Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 AM
SOA AAA

College: University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
would you suggest buying some real cheap components and assembling that first?

I've often thought about assembling my own, right now I'm happy with my computer, but in another 2 or 3 years, I might consider doing it. I didn't know if I should start now with some cheap practice parts or just wait until then with the good parts that I want to use.
You can probably practice by taking apart some old computer that you have and see how they fit together. I just started with the computer I wanted to build, didn't buy cheap parts to practice, but it might be a good idea to do so. Just remember to be very careful with the CPU pins on the motherboard, they are easily bent.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
would you suggest buying some real cheap components and assembling that first?

I've often thought about assembling my own, right now I'm happy with my computer, but in another 2 or 3 years, I might consider doing it. I didn't know if I should start now with some cheap practice parts or just wait until then with the good parts that I want to use.
Someone you know should have an old computer, If you can just dissassemble and reassemble that, you'll have the basics down. Most of it is, fit the only that that will fit into this slot.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 AM
SOA

Isn't the hardest part getting the chip on the mobo? And can't you bypass that by buying a mobo w/ chip in place already?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 AM
SOA

I found the book Build It Fix It own It super helpful when I built my PC.

I would definitely build again when i replace my current PC. You can get a lot more bang for your buck that way.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Isn't the hardest part getting the chip on the mobo? And can't you bypass that by buying a mobo w/ chip in place already?
Definitely not the hardest part. It's one of the higher rooms for error (at least severity-wise), but really not difficult.

Dealing with cables management is really the pain... and putting on after-market coolers takes time.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 AM
CAS

I'm starting to get excited for Diablo 3, after checking the site and learning about the classes. Probably going to pre-order from Blizzard so I can pre-install (I assume you can)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:26 AM
CAS

For the guy who wants to build a PC... check out the features on Tested.com where they have videos of them building a PC live... it's about an hour to hour and a half. You'll need to search the site to find it.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 AM

I just built a new PC and it was my first time doing it. Honestly it wasn't that hard. Youtube is definitely your friend. Newegg did a three part video on how to build a PC where they went through two different builds, a high end and a mid range build. It pretty much shows you exactly what you need to know.

I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to build a PC for the first time.

Part 1 - Choosing Your Components - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
Part 2 - The Build - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
Part 3 - Installing Windows & Finishing Touches - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok
Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
Definitely not the hardest part. It's one of the higher rooms for error (at least severity-wise), but really not difficult.

Dealing with cables management is really the pain... and putting on after-market coolers takes time.

Actually putting the processor in the motherboard is really easy, but it is a delicate part so you just want to be very careful when handling it. Putting in the after market cooler was definitely the thing that I thought was the most abstract/complicated, but after researching it a bit it wasn't bad.

Cable management can definitely be a lot easier if you research cases and don't just go for the cheapest one you can find. I decided to pay a little more and get a Corsair case which has phenomenal cord management. Also getting a modular power supply makes cable management a breeze.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post

The PCs I have built, the processor basically just drops into the motherboard.

But I very nervous when putting the heatsink/fan on the processor. Always paranoid I am going to break the processor and some of them you have to push down quite hard on in order to snap into place.

Other than that it is basically just clicking things into place.