Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 11-05-2001, 02:18 PM
Anonymous

I am writting course 2 on Wed and I was wondering what study materials I should use. I have Actex, the texts, the temple study guide and one made up by my employer. I am not going to sleep until the exam and figured since I passed course 1 after 1 day of study, I should be able to pass course 2 after 2 days of study. any help would be great. thanks. by the way, I have never had a course in finance , economics, or the theory of interest.
Old 11-05-2001, 02:22 PM

Favorite beer: Mountain Dew

MR FSA:

Why are you taking course 2? I'd start with a course in speed reading if I were you.
Old 11-05-2001, 02:30 PM
Anonymous

I can read extremly fast. And my ability to master study material is excellent. I just need to know which guide to use.
Old 11-05-2001, 03:18 PM
Anonymous

Since you can read so quickly, why not use both?

Cheers.
Old 11-05-2001, 03:55 PM
SOA

Are you for real??
Old 11-05-2001, 04:06 PM

Um..... Well, I believe people can pass C1 with 1 day of studying (if you've seen the material before).

Course 2 with 2 days (without any of the material previously) is very close to impossible. Most people I know who hadn't had econ or finance took 2 sittings to pass, and studied 2-4 months each sitting.

And Course 3 in 3 days, and 4 in 4 days, (so on) are ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE. Ok, well I guess your chance would equal the odds of guessing ~23 questions correct out of 40. But no way you could learn the material.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:12 PM
SOA

Studying for PEC

Its all talk. Theres no way one can study for only 2 days for Exam 2. I was an econ major in college...and to try and cram Micro, macro and interest theory in a two day period is next to impossible if you have never seen the stuff before. Too many theorem's, diagrams and situations where non-conventional reasoning is involved.

Old 11-05-2001, 04:26 PM
Anonymous

OK, I am done with the macro note. seems pretty simple, onto the price thoery book.

CAN ANYONE SUGGEST ANYTHING
Old 11-07-2001, 05:04 PM

If you are taking c2, what does the FSA stand for?
Old 11-07-2001, 05:18 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Mr. FSA,
I would recommend the Actex manuals and the Donna Claire manual. I just took the exam today and only studied for it for one day. When I passed course one, I just got up a little early that morning and studied at breakfast. So I figured a full day for course 2 was more than enough. I'm pretty sure I passed too. If you didn't pass this time, just start using the above manuals mid-May. Does anyone know of any course three manuals I can use? I've never seen any of the material so I figure I need at least 15 minutes to study.