Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 AM
SOA

Adapt was probably the main reason I passed MFE and MLC. It helps you with the wording of the actual exams (mine were very similar) as well as learning to manage your time since you do the questions under exam conditions online.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 AM
SOA

I don't know too much about Adapt but I studied from ASM manual and I answered all the questions this past sitting. if you study the ASM manual thoroughly and do all the exercises and most of the Practice exams you'll easily pass this exam. I used ASM for MLC as well when they had that brutal exam in May and I passed that one.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Northern Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkt View Post
First of all, congrats on achieving such a high earned level! You seem to be in a good shape of passing the exam. As one of the main authors who contributes to ADAPT MFE/3F question bank, I'd say level 4 - 6 questions are most relevant to the questions that you'll encounter in the actual exams. I'd suggest using custom exams to do more questions from level 4 - 6, and occasionally some exams from level 7 and above.
I would agree w/ the suggestions from TKT
Old 01-27-2013, 05:44 PM
SOA

College: Universidad de los Andes

CoachingActuaries is definitely a solid tool for assessing your readiness for any exam
Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 PM
SOA

I'm interested in knowing how helpful ADAPT is for this exam. Any thoughts on how to reap the most benefits out of ADAPT?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:23 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiaaaa View Post
I'm interested in knowing how helpful ADAPT is for this exam. Any thoughts on how to reap the most benefits out of ADAPT?
I'd say very helpful. Just took the exam today (and passed!), and I had several questions that I thought "Hey, I've done a problem almost just like this in ADAPT!".
Old 03-13-2013, 04:42 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
I'd say very helpful. Just took the exam today (and passed!), and I had several questions that I thought "Hey, I've done a problem almost just like this in ADAPT!".
Could you share with me your strategy of using ADAPT? I want to learn about the "optimal" way of utilizing it and I will go with that way.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: ESB

Quote:
Could you share with me your strategy of using ADAPT? I want to learn about the "optimal" way of utilizing it and I will go with that way.
I also highly recommend ADAPT. I took the exam today and answered 27 of the questions and passed I think fairly comfortably.

Once I got above an earned level of 6 on ADAPT I still stayed in the 4-6 exam range to get the most exposure from questions of difficulty that I anticipated on the actual test. I only wish that I had thrown in one or two level 6.98 exams (my final earned level) to see some of the most challenging problems but I don't think it's worth your time crushing the super difficult high level exams for a while.

Exams: P FM MFE C MLC?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 PM
CAS

Studying for CPCU 553
College: tDEC survivor
Favorite beer: Capt'n Eli's root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post

I definitely second this. Many of the exam questions looked almost identical to problems I saw in ADAPT.

Quote:
I just aced MFE and I can tell you what my strategy was. I made sure I finished going through whatever study guide(s) I was using 30 days prior to the exam. Then I purchased a 30-day ADAPT subscription and did a full 30-problem practice exam every day. To get the most of out of this strategy, I treated every practice exam like it was the real thing. Always stuck to the 3-hour time limit. No graphing calculators or any other calculators except those that would be allowed on the real exam. And no notes. I'll say that again because it's important: NO NOTES. It's hard as hell at first, but after enough practice you start to get used to the way the exam flows and the earned level starts to go up fast. Once I got beyond an earned level of 7 I stopped doing exams every single day and switched to a "whenever it's convenient" schedule (which ended up being about every 2 days, occasionally 3). At this point increasing my level wasn't so important, it was just about keeping in the groove of the exam while still challenging myself with tough questions. I kept this up until about three days or so before the exam, at which point I went back to doing an exam every day, but instead of working at my earned level I did custom exams at level 5 or 6 since these are the most similar to the real exam.

I can tell you that after going through this process the actual exam felt incredibly easy, and this is coming from someone who failed miserably on his first attempt (without ADAPT), and never even had an ASM guide to look at.
Course on Professionalism [✔]
Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 PM
SOA

College: UCSD Alum
Default Very helpful advice by ManaKnight

+1 for Manaknight for offering awesome advice. I would say his post is the best way to prepare for this exam.

My take on ADAPT is it is very very helpful. My exam was around an ADAPT level 5-6. Practice enough everyday for a month and you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaknight14 View Post

I definitely second this. Many of the exam questions looked almost identical to problems I saw in ADAPT.

I just aced MFE and I can tell you what my strategy was. I made sure I finished going through whatever study guide(s) I was using 30 days prior to the exam. Then I purchased a 30-day ADAPT subscription and did a full 30-problem practice exam every day. To get the most of out of this strategy, I treated every practice exam like it was the real thing. Always stuck to the 3-hour time limit. No graphing calculators or any other calculators except those that would be allowed on the real exam. And no notes. I'll say that again because it's important: NO NOTES. It's hard as hell at first, but after enough practice you start to get used to the way the exam flows and the earned level starts to go up fast. Once I got beyond an earned level of 7 I stopped doing exams every single day and switched to a "whenever it's convenient" schedule (which ended up being about every 2 days, occasionally 3). At this point increasing my level wasn't so important, it was just about keeping in the groove of the exam while still challenging myself with tough questions. I kept this up until about three days or so before the exam, at which point I went back to doing an exam every day, but instead of working at my earned level I did custom exams at level 5 or 6 since these are the most similar to the real exam.

I can tell you that after going through this process the actual exam felt incredibly easy, and this is coming from someone who failed miserably on his first attempt (without ADAPT), and never even had an ASM guide to look at.