Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 05-04-2012, 01:15 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldancer911 View Post
Check out IBuyPower computers. I have heard from people they are pretty good. I have never been a fan of alienware....too expensive for what you get.
Wow, that's cool. But of course my eyes are bigger than my budget, lol.

First try came out at $1500. I think I'm going to try to stay in the $750-1000 range for this one, heh. Probably won't get the latest CPU.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:29 AM
SOA

Hmm, this actually seems solid. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...0QGhe0hI43ukGQ
Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVLCIV View Post
I'd look for a (much) better graphics card.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

how much is it? It's not giving me a price, says it needs bought in the store and when I click on a store, the computer doesn't come up.

I agree with ian grey about the graphics card and the 280 watt power supply is kinda scary for the stuff in that computer. You need to at least double that, if not triple.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
how much is it? It's not giving me a price, says it needs bought in the store and when I click on a store, the computer doesn't come up.

I agree with ian grey about the graphics card and the 280 watt power supply is kinda scary for the stuff in that computer. You need to at least double that, if not triple.
Ah, sale must have ended yesterday. Was $899.

I know nothing about what a good graphics card is, so I'll probably have to run anything I'm considering by the AO first
Old 05-04-2012, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. Still haven't made a move yet. Waiting till after my exam (5/10) to see what I'm going to do.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVLCIV View Post
Ah, sale must have ended yesterday. Was $899.

I know nothing about what a good graphics card is, so I'll probably have to run anything I'm considering by the AO first
This website is a great quick resource for comparing video cards. It doesn't take everything into account, but it's still pretty solid. Just sort by the rank and do a search for whatever video card you are looking for.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

For reference, the recommended video cards for D3 are currently ranked 67th and 61st. The card your linked PC had is ranked 374th and is only $40 to buy separately.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:32 AM
CAS AAA

Here's a list of CPU benchmarks. The I7-2600 on the Lenovo you listed ranked pretty darn good.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
Old 05-04-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post

eeek....280 watt PSU? That's hardly enough to power a CPU/Motherboard. Now way a decent video card would work with that thing.

Most gaming type PCs have around a 750watt power supply...and then a lot of cheap ones jack up the amps in the less important connectors in order to show a higher overall wattage.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 AM
CAS AAA

if I were looking right now for a computer in your range ($850 or so), I'd probably go right here: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_III

I bought a cyberpower 1.5 yrs ago and haven't been disappointed. I don't even think I'd modify much. The i5 isn't ranked much lower than the i7 you posted and the video card is a million times better. Actually you could switch to AMD Radeon HD 6790 in that setup for $0 and it's ranked even higher than the GeForce GTX 550 Ti that comes with it. Shoot for $16 you can even go up to the Radeon HD 6850 which is ranked #24 in Chronus's link. Power supply is 600 watts, that's reasonable (i've had a 500 watt supply go out on a computer with less equipment, so i might spend the $10 to get to 700, just to be safe). I might spring for the extra case fan too, my buddy got a cyberpower after I got mine and he got the extra case fan and it creates an air flow through the case, his stays a lot cooler than mine.

one downside, they usually take 3 weeks or so to arrive.