disappointed because she thought I would probably have won.

It didn't come up again until my senior year when I found out that a few of the other math majors were taking the first exam, which was basically calculus. I signed up for it but didn't study because it was right around the time of finals, and I had been tutoring calculus for a couple of years. I passed pretty easily with an 8.

I went to NYC that summer (late 70's) to visit friends. Back in those days, they had things called "newspapers" which contained things called "want ads" which is where you had to go to find job listings. I bought the Sunday NYT and found something like four or five pages of ads for actuaries, mostly EL.

I chose a few more or less randomly and called on Monday to set up interviews on Tuesday and Wednesday. Some of them turned out to be recruiters, but I did get to meet directly with a couple of insurance companies and a couple of consulting firms. One of the insurance companies actually turned me down because they were looking for people with two exams, but the others made offers, one of which I accepted.
Whew!!~ I can finally stop this continuous drawer-shitting that I've been doing for the past week or so.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:14 AM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
How did you hear about the actuarial industry?
I graduated HS in 1997, I assume that's what you mean... In my 4th year of university (double major in Stats and Comp Sci), the dean of the math department came into one of my classes and talked about Actuarial Science, gauging interest because the school was considering whether to start an Actuarial program. My first thought was "where were you 4 years ago, jerk? that sounds right up my alley"

Then when I didn't get hired after graduating, thanks to the tech bubble popping and flooding the market with EL job candidates, I moved cities, went back to school and earned another B Sc in Act Sci. In hindsight, I could/should have just gone straight into the exams while working whatever job I could find, but another couple years at college were pretty appealing and it all worked out.

Last edited by Turd Ferguson; 11-08-2018 at 10:18 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 02:50 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
How did you hear about the actuarial industry? I assume there weren't the same articles glorifying low unemployment rate, high salaries, and low stress environments back then. How you hear about this profession and what convinced you to pursue it?
Not a good assumption imo.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 12-27-2018, 07:59 PM

My high school had a careers magazine. I read about food chemistry and actuaries. I did really well in high school chem and not so great in calculus, but I chose a college which had both majors. Flunked chem but got A's in all my math classes, so switching majors was a no-brainer. If I hadn't failed organic chemistry, I probably would have stuck with it and been miserable working in a lab somewhere.

Pre-internet, it was certainly interesting finding out exam scores. You had to wait for the mail or try to read a paper with pass numbers that had been faxed a 100 times. Is that an 8 or a 5? Then technology advanced and you could call to find out if you passed.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:20 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by working girl View Post
Pre-internet, it was certainly interesting finding out exam scores. You had to wait for the mail or try to read a paper with pass numbers that had been faxed a 100 times. Is that an 8 or a 5? Then technology advanced and you could call to find out if you passed.
This wasn't pre-internet, but I got one exam score through the mail - my first exam, on which I got a 1. I can still hear my wife's voice on the phone as she told me "Well, you didn't get a 0."