Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-05-2019, 10:01 PM
Maximally Qualified's Avatar
Maximally Qualified Maximally Qualified is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Studying for years
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshChicago View Post
Should flip the question to "is it possible to have a good career WITH finishing the exams?"

A credential puts a ceiling on you lots of places - too many stereotypes keep actuaries out of the c-suite.
This uses a different definition of "good career" than the one OP seems to use
__________________
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-06-2019, 05:35 PM
hjacjswo hjacjswo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
College: About to be a super senior
Posts: 1,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshChicago View Post
Should flip the question to "is it possible to have a good career WITH finishing the exams?"

A credential puts a ceiling on you lots of places - too many stereotypes keep actuaries out of the c-suite.
Pretty ridiculous. Obviously most credentialed actuaries won't be CEOs. But, that doesn't mean the credential is preventing them.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-06-2019, 10:23 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 93,871
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshChicago View Post
Should flip the question to "is it possible to have a good career WITH finishing the exams?"

A credential puts a ceiling on you lots of places - too many stereotypes keep actuaries out of the c-suite.
Load of crap.
__________________
"Facebook is a toilet." -- LWTwJO
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Fracktuary Fracktuary is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Load of crap.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-07-2019, 01:58 PM
Kalani Sitake's Avatar
Kalani Sitake Kalani Sitake is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshChicago View Post
Should flip the question to "is it possible to have a good career WITH finishing the exams?"

A credential puts a ceiling on you lots of places - too many stereotypes keep actuaries out of the c-suite.
I'd be interested in what you've seen to prompt this statement.
__________________
ka-lah-nee sih-TA-kay
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-07-2019, 02:05 PM
Canadiens Fan Canadiens Fan is online now
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Studying for LFV-C
Favorite beer: Blanche de Chambly
Posts: 4,284
Default

It's possible but I'm thinking one would have a lower level of job security if they don't have all the exams passed.
__________________
ASA LP LFV-C LRM
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-07-2019, 02:22 PM
fallaway fallaway is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
It's possible but I'm thinking one would have a lower level of job security if they don't have all the exams passed.
It was possible in the past, when there were not many people taking exams and people were not pressured to take/finish exams - that must be 20+ years ago... I know quite a few high rank sr management people are only ASA (in their late 50s early 60s)

But in the current environment when you, without finishing exams, have great track record of performance and potentials, it's just hard not to find another candidate that has all the same qualifications but also has finished exams, so the choice is easy
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-07-2019, 02:39 PM
CuriousGeorge CuriousGeorge is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallaway View Post
It was possible in the past, when there were not many people taking exams and people were not pressured to take/finish exams - that must be 20+ years ago... I know quite a few high rank sr management people are only ASA (in their late 50s early 60s)

But in the current environment when you, without finishing exams, have great track record of performance and potentials, it's just hard not to find another candidate that has all the same qualifications but also has finished exams, so the choice is easy
That happens often enough today, as well. But the OP was asking about no credential. Career ASA is very different than that.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-07-2019, 02:54 PM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
That happens often enough today, as well. But the OP was asking about no credential. Career ASA is very different than that.
I'm not sure it's very different anymore, George. From what I gather, ASA ain't what it used to be.

(Disclaimer: I'm CAS so maybe not well informed on the history of ASA.)

Last edited by Marcie; 01-07-2019 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-07-2019, 03:16 PM
mathmajor's Avatar
mathmajor mathmajor is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nowhere in particular
Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit
Posts: 9,784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
(Disclaimer: I'm CAS so maybe not well informed)
__________________
FSA
If I can become one, anyone can, right?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.18127 seconds with 9 queries