Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-26-2018, 09:44 AM
CAS

From the NY statistical programming meetup:

What Data Scientists Really Do, According to 50 Data Scientists

The audio is not that great, and the slides are out of focus for the first 15 minutes or so, but the slides are here:

https://www.slideshare.net/HugoBowne...ata-scientists

Quote:
Today's data scientists do three things:
  • Build Venn Diagrams
  • Have Imposter Syndrome
  • Love Logistic Regression
Also there's an interesting point in there about moving the profession towards a professional society with standardized vocabulary, ethics, and standards of practice.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:02 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

TTIWWP
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 12-27-2018, 12:11 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by examsarehard View Post
From the NY statistical programming meetup:

What Data Scientists Really Do, According to 50 Data Scientists

The audio is not that great, and the slides are out of focus for the first 15 minutes or so, but the slides are here:

https://www.slideshare.net/HugoBowne...ata-scientists

Also there's an interesting point in there about moving the profession towards a professional society with standardized vocabulary, ethics, and standards of practice.
They gonna add some exams too????????
Old 12-27-2018, 01:48 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
I agree that if someone says they're passionate about insurance, I think they're either a nutter or blowing smoke.

But I do think it's more common, especially at EL, for people, particularly interview candidates, to say that they're passionate about math and chose a "mathy" profession. I suspect a good number of these are actually earnest, but they're in for a rude awakening when they get on the job and realize there's not much in the way of math beyond arithmetic.
I think this cynicism is a bit too far. There are actuaries who are very good at their job, and it's hard to be good at your job if you're not passionate about it.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:59 PM

For the time I worked as an actuary I felt like the work I did had real social value. I found the foundations interesting, and that there were many important questions about the social value of insurance programs (whether private insurance or govt). I thought the day to day work was sometimes interesting and sometimes drudgery, but also thought I was doing it for a good reason.

These days I'm more passionate about my day to day work, but the social value proposition isn't as compelling (though I'm not maximizing click-through, either). The odds that I end up back in insurance (hopefully in a way that leverages both my credentials and what I've learned since out) is non-zero, with the biggest barrier being how technologically backward most ins companies tend to be, not the subject matter.

n=1, and I am ok being called a nutter, as I'm definitely an unusual individual.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:26 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
I agree that if someone says they're passionate about insurance, I think they're either a nutter or blowing smoke.

But I do think it's more common, especially at EL, for people, particularly interview candidates, to say that they're passionate about math and chose a "mathy" profession. I suspect a good number of these are actually earnest, but they're in for a rude awakening when they get on the job and realize there's not much in the way of math beyond arithmetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood J View Post
I think this cynicism is a bit too far. There are actuaries who are very good at their job, and it's hard to be good at your job if you're not passionate about it.
We could use a variety of different words from a qualitative perspective to describe how someone values the work they do on a day to day basis; passion, interest, etc. It feels common for people on this forum / in the actuarial profession to skirt away this value and focus on more quantifiable things, such as compensation. If we were to go to a forum full of starving artists, we might find the opposite. Those too focused on "passion" and barely able to make ends meet. This is why the value of doing one job over another job will vary by person, as everyone has different optimization functions across these 2 factors as well as many others.

However, let's focus on what passion / interest actually means. In a different thread, I think someone pointed out that passion isn't automatic and that it is acquired over time. In essence, a person's interest in something will grow the longer that they do it. I agree with that statement, so kudos to whoever wrote that. As Heywood points out, there are actuaries who are heavily passionate about what they do, but it is hard to extend that to their EL counterparts. With a limited exposure to insurance, it is difficult to conjure up an argument that one "loves" insurance. As Marcie pointed out, the initial interest in actuarial work usually stems from an interest in Math or Statistics, not insurance.

With that being said, there is a lingering mere-exposure effect that occurs regardless if someone has a latent preference for the field or not. Take our favorite example, a garbage collector. It is probably hard to imagine someone who is passionate about collecting garbage, but I think it is reasonable to assume that someone who has done it for 20+ years has grown familiar with the work and can do it well. Does that define "passion" well? It feels like there is more to it than that.

Let's use Math as an example. If two random people spend one year each working on Math problems, are they equally passionate about Math? Just the mere exposure alone would assume that they've probably grown fond of Math, regardless if they are good at it or not. Exposure is important, but there has to be a second component that is linked to each specific person with respect to the velocity at which they gain "passion" while under exposure. Regardless of why, some people just have a knack for Math and others don't. That creates less friction in acquiring "passion".

At the end of the day, we're most likely to be passionate about things that we do in our free time which increases exposure at our own selection. If you can make a decent living doing something in one of those areas, why wouldn't you chase it?

-Riley
Old 01-01-2019, 12:10 AM

The terms data science and data scientist sound gross.