Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 12-01-2018, 11:09 PM
SOA

Default Applying for a job when you previously rejected an offer from the same company

Looking for advice, preferably from people with experience in this situation Apologies in advance for the length!

10-12 months ago, I interviewed and was offered a position with a consulting company. The setup for the interview was entirely through one of their internal recruiters (the offer was also relayed through this person). The offer was fine (a slightly higher salary & more room for upward mobility than my current position), but I didn't accept (or negotiate at all). When I applied, I was really just trying to get an idea of my market value. As such, I didn't expect to get an offer and I wasn't really ready to make a move (for personal and professional reasons).

Flash forward to now -- I'm ready to seriously consider new opportunities and have applied at several places on my own and have started working with a recruiter to find other opportunities that may not be publicly posted.

The consulting company is still hiring; the open position on their website has a slightly different description from the one I applied to / was offered. My recruiter mentioned that he is unable to help out with this position/company because I've already been in contact with them, etc., which I understand.

I called the internal recruiter the week of Thanksgiving (so, about 10 days ago). I left a short message (reminded her who I was, said I'd like to speak to her, asked her to call me back, and gave my contact info) but I'm not sure what to do about following up. Do I send an email? Just go ahead and apply to the online job posting? Drop it completely because they're obviously never going to consider me again?

My thoughts/concerns are:
- maybe they're not interested/that bridge is burned
- maybe she's on vacation for the holiday
- maybe she knows why I'm reaching out and is running my name by the team/hiring manager again to see their thoughts before calling me back

I just don't know if I'm overthinking this??

In case it's relevant: I have 7-10 yrs of experience & I've had my ASA <3 yrs

Last edited by ActuarialChef; 12-02-2018 at 10:40 AM..
Old 12-01-2018, 11:26 PM

Overthinking. Just go ahead and apply again.

Iíve had multiple companies offer me a position after I previously turned one down.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:50 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for years

Depends on the personality of the hiring manager but I'd say most actuaries wouldn't hold it against you, especially if you were professional throughout the process including the rejection of the offer.
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:35 AM
SOA AAA

You won't get the job if you don't apply.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:45 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Gretzky
You won't get the job if you don't apply.
IFYP, Non-Doctor.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:46 AM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

We hired someone who turned us down previously, and it's worked out great.

Unless you burned bridges when you turned them down previously, what's changed since they liked you enough to offer you a job?
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 12-02-2018, 06:04 AM
SOA

She turned me down the first time. But 13 years later and we are still married.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuarialChef View Post
- maybe they're not interested/that bridge is burned
As people have said, very unlikely, but depends on how you handled it.

Also, they already spent time on you and you walked away, so you need to have a story as to why this isn't just a replay; they probably were left wondering if you did it just to get a salary match at your current employer (and are now doing the same thing). Nothing wrong with some version of the truth, that you realized you weren't ready to make a move and now you definitely are, and why professionally, family, etc aren't in the exact same spot.

I would def give it time because of the holiday (although if the vmail greeting didn't say anything about being away, that seems unlikely to be the cause), and make at least one more attempt to chat to a live person that you've met, before you go to the online resume submit and get into the generic HR machine. Whether another call or an email, I'd do that next, JMO.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:16 AM
CAS

And on the flip side, if they have decided to blackball you because of your prior interaction, there's nothing worse that's going to happen because you apply again. There is really no downside, other than your time on the application.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:00 PM

If you apply, they might just decide "We don't feel like putting forth any more effort or taking any more time to keep hunting for people, and we liked this person enough to make an offer before, so let's just take them this time to get our spot filled before the budgeting process blindly takes it away from us." The biggest dependency there would probably be if you now demand much higher compensation.

If you don't apply, they will probably call you and offer your about $35 less than they offered you before, and they will further require you to generate a picture of you planting a maple tree on the next Arbor Day that comes around. That was a joke.

I think they won't hire you if you don't apply. There are dozens of companies that haven't hired me that I have not applied to. Their loss.