Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of one-way video interviews?
Yay 2 3.70%
Nay 51 94.44%
42 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2018, 10:24 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Default One-way video interviews

Someone at work suggested that I use some software to conduct one-way video interviews. I politely declined since we were already deep into the recruiting cycle and watching a whole bunch of videos would just add to the work (you still have to do phone screens afterwards so you can interact with the applicants). I preferred to just call up candidates directly.

Anyways what these things are is that the candidates download an app, and then they record themselves answering a predefined set of questions. These are then sent to the interviewer who can watch the videos at their own discretion, and then decide what to do next with the candidate. This is becoming more popular at large firms.

It's not really my cup of tea, since I'd rather interact with the candidates. Then again, I'm wondering who is making the decisions adopting this practice. I'm thinking that pretty much anyone suggesting to use one-way videos has never had to go through this process themselves, especially as an entry-level. Most people I encounter on the receiving end of this process have a negative impression of them. Furthermore, I don't ask the same set of questions to applicants when I do interviews. I know that doesn't sound fair, but each candidate is different. My intent is to hire the best candidate I can and then tailor the work to suit their strengths rather than try to find a candidate who happens to fit narrowly-defined job description.

What are your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:36 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Sounds annoying for the person having to record the videos. I wouldn't want to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:39 AM

We've discussed before, and I'm generally opposed, but I do see why companies like them. In particular, they have a relatively powerful mechanism for avoiding litigation. You don't ask the same set of questions because each candidate is different - but how do you know that this isn't a subconscious (or conscious I guess) route for you to feed your discriminatory biases? Or, more to the point from a corporate viewpoint, how do you prove that in court even if you know it to be true?

Awful experience for the candidate tho. I'm reminded of my friend that does recruiting, and part of his sales pitch is that he does a set of psych evaluations to see if people are a fit. One of his fast-talking, hyper-aggressive PE clients heard that and said "Yeah, that's great, anybody that's willing to put up with BS like that isn't a fit and you can just skip them".
Old 11-29-2018, 10:50 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
You don't ask the same set of questions because each candidate is different - but how do you know that this isn't a subconscious (or conscious I guess) route for you to feed your discriminatory biases?
I wouldn't ask a candidate who wants to do sales programming questions and I wouldn't ask a potential programmer a bunch of soft skill questions.

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:53 AM
CAS

I guess that's kind of extreme since the job does require programming, but there are different kinds of programmers, so if a candidate wants to focus on database administration I focus the questions to go deep in that area (as opposed to statistical programming).

Quote:
Old 11-29-2018, 12:59 PM
CAS

College: ITT Tech

I did one and didn't mind it. It was for an entry level position so the questions were generic and I had prepared good responses in my notes that I could quickly look over in the 2 minutes they give you to prepare before the video starts recording. This was the 1st step in the process so it was HR reviewing the videos. I also wasn't wearing pants during my recordings.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:05 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Can they do this with their phone, or does it have to be a webcam?
Old 11-29-2018, 01:36 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

From someone that did a couple of these half a year ago they're awful for the candidate. The biggest issue for me was that the ones I did had a large amount of attempts per question, so the best strategy was to come up with the best canned response and recite it until it comes out the best way I think it can. You're not going to get much out of a question that involves critical thinking since people can think about it for hours, ask friends, etc..

As the candidate I preferred phone interviews a lot more. I can tell if I nailed a phone interview, but having to sit and wait for a response felt pretty bad. I thought I did equally well on two different one-way interviews but one response was an offer to onsite twelve hours after and another was an automated response 90 days after. You can probably get away with doing this due to the supply of ELs but given two equal opportunities I'll take the offer that didn't put me through a one sided interview.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:28 PM
SOA

I haven't done it for an actuary yet but the last two non-actuaries I hired went through this. It was fairly useful I thought. Better than an HR screen where you're getting information through an uninformed filter and better than trying to actually schedule phone screens with umpteen people. It enables you to narrow the field.

Some advice if you're ever asked for one:
1. Think about what's behind you. I several with an unmade bed or dirty room behind the applicant.
2. Dress for an interview. Literally half were done in bed with the laptop in their pajamas. I was surprised.
3. Use the format to polish your answers. You have time to think about the questions. I would expect fewer um's and less rambling than an in-person deal.
4. Turn the damn lights on. That's how cameras work.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I wouldn't ask a candidate who wants to do sales programming questions and I wouldn't ask a potential programmer a bunch of soft skill questions.
So, you would ask the exact same questions of every single person that wants to do sales? And the exact same questions of every single person that wants to do programming? If yes, then you're covered. If not, and you can't explain exactly why you asked each question of each person and how it's completely consistent with all other questioning you did, then you're open to claims of discrimination. And if you can explain exactly why you asked each question that you asked, then you're a liar because that's not how the brain actually works in the course of a conversation.