Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:30 PM
SOA

College: Cuny
Default How hard is the actuarial job

How hard is an el actuarial job given that one has passed four exams?
What is major difference between passing exams and doing the job?
Thank you for any comments
Old 01-09-2019, 09:22 PM
CAS

They're pretty unrelated.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:41 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
plz join

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:04 AM
SOA

it hard beyond dream

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 01-10-2019, 12:47 AM
CAS

it's super easy bro... the only reason the exams exist is to keep ugly, yella, no-good keisters out of the pool. Once you pass the exams, you're untouchable cause so few people can replace you... the job ... a programmer can teach a monkey to do. essentially all we do is apply modelling software that has been created by programmers/datascientists to datasets that have been gathered by IT folks.

You can think of us as the middlemen between the sales folks and accountants/IT staff/data scientists. We collect the premium from the agents (less commission), pocket a nice hefty margin, and forward the rest to the less fortunate.

Once you get your FSA/FCAS, you've made it to the inner circle. You attend annual "meetings" which are typically in cities where people suffer either from a gambling or sex problem. Think vegas, louisiana, atlanta, anaheim, etc. Your company pays to fly you out to these meetings and all you do is network and play icebreaker games. Once its 8pm, you go out and gamble away till you hit your reimbursement cap or till you found someone to take back to your room.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:51 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=337265
Old 01-10-2019, 08:46 AM
COPA

Studying for PA

there are easy actuarial jobs and really hard ones

there are jobs that use no prelim exam material and there are jobs that constantly use the material in the prelims (sans MFE)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:05 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitive Tangerine View Post

there are jobs that use no prelim exam material and there are jobs that constantly use the material in the prelims (sans MFE)
This. Although most jobs use the material on the upper exams more than the material on the preliminary exams (at least on the CAS side).
Old 01-10-2019, 09:39 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitive Tangerine View Post

I use very little from most exams, particularly the prelims (exam S/C come closest to used, largely just for the credibility piece).

I use a little bit of 6 just for knowledge about what's in statutory filings, etc. as well as info about flood.

I use A LOT of Exam 5, if you basically took each of the Exam 5 pieces and expanded them to reflect using it day in day out.

Haven't taken 7-9 yet, though from what I can tell would not use much 7, would use a little bit of 8 and 9 at only certain times.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:43 AM
CAS SOA

In life insurance, you're essentially an accountant doing very repetitive tasks that should have been automated a long time ago. I would imagine this is why pension work is dried up. I recall the one time I used content from the exams was some small annuity calculation (which the PMT function in excel did for me).

In health and property and casualty, although I don't know for certain myself, there is severity to consider and there is innovation so I assume you need to have some idea about what you're doing.

Be cautious, I think the easier route (life) will dry up soon. Life is not required by law, whereas health and car insurance is. People no longer have very many children and have no business buying life insurance.

Last edited by BowBow; 01-10-2019 at 09:48 AM..