Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 12-03-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
And on the flip side, if they have decided to blackball you because of your prior interaction, there's nothing worse that's going to happen because you apply again. There is really no downside, other than your time on the application.
The OP might get double secret blackballed. In that case they will call their contacts at one other company at random and tell them to never hire this person, i.e. they will automatically be blackballed at a second company, and which one it is will be a secret.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:28 PM
CAS

OP: apply, and see what happens.

The other young'ins out there: don't apply for a job unless you're somewhat willing to take it. Interviewing with the sole purpose of "finding your market value" with no intention of taking the job is not nice to the people who are going to waste their time interviewing you.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:30 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormLetter View Post
The OP might get double secret blackballed. In that case they will call their contacts at one other company at random and tell them to never hire this person, i.e. they will automatically be blackballed at a second company, and which one it is will be a secret.
First rule of double secret blackball....
Old 12-05-2018, 09:29 PM
SOA

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. There are areas where this community really shines in the helpful feedback it provides - career advice is definitely one of those areas.

I heard back from the internal recruiter - she was unexpectedly out of the office and had a lot to catch up on. We had a very nice conversation; she planned to reach out to the person in charge of hiring (who I met in person previously) and follow up with me by the end of the week to let me know if they would be interested.

I guess it's a good sign that she followed up less than 20 minutes later saying they were interested? (kidding, I know it's a good sign! )

Just to follow up on a few responses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Also, they already spent time on you and you walked away, so you need to have a story as to why this isn't just a replay; they probably were left wondering if you did it just to get a salary match at your current employer (and are now doing the same thing). Nothing wrong with some version of the truth, that you realized you weren't ready to make a move and now you definitely are, and why professionally, family, etc aren't in the exact same spot.
I was definitely professional when I turned down the offer originally. Even then, I knew I didn't want to burn any bridges. And I do (did?) have reasons for why I turned down the offer (good ones, at that!), but I don't want to get into too much detail here. Based on my specific situation, I think it's clear this isn't a replay of last time. I think the recruiter sees that and agrees.

Also, the recruiter was aware of my current salary and the salary I was offered was not significantly higher. In my specific scenario at least, I can't imagine she thought I was shooting for a salary match

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnLevel View Post
The other young'ins out there: don't apply for a job unless you're somewhat willing to take it. Interviewing with the sole purpose of "finding your market value" with no intention of taking the job is not nice to the people who are going to waste their time interviewing you.
I agree with this so, so much. It was incredibly insensitive of me to do that, and I realize that 100%. A lot of people spent a lot of time and energy on my interview process, and I'm sure they weren't thrilled that I rejected the offer without even negotiating.

**Wish me luck!!**
Old 12-11-2018, 12:28 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

If you get into consulting make sure you get a BIG salary bump. Not worth it otherwise.

I turned down an offer and accepted one from the same company about a year apart. They did ask what had changed. Pretty sure my answer wasn't even that good.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:51 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
If you get into consulting make sure you get a BIG salary bump. Not worth it otherwise.

I turned down an offer and accepted one from the same company about a year apart. They did ask what had changed. Pretty sure my answer wasn't even that good.
I'm sort-of in consulting already. No, that's not true. I definitely am in consulting already. I don't work for an insurance company, etc. We are just fairly small and have few clients.

Compared to the 2018 DW Simpson salary survey, my 2018 base salary is currently a little on the low side but my total 2018 compensation is right in line with their graph/function.

The offer I got earlier this year from the new company is difficult to evaluate... The base salary was a smidge higher than my current salary, but the "target bonus %" seems small. Say new company's target bonus is P%, my bonus at my current company has been between 3.5*P% and 6.5*P% the past 3-5 years. But I have no idea what it takes to get >P% at new company, if it's even possible.

Negotiating based on this semi-arbitrary "target" compared to consistently higher historical averages at my current company is going to throw me for a loop.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:44 PM
CAS

how much will that much money matter to you?
Old 12-11-2018, 03:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
how much will that much money matter to you?
Well I definitely don't want to take a huge hit! If employees regularly get the target % or below, that could put me at the very low end of the comp range (which, if I'm honest, I would not appreciate very much).

If I could expect salary to grow more quickly in exchange, I could take an initial (slight) decrease to my overall annual compensation in stride. I've consistently gotten 5% to 12% at my current employer (low end = no exam passes, high end = multiple exam passes or achievement of ASA) -- Anyone have insight into avg annual raises at large consulting firms?? Does it tend to vary by specialty (life/health/pension)?
Old 12-11-2018, 03:24 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Never take for granted the 'expectation' of salary growth. Get it now or never.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Never take for granted the 'expectation' of salary growth. Get it now or never.
Mostly agree here. However, nothing wrong with having a discussion of future expectations before accepting - if they tell you that you can expect +25% when you start managing projects on your own, which you can expect to happen in 12 months, once you understand how they expect you to manage, that's worth something.

General vague platitudes about "we pay for performance", expectations you've created without discussing with them, or "hope" is worth considerably less.